Should I wait on MSFS2020?

You don’t need ActiveSky with MSFS. AT ALL. The default weather is way better than ActiveSky could ever hope for - and I am a P3D ActiveSky user. Don’t need to worry too much in terms of scenery either - unless you want specific airports. It all looks better than P3D.

P3D v5.1 WILL be rough on your card - make sure to dial down settings. What was Ultra in 4 is now Medium in v5. Don’t try to max it out, or you will get DXGI Device Hung errors as per DirectX 12. If you run MSFS with your hardware you will be fine - it runs better than P3D v5. That being said, 5.1 is great. You won’t be able to use your PMDG 777 with it yet - they are about to release a new version for v5. Your TFDI 717 is probably out as well - double check that it’s compatible with 5.1 before the upgrade. The rest should be fine - you will need to upgrade your 737NGXu to a newer version, I believe, but I think it’s free.

YOU SHOULD DEFINETLY WAIT!!

I´m in in Flight simming, starting with x-Plane 11. Since August ´20, I´m also in with the FS2020. And to be honest, I´m going to try to get my 120bucks back tomorrow by buying some stocks or whatever.

Since August 20, I´m only getting dissapointed with each day, playng this GAME and missing the SIM. Disspointing with every update, every “World Update”, every bug fixation, every topic here in the forums…

I can tell you why (may other users also identify theirselves with this rediculous circus…)

1. Optics of MFS 2020 were always a blockbuster! But this is absolutely superfluous when the realism of Planes, aerodynamics, ground movement KI etc. is not realistic in any way! You feel it like “Why the Fuel truck is driving on the taxiways, why the ATC stopps my rolling of a heavy bird for having passing by a FORKLIFT!! on the other taxiway??”…

2.Missing Character of Realism : You can choose, how realistic the bird should fly, how the system will support you and your skills etc. But even if your a real pilot or a hardcore simmer, you will always have that feeling of sitting in an arcade box, alot of knops are inoperable, alot of services and procedures don´t exist. This is not a Sim in my eyes.

1. Upgrades and Bug fixes: Everytime when “THEY” try to upgrade something, improve something or try to kill bugs, several other (often times more dramatic) failures occure. For example, last Wolrd Update 3: Since yesterday I only got trouble with this s+it and it´s also the reason for this post. Planes behave like sail boats at landing (if landing is only possible because the floating never stops, even if the plane should already have a stall), Planes glow in the dark (contours), THe TBMs Steering horn shows in the wrong direction whilst steering, GAME crashes without any message or understandable reason,… I could count all night long

2. Performance: on Youtube, a Simmer showed that an Ultra-High End PC with an RTX 3900, i9-10900k and 128gb RAM is worthless and gives the same “performance in game” like an i5-9600K with a RTX 2070/80. FS2020 uses DX11 not 12 or Vulkan - ooooh woooow. And also doesn´t know, what a Multi-Core-CPU is or does or where it could be find… anyway.

3. This GAME is killing your Fun and Relaxation: If you wanna drift around in the skies and want to do some sightseeing - have Fun with FS2020. But if you want to simulate realistic flying - keep your Prepar/X-Plane alive and enjoy your pilot sim life eithout that stress.

Yes, you could say, "oh, it will take some time to get this huge and massive technology blaaah. Yeah. You can. But, remember that time when it was not possible to patch the patch by the patches patch by Internet… because it was not possible… and the creators had to work for money and glory. Today, they don´t care about Image or customer satisfaction. They just say “Oh, somebody will pay and play, but we will set the Tact how the Game goes, so they have to wait…”

Best regards,

from a really disappointed and frustrated User.

Toulouse.

