Sick and tired of banking

To be honest, flight simming without at least a joystick seems to me like word processing with a game pad. The stick ís the basic most controller of a plane so without it I have difficulty calling it flight simming. I’ve tried keyboard once but it feels so unnatural and there’s no way to reach the precision that’s needed to cope with the forces from all the three dimensions and the external factors at that.
So without wanting to sound arrogant I would state that when the OP is ‘uncomfortable’ with a joystick, maybe this is not the game for him (or her?).
So I really would advise the OP to give it a try. You won’t look back, I guarantee!
All the best, no offense!

3 Likes

No, you have interpreted this. The word “joystick” is not even in the original post. “I fly with keyboard and mouse” does not equal “I cannot, or refuse, to use a joystick”.

Users are just giving their advice that a joystick or yoke would be a more optimal way of flying a plane. The only time I have seen folks flying some kind of vessel with a keyboard was Star Trek.

It’s not impossible, and I’ve managed some pretty good landings with keyboard only, but that doesn’t mean I’m about to give up my yoke, and rudder pedals.

3 Likes

Actually there can be multiple reasons besides crosswind that could cause an aircraft to bank - unequal fuel load in the wings being maybe the most common.

General - As to what OP is doing flying from a keyboard, check his video. It’s a nice tour of sights around his country. Just as some have taken up creating some really amazing screenshots (wall.flightsim.to), others are making videos of all sorts of things. FS2020 has tremendous tourist value even totally forgetting it’s a flight sim.

Only thing I would say is a joystick would likely make what he’s doing easier but that’s just my personal preference. If he uses a laptop and does this to fill time while traveling, a joystick might be inconvenient.

Who are we to say what are appropriate controls? All depends on many factors and it’s all just OP’s preference. But the comments about how the airplane is supposed to react to control inputs are correct too. The software is meant to be a flight simulator so will behave like one.

ORBX has a “vehicle” they call BOB for P3D and FSX. It sounds like it’s exactly what OP wants but no idea when or if for FS2020. With the helicopters and ability to code in other aircraft, it might not be long before there is something available.

The change to the rudder IMO is much better. Previously you were not able to hold any rudder in at all. As soon as you let go of the key it would centre again. No chance to do crosswind landings etc. so that’s probably why they changed it.
Now, unless you press the numpad 5 key, the rudder will stay where you set it.

I suspect the OP was used to it automatically centring, however no version of FS has ever done that. So remember, if you put rudder in with the keyboard, it will stay there unless you remove it with some rudder button presses the other way, or you centre both rudder and ailerons with numpad 5.

1 Like

Hi
Thanks for your comment.
It actually do happen when I try to do a second flight. Let’s say I take off in A and land in B. If I go to the gates etc etc and then taxi to the runway set the flaps ( I have the rudder fixed, automatic, so don’t have to deal with it) and then I take off the plane banks to the side it choses. My sim is set that for pressing #5 to get ailerons straight and up. If the plane banks and I do the other side to compensate it gets straight but I have to be doing that constantly due to the engine oscilation of course by if you press #5 it gets you straight. In this case when the plane banks (on the second take off) and I put it straight “manualy” if I press 5 it makes it banks inmediatly towrads the banking it had when taking off when it should supposed to keep straight. That is what I find weird to happen. Is like if the command of pressing 5 gets another “instruction” or gets overwriten.
Thank you

Ok thanks for the imput

Banks can be a real pain. That’s why I’m strictly a credit union man myself. Sorry, but the topic title is a glaring straight line…

I have never used a joystick because I have always managed to fly easily with a keyboard. I don’t find it complecated at all. As I have never used a joystick I don’t have the “need” for it. Maybe it would happen to me like with PMDG, never flew them before but then I could not fly anyother thing until I give on them when changed to MSFS.
Thanks for indicating: “can be controlled much better with a joystick than with a keyboard”
I think I’ll find out
Thanks

1 Like

I think that is a valid question
Is this what you mean?

I rather disable all as I’m not into “palying being a pilot”. I just like to fly the planes the easiest way possible.
Thank you for your concern

I’ll see if I can do a short video for you to see the behavior. Take off, land, taxi to gates and then take off again. So you can maybe identify something I’m missing doing.
Thanks

Thank you so much
Yes, that is the issue
Something happens on the second take of that seems to leave the plane “no where to go” or like if the rudder is stuck.
There should be like a reset to the position, like the cameras.
I know that by pressing zero the rudder gets impacted but then if you click of the 5 instead of going straight it banks, so weird
Anyway here my settings

I do that with the left and right arrows if the wind is strong, by pressing 5 if it is light

Ok
I turn with the arrows left or right but I do notice that despite turning (wheel to the maximun turn) the plane yet goes a bit forward, it does a large turn instead of turning like pmdg. Not sure if related issue
Thank you

You got it all clear
Thanks for confirming my issue
I appreciate it.
I have no problems at all with the keyboard that is why I have never felt the need for a jostick but it is ok to read about it afventages.
I have a friend who has one, maybe I’ll borrow it to test the difference and if pleased I might get one
Thanks for your comment.

I always do my best to be completely center and aligned but how could this affect is not perfect.? I believe the plane should be able to make it
I ensure I have pressed all keys to put in in the right configuration this is why it seems odd to me.
By providing this info I noticed like the keys for the rudder seemed to be different to what I have set…maybe is that. I’ll test
Thanks

I gotcha. I fly with a stick, but after takeoff I switch to autopilot at the correct altitude. So basically I use my mouse for buttons used in cockpit. But sometimes looking outside the airplane to look at the scenery and that usually gets me when I’m not really paying attention to the buttons on keyboard number pad. Another flyer on here mentioned that there is a camera view. But I mistakenly hit the button, thinking it’s number 1 or 3 that will bank the plane to the right. The plane as you mentioned is like the rudder is stuck. I even get back in the cockpit and switch off autopilot to regain control of the plane. Switch autopilot back on and starts heading back right again. I only fly mainly B78X Asobo one not the mod.

Even if you have clear skies and clam winds?

The ‘default’ calm wind is still blowing at 2kts and since the crosswind effect on ground is exaggerated, it will make your aircraft weathervane into the wind.

Concerning aircraft type and a joystick, it’s the other way round.
You don’t need it for airliners since you only need to press the elevator up key on takeoff and engage the AP at ~200ft.

1 Like

Hi all you guys
My intention was not to cause an argue or so
Just wanted to know if someone else suffered the same issue I had.
I was tired of the plane banking. I stared explainig how I fly because most people want to have a sort of background about the issue, I also shared my settings
It’s just that I found very strange that this happen on a second take off

I’m not closed to use a joystick, the thing is that as I have never used it and everything has worked fine for me with the keybord so never had the need for it and thought it was just a matter of preference.

I have taken note of this recommendation, thank you all

I’ll see if there is a hidden issue in my configuration meanwhile that causes this because the game comes with both features, to be used with either keybord or jostick so in theory both should properly work.
If I find the solution I will share it just as for “general culture”

Cheers
Carlos

1 Like

That’s like you are riding a bicycle without using the pedals.
You are using your feet to push yourself off the ground, because you’ve never ‘upgraded’ from your scooter.
You don’t know what you are missing.

Although a gamepad isn’t perfect, it’s way better than a keyboard and it doesn’t require a lot of space when not in use.

The main problem with prop driven aircraft is that you always have to adjust the rudder during every phase of flight.
Without a joystick finding out how much off-center you need is really difficult.

1 Like