Should I Release My Aircraft?

I have been building a Learjet 35A that I was going to release as freeware for everyone to enjoy as a stream gauge corporate jet. My plan was to make this aircraft as complete as possible, so not study level, but pretty complete. After seeing how all of the third party aircraft break after each sim update, I’m beginning to wonder if I should release it. My issue is that, although I do have programming experience, I have not coded in a long time, so to say I’m rusty is an understatement. I do believe that I can figure out what I will need to do to get the plane in there (with questions in here I’m sure), but after the next sim update, I would not even know where to begin in trying to figure out what would have broken. I just think there would be a lot of pressure on me to get the aircraft working again, and I may not be able to do that as quickly as some might want, so I’m torn. What do you all think? Are the things that typically break aircraft difficult to figure out? Are they typically easy fixes?

BTW, the aircraft is roughly 90% complete in Blender, minus the textures still. Once I’m done there, I will then need to get the aircraft into MSFS and get everything working. So, I figure that I’m a ways off still. Thanks.

Edit: I know many would like to see the aircraft but I am looking to hear from other aircraft developers to hear your experience with these sim updates.

3 Likes

I certainly would like to try this jet so I’m hoping you’ll release it. If it’s freeware then I wouldn’t worry about being under pressure on updates. As long as you make it clear on the download page then people can’t complain. I’m sure some will anyway but don’t sweat it. I’d be happy to get whatever use out of it that I could. If it breaks then it breaks.

1 Like

If you release it as an Alpha and ask people to report issues and get on board to help testing it, you may engender a bit of a community attitude and bypass some of the otherwise guaranteed complaints about issues and updates. Especially if you promote it on Avsim or Sim Outhouse or one of the non MS Forums.

Just be aware that here on the main forums we have quite a few entitled posters who can get very demanding even for freeware aircraft, just ignore them.

3 Likes