3 Likes

Wow ! Crazy !!! So let’s say this …I only fly payware aircraft . I don’t fly GA aircraft payware and I DEFINITELY DO NOT FLY DEFAULT PAYWARE no matter what sim AT ALL!!! So my question is , when the time comes when PMDG, AEROSOFT, TFDI etc etc etc are all flowing stable in MSFS 2020…will it be like flying in a super improved p3d ? Meaning landscape wise ? When u say arcade GAME vs SIM, are you saying that because the way that everything is pretty much default like aircraft and airports . Aircraft act like flying a plane in PS4 GTA V & the airports look like Ps4 GTA V airport ? From the photos I see online , the bing maps and scenery of cities look amazing , add along some freeware or payware landmarks to increase your realism for each city u prefer . I’m not a default airport guy either . I have a lot of payware airports in P3D. So back to my main question , if the payware aircraft are finally stable lets say a year later , and I pay the upgrade fee from P3D purchased scenery to MSFS 2020, would u say that MSFS 2020 is a huge upgrade flying ifr flights ??

Yes. Basically, the only thing that is keeping P3D alive right now is the availability of aircraft. Once the aircraft is available in MSFS, I see NO reason to fly in P3D.

Also, you will probably not have many (if at all) discounts on airports - you will have to buy them again, but even default MSFS airports are MUCH superior to P3D ones. I have bought about 20 MSFS airports and honestly, I see no need to buy any more. I’d rather buy aircraft, and I own ALL MSFS aircraft that’s been released commercially (21 of them)…

Yes, MSFS is an upgrade in EVERY way, EXCEPT current lack of study-level aircraft.

1 Like

Very true.

But. I think P3D users probably have another full year they can enjoy before MSFS is up to snuff on what they are looking for most likely.

(I’m not a P3D user anymore since v3 - no dog in this hunt…)

Well, you left out very unrealistic aerodynamics, scenery that is great in some places and horrible in others. Terrible weather system, slow loading at every level, terrible control interface and most promised online realitime traffic and weather not working yet. We are all hoping that high end aircraft vendors will make this sim satisfying but that is yet to be seen. Hey it’s worth $1 to play around with it but whatever you do, don’t pay for the upgraded packages. IMO all you get are more great looking planes that don’t work very well. It seems if you like low and slow VFR GA flying, people are enjoying it but I’m a hard core IFR turboprop and jet guy and it’s been extremely frustrating for me. With some people praising it and others despising it, it’s almost like we are not flying the same sim. Very strange for sure. I’ve gone back to X-Plane for my flying and visit FS every few weeks waiting to see if anything has been fixed. I think Asobo just promised way too much without realizing what they were up against. Or maybe it was never meant for serious pilots. Maybe that will change if they see enough of a demand.

1 Like

That’s VERY true. Personally, I am using both right now… AND I came to P3D FROM MSFS2020, simply because I wanted to fly high-fidelity aircraft NOW and didn’t want to wait. So, essentially, I have the best of both worlds right now… I invested about… $2000 into scenery and aircraft, but I am pretty much done now. With the exception of PMDG 777 due ANY day now. After that, everything I buy will be for MSFS. That’s just the way it rolls.

2 Likes

I mean… have you flown P3D lately? Scenery doesn’t come close to MSFS. Aerodynamics - same deal UNLESS you invest into study-level aircraft or something like A2A AccuFeel which gives all of your aircraft a touch of that A2A realism with stalls, turbulence, noises, etc… There is only Active Sky, which is basically REX Weatherforce for P3D and NO live weather otherwise. There is NO real traffic. Most people have to invest into AI traffic packages to get traffic. As for IFR with turboprops? Well, the minute something like MilViz KingAir 350i comes to MSFS, your problem is solved. High-fidelity aircraft don’t just rely on core sim systems - they do A LOT of external code for experiences. In P3D, even things like rain drops on windshield are a mishmash of various external packages different developers use for aircraft - TrueGlass, PMDG Rainmaker, A2A’s windshield precipitation software, etc… So… Again, DEFAULT P3D is NOTHING compared to DEFAULT MSFS. Like I said, I fly P3D just as much as MSFS and I see it ALL the time. Also… their loading times aren’t any better than MSFS. So there is that.

1 Like

I mean, this is the best investment you can have. INVESTMENT.

Think about it, for every 2 months you get a scenery package equivalent to $20 bucks from your $60/120 initial investment, that’s like 100% - 200% return a year. If you know you will get it one day, what are you waiting for?

