Should I wait 7000X3D or should I buy 5800x3D or i9-13900K

Id love to see it as well!

It’s looking like the 7000 x3d will initially only be available in 6 and 8 cores. That strikes me as unfortunate, but it probably won’t affect the use case for MSFS (or DCS or other games).

1 Like

Sure it will affect, les performance, less gains, that will make many people think about not upgrading to the new CPUs and stay with the 5800x3D.

1 Like

Yeah with that info, i decided on getting a 13900K, a good mobo, 7600+ ram, and will try overclocking it as much as possible once i get it under water.

Was really hoping there was going to be a >8 core X3D SKU. And maybe there will be, but rumors are not amd it would make some sense as it would not only be expemlnsive to have the 3D cache on multiple chiplets and difficult to control&cool(but for sure doable). Lastly, something AMD may consider us that multiple chiplets with 3D Cache would also start creeping on the EPYC server segmentation(lots O caché).

Sooo…i just decided i don’t want to wait a couple months for the rumored announcement at CES and then have to wait multiple more months for reviews/bemchmarks to decide on a 13900K or 7000X3D.

Oh well. Im just going to be happy with what i can build now. Been waiting already for too long lol.

2 Likes

Glad you made a decision!! Good luck with it and don’t look back lol

1 Like

Please note that: with all the latest Mobo available on market at the moment, DDR5 run only 1 rank to get 7600+

You can run either 1x16GB or 1x32GB, you cannot run 2x16GB to get that high speed, otherwise they will reduce to lower speed or run at SPD-Speed.

1 Like

I am going to give it a shot anyway, I am seeing success on the forum that I like to read overclock dot net and they are able to get Dual Channel 2x16GB working on new high end Z790 motherboards at 7600MHz+. I am making sure to get RAM that is on the QVL for my mobo.

I have my 13900KF, temporary cooler, and a Z790 Asus Maximus that is on the way. But since i got it Amazon and it is estimated delivery of 1-2 weeks, I am going to use that time to make sure i am getting the best RAM kit. I have a good deal of experience overclocking on high end Asus mobo’s, so I optimistic.

Acrually its not dual channel per say, its 4 x 32 bit. I forgot the spec is different in DDR5(I am so used to DDR4).

Also, random question, but is there anyway to edit posts? I only see a way to delete not edit. I tried looking around but I do not see that info, so I am assummimg editting is not a thing(which has its benefits).

Just click on the pencil at the bottom of your post…

1 Like

Actually at 4k resolution, ram speed has negligible impact. Even ddr5 vs ddr4 makes little difference

1 Like

I also did not want to wait any longer, and pulled the trigger on a 5800x3D. I’m happy with the performance in MSFS, but I’m also prepared to be begrudged when the new x3D CPUS launch and prove to be much faster :smile:

2 Likes

Oh for sure. I just enjoy overclocking for fun, not neccessary for real world gains.

1 Like

Does anyone here know if there is a nice comparison between 5800X3D/i9-13900K/7950X in one video ? Better to show them with FSLTL or AIG where it’s populated with lots of AI Traffic to force CPU to work at limits.

1 Like

Oh I am sure it will be for some games, including MSFS. But one of my main issues is I need this PC for my software dev work as well, so I do need the cores. If there ends up being a 7950X3D released in the next 6 months, then yeah ill be salty.

Brand new PC, I’d probably wait for the AM5 X3D. If you were AM4, go for it now. There are rumours and whispers about 7800X3D releasing in Feb, nothing official from AMD so you could be waiting a while, no one knows for sure yet.

That said, AM4 parts are still good (and getting cheaper) and such a build should see you right for another 3 to 4 years.

My personal experience with the 5800X3D is it is Godly performance in FS, frames are smooth, even with mods, FSLTL etc. Only time frames drop is if I do a return leg, you’ll have probably seen this is a bug at the moment.

3 Likes

My concern is that I’m running i7-10700K therefore if I ever decide to change now, there will be also a Mobo change as well. 5800X3D prices are sharply reduced now, but I just don’t know if the newer X3D will perform much much better compared to 5800X3D, of course I’m only thinking MSFS world.

Also I’m gonna reask my question again because it got lost above somewhere.
Does anyone know if Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX is an okay mobo for DDR5 for AMD ? I don’t need a super mobo for that.

I can honestly say the ROG Strix B550, I’ve always had Asus and they’ve always been super reliable for me at least. It has some good features on it and just does what a motherboard is supposed to. Can’t really say anything about Gigabyte sadly, I know the bad press they’ve had over the past couple of years with PSUs and what not has put me off. Which is a shame as they used to be one of the best.

I’m in the same boat. 8-cores is not good enough for my work. I"m on 5900X now, 12 cores. If they release 7900X3D that’s what I’ll be getting. But rumours are only 7800X3D for now, which is a bummer. AMD is supposed to announce on CES, so first days of January. We’ll see. There is a small chance that 7800X3D would be so fast single-core that it would beat 5900X in multi-core tests by a significant margin. If so, it would still be an upgrade for me, then I’m game. But if it’s a downgrade, considering a new system needed (motherboard + expensive DDR5 RAM of which I need 64Gb) it won’t look very appealing to me. Depending on how it compares to 7900X or Intel I may go either way. Would much prefer 7900X3D though…

Hi there!

We need to keep this topic alive!

I’m in the same boat. Looking for a new PC basically for MSFS use (eventually giving VR a try further down the road) and doubting what CPU to go with… and the research and decision tree is driving me crazy!

Right now I’m looking at three possible setups…

Setup A
Intel Core i5-13600KF

Setup B
AMD Ryzen 7 7700X

Setup C
Wait for the 7xxx X3D models that some say will be announced at CES 2023 come January…

As for a graphic card I can’t make my mind up either but will possibly wait to see what the Radeon RX 7900 XTX and 7900 XT have to offer…

Please share your setup research and decisions!

Personally, I think CPU decision is easy for you. If you’re not doing work on the same PC - nothing is going to beat 7xxx X3D. It’s for me that the desicion is more difficult, because of work, so 8-cores is not enough for me. For MSFS it’s a no-brainer.

With GPU - beware of AMD GPUs if you are into VR. I have a total catastrophe with their older card and my Rift S. Had to sell the card, because I intended it as an upgrade for GTX1660 and instead it wither worked worse in VR with lower FPS or just refused to work in VR at all (X-Plane). From what I hear, their more recent cards are not that good with VR and the consensus is go Nvidia. Also raytracing is a big thing becoming common now, and AMD is not going to reach Nvidia with that even the the upcoming cards. I just cringed and got a 4090… Amazing GPU, but very pricey and ridiculously big.