Significant performance improvement with Windows 10 21H1 Beta, latest Nvidia driver and Reverb G2

I thought I’d post about this here as I haven’t seen a prominent thread discussing it here yet.

A combination of the latest Windows Insider Beta 21H1 and the latest Nvidia drivers delivers unparralelled smoothness in VR with the G2 and presumably other WMR headsets. The Windows update contains updates for WMR and presumably the software that drives the headsets, I think it contains a firmware update for the G2. This, moreso than the latest Nvidia driver, is what’s delivering the massive performance boost. I can confirm it basically eliminates stuttering for me and I can see lots of others in VR FB groups reporting the same results. This is on the “default” configuration with HAGS on and the Nvidia control panel at completely default settings. Even in a glass cockpit jet in the middle of London the framerate remains consistent and stutters are minimal. Even taxiing is a smooth experience now. To be clear, if you’re struggling with 15 FPS already this won’t give you a massive FPS boost but it will make the frame times much more consistent and reduce the perceived stuttering and increase fluidity at whatever framerate you’re at. You may notice you get a few extra frames but that’s not the goal here. For what it’s worth, I’m on a 5800x and 3080 and I am running with motion reprojectjon off.

I’d highly recommend that you try it out and would be interested to hear @CptLucky8 's take on what’s happened here, I have a very limited understanding of what has happened to improve performance so much but it is an eye opener that is not always right to blame Asobo or the dev team for issues when the entire eco-system of devices and software involved in running the sim in VR is beyond their scope.

To get the beta, you need to opt into the Windows Insider programme. You can do this on their site or through the dedicated Insider settings panel in Windows that can by found by typing “insider” on the start menh. One issue that I ran into while trying to update was that Windows update threw up an error 0x800707e7 and the update wouldn’t complete. There were lots of suggestions online as to how this might be fixed but nothing worked. In the end, an in-place upgrade with a 21H1 ISO downloaded from the Insider site solved this for me. You simply run the setup.exe in the ISO and let it do it’s thing making sure you do not set it up to do a wipe and a clean install. This isn’t a “fresh” OS install, it replaces the OS but leaves your account, files, apps, settings all intact, takes about ten minutes. More info on this can be found here…

Comment and let people know if you try this and see improvements. Would be interested to see if this provides a performance boost for people with AMD cards as well. If anyone is iffy about installing the Windows beta or wants any help, leave a comment, I’m happy to help.

1 Like

Interesting, I just updated to 21H1 today so look forward to giving it a go. I noticed it came with an update to the WMR app, had already installed the firmware update manually but that is just an audio fix so shouldn’t have any bearing on performance.

It will be a happy day when Windows itself, WMR, Nvidia, and AMD have sorted their collective “beep” out and I can run with AGESA 1.2.0.2 based bios on Nvidia drivers that don’t cripple VR performance and with a WMR app that has actually seen some sort of signs of development… I’m looking forward to the shared buffer with steam they are working on though that shouldn’t affect MSFS particularly given it’s OpenXR.

I would just love to see MS pour as much resources into WMR as Facebook do into Oculus.

The firmware is here without the need to 21H1 so it seems:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-reverb-g2-virtual-reality-headset/33835976

1 Like

This is interesting indeed. I may install “clean” on a spare SSD, and go through the process of a “clean” MSFS download on that SSD with nothing else installed but the OS and MSFS.

At this point I’ve not run Flight Sim in days; would like to find a solution that gets me “flying” again.

Interesting, would be great if someone could test whether this alone provides the performance improvement or whether it’s more tied into the Windows side of things.

For me the solution has been XP11 for a while now. I can run SteamVR SS 150 (instead of 124 with FS2020) and I came to the realization FS2020 visuals might be nicely illuminated, but they are not as crisp in VR than XP11.

4 Likes

I’ve never liked XP; tried the different iterations over the years but no joy.

I’m firing up an old build today (Windows XP MCE) that has FS2004 and MS Combat Simulator installed. Even pulling out my old Saitek AB8R joystick/throttle combo.

:slight_smile:

This firmware update was purely a bug fix for audio blacking out the headset at high volumes. That was the only item mentioned in the release notes… highly unlikely it has any bearing on performance.

1 Like

Please help me figure out what I’m doing wrong. My Reverb G2 is working in both WMR and MSFS.

I enter WMR, put on the headset and look around. Mouse control is still on the desktop.

I launch the update program. The status changes several times but the update never completes.

Do you have any ideas and thank you so much for any help.

Seems like it. Must be more to do with the Windows update, then.

This is why it is great there are many different simulators we can fly with, same with cars, same with TVs, same with < add your favorite here > :slight_smile:

@Dueller6 I have no idea but you might want to contact HP support for this?!? From the look of it, the version number displaying in your screenshot doesn’t seem to match the FW version?!

Exactly!

Just for grins I took the C172 up for a little test flight. It follows the course set by AP just fine, and seems pretty much okay. Frames have dropped, but not so much that is matters. Hovering just below 60 fps @ 70-75% GPU utilization.

I may hold off on spending the time required to do a clean installation of everything… it takes a chunk of time and it’s a nice sunny day here on the California Central Coast. Better ways to spend my time today!

:slight_smile:

Does that only affect VR or has someone tried whether it also improves playing on the monitor?

Great question. I’d like to know that myself. Not having that answer is one of the reasons I put off the reinstallation process.

1 Like

Just to be clear, there’s no reinstallation process required. Just an update to beta 21H1 through the normal Windows update process. If that fails as it has for some people (seems to be a bug that Microsoft will likely have resolved when the update comes out of beta) then an upgrade-in-place from a 21H1 ISO accomplishes the same task. You either do it via update or from the ISO. Either way, your PC will restart and when it comes back on, everything will be exactly as it was but with the 21H1 update applied.

I’m confused. Is the Windows 10 21H1 Beta update simply a vehicle to deliver the HP Reverb G2 usb audio update or are they seperate and distinct improvements?

No, the windows 21H1 beta is an insider preview of the 2021 H1 windows update that will be coming out later this year. Among a lot of other things it includes a new update to the WMR app and, apparently, also updates the G2 firmware with this audio fix firmware version assuming you haven’t already done it.

Got it.

However, in my case, I would be uninstalling my current SSD to preserve the status quo.

I would then install another Win10 OS with a second key, and MSFS from the ground up. So, other than the SSD itself, the hardware will be identical. In that way I will have a “rollback” option that is 100% guaranteed to perform in exactly the same way as before I tried the update.

I just successfully installed this update. The .exe file needed is in the C:\SWSetup\sp112954 folder. The folder (sp112954) contains two files, a .pdf and and the .exe.

Does this location match your location when your install failed?

@Zeeflyboy thanks for the clarification. I had just installed the HP Reverb audio update when I read this thread. So I will now proceed to try the Windows update…