Please note, this is not a financial advice

MSFS is in baby stages atm.FBW is doing an amazing job with the A320N.That’s all there is for now until Aerosoft releases their CRJ.As of now this is the only sim I have installed on my rig.The immersion and less tinkering was enough to for me to move from X-PLANE with 100$ of addons and I am not going back. Bright days ahead and you have the storage capacity you can have best of both worlds. Stuck with this sim on a 1tb SSD :slight_smile:

If you have the storage available, it’s worth it on many levels. It will pale to P3D though in the IFR flight department.

3 Likes

Here’s the deal, just get it. Lol At some point, you’re DEFINITELY going to get it so you might as well get it now and check it out for yourself. Somethings you’ll really like, others maybe not so much. You mentioned summer or winter 2021, why wait? Might as well start getting value for your money NOW! I got it for $45 at Best Buy. When you see a deal, pick it up.

Wow lot of input ! Thanks everyone . So Some1 mentioned here “get the lesser package “ . There’s $60 standard , $72 deluxe & $96 Premium Deluxe . Is the only difference the extra addon default aircraft ? Am I getting the same default scenery in Deluxe vs Premium? I’d rather pay the less price if it’s just for default aircraft . Only fly payware and sounds like Crj is gonna be my 1st bird in MSFS 2020. I will keep p3v4 on my D: since I got Pmdg TFDI Aerosoft majestic all on there . It’s gonna be hard for me to eventually delete it . I need confirmation that TFDI md-11 is coming to MSFS 2020. Ever since I left Fsx (2017) I’ve been without my payware md-11 (pmdg). TFDI announced its coming to p3D. As far as the weather in fs2020, I’ve been reading that the METAR is tremendously off as compared to activesky in P3D. That’s a huge downplay for me . Either way I’m looking at possibly investing into
MSFS 2020 this week . Deluxe , Premium or standard is the question .

If you’re pretty sure you’re going to buy it anyway then why wait. It’s already fantastically enjoyable and if you are already aware that there are bugs and the sim is not super polished (I could say the same about every other…) then you’re missing out.

If you want perfect or your PC is relatively low spec, and you’re already happy with P3D and could really use the $$$ elsewhere then perhaps do wait.

This sim is slightly too gamified for me and I am demanding of my sims, but I still use FS2020 way more than P3D (for which I have most of the bells, whistles FSL A320, Aerosoft A320, PMDG 777, PMDG 737 etc all installed).

No other sim has made my jaw drop (positively) like FS2020.

1 Like

No, you get airports with the premium editions too…
Here is the difference with ActiveSky and MSFS weather - ActiveSky can change weather for you almost instantly. It refreshes weather periodically. MSFS does not refresh weather in “instants” - it just keeps changing dynamically with no magic redraws. It also doesn’t JUST use METAR - it uses a combination of sources to create weather. Most of the time it’s fairly accurate, but it MAY be say… an hour behind. But if there are major weather events, such as hurricanes, you WILL see them on MSFS. That’s the advantage of it versus ActiveSky - it’s fully dynamic and worldwide. So if you are flying a long distance, you will be flying through whatever the conditions are without any sudden changes in weather from one to another - but you will say… gradually fly into a storm.

Also, if you are dead set on METARs, you can get REX WeatherForce for MSFS now and it basically works like ActiveSky - it injects weather at periodic intervals and it WILL be accurate, BUT it’s STRICTLY METAR-based. No other sources.

I’d wait until it’s done. It’s the only way to be sure that it’s any good. :wink:

If you’re a flight simmer, you’re eventually going to buy MSFS anyway, whether now or down the road. And your not likely to see the price drop for quite some time.

I’d say go for it. If it doesn’t tickle your fancy now, try again in a couple of months.

1 Like

Actually, I have msfs on a separate f drive since beta, and it works beautifully. So put it in that evo drive…you’ll be glad for the room as the updates roll, since some are huge.the windows drive on mine is too small, hence the the bigger drive is better and faster. Up to you.

Same here. I mentioned in an earlier post, my xplane/ p3d for ifr, fs2020 vfr. I’m glad we’re on the same page.