Silliest mistake you’ve made while flying in MSFS?

Not in MSFS, but back in FSX I was flying the A300 on a flight from somewhere up in the Nordic countries down to Nice (LFMN). Mid flight I got called away to do something, and when I got back I could see I was about 100NM out from the AZR VOR. I got underway with my descent, flew overhead and executed a perfect VOR/DME arc onto the approach. Broke out of the overcast layer at about 2000ft expecting to see the ocean and distant shoreline of Nice, but instead found myself over moderate undulating farmland, with no airport in sight!

I had a good 30 seconds of cognitive dissonance trying to work out why what I was seeing was so completely different to what I expected. Eventually I terminated the flight.

What it turned out I had done was have AZR VOR on one receiver and the penultimate VOR from my flight plan on the other. I transposed the distance and navigation info from one onto the other, formed a mental picture of where I was, and then studiously ignored the various cues that were to the contrary. For one thing, my ToD was at least 20 minutes earlier than I was expecting. That didn’t seem to ring any bells.

It was funny but it did highlight to me that I was very dependent on the magenta line found in more modern aircraft I had in the sim. I resolved to spend more time flying on analog gauge aircraft, and my IFR flying improved quite a bit as a result.

Also, last week I landed the TBM gear up. Too much flying the kodiak had got me lazy with checking gear!

My last one this last weekend, although I may say it wasn’t my fault. I was decelerating in my approach to Leipzig (EDDP) with the AN225 when suddenly my 3 year old son started crying (for no reason at all, really) so I immediately went to see what happened and to comfort him. After a few hugs everything was ok so I returned to my pilot place… to discover I was a few hundred feet from ground and with a really ugly attitude.

Unfortunately my last command to the autopilot had been to reduce speed until 300kph but there was nobody there to extend the flaps at the corresponding points. 230 tones of valuable brown boxes were lost in the accident :frowning:

Aha, now I have an idea how MA317 might have gone missing.

Full international England to Italy. The flight was in the FBW A320, all checklists followed, the flight was smooth as. That was until I realised I had burnt through a third more fuel than I should have. Managed a slow decent to reduce fuel consumption in the main engines while i searched for the culprit. I had left the APU running. Turned that off. Normal fuel was going to mean I ran out, and likely ditch early. So I continued the slow early decent. Landed the plane safely and ran out of fuel straight after touch down.

Wow, is it normal for the APU to use that much fuel? I’ll have to try this on a PMDG 737.

Anyways, glad you made it safely to the runway!

CFIT? Controlled flight into terrain?

1 Like

Oh gosh. Messing up Neofly flights is one way to induce rage lol. One silly error can ruin a career (I guess much like irl).

On a JF Hawk doing IFR landings, viewpoint strictly on instruments for training purposes and on touchdown was greeted with violent sounds coupled with black screen. I was so “focused” (read: overwhelmed) that I had forgot to lower the landing gear.

1 Like

It’s a good thing I’m not a real pilot, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve become task saturated and forgotten something important…. Oh wait thats what checklists are for! LOL

And then there’s those situations when you get so task saturated that you forget something important, like your checklist! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I put a lawyer on “hold”.

Cheers
PACO572

2 Likes

“because they already left seeking early retirement with KLM”

Cheers
PACO572

Took off with my pitot heat covers still on in the Milviz C310r. Noticed it immediately on takeoff and called tower to request landing. They told me to fly left base 16R (KVNY) and I quickly realized that the field had become IFR conditions reallll fast. I’m using live weather and Van Nuys is my home airport irl so I got up to altitude and flew the ILS 16R and landed it, but it was an interesting one. Got down there and took the pitot covers off and flew to Big Bear as planned ha. Love how immersive the 310 is. A lot you have to take accountability of with the state saving.

3 Likes

I’ve done a few belly landings after forgetting the landing gear. The passengers all walk away and the plane isn’t in too bad a shape. haha

One time in the C414 I was attempting to land at a really short runway so I purposely kept the landing gear up and belly slid to stay on the runway, worked well! :slight_smile:

Here’s another one:
I just got the Boeing Thrustmater Yoke/Throttle Quad combo, and I’m still fine tuning the mappings. Today I created a separate profile for single-engine props with mixture and prop pitch. I mapped the three levers on Quad accordingly, and took a Beech Bonanza on a flight. All’s well.

Started a new flight, in the PMDG 737. Did full cold and dark, went to runway, throttled up, and as it sped up the plane made a hard right onto the grass. Took me a moment to realize that Engine 2 was still idling, and duh, of course I forgot to switch my Quad’s profile back to “Jets”. Ooops. Oh well, was able to taxi back, switch profile, and I still had enough runway to take off. Passengers were a bit spooked, though.

Trying to loose altitude crabbing the CJ4 @6000 ft.
It went into an unrecoverable spin and it felt very realistic.
Opposite rudder and forward yoke didn’t help me this time.
Normally, it’s very easy in MSFS to recover from a spin.

Was it a spin similar to this?

2 Likes

OMG, this looks so terrifying.
Yes, sort of.
I tried to compensate too much right rudder with left yoke. Really snapped into a spin.
IRL, I’m a sissy in the traffic pattern. Watching airspeed :face_with_monocle: and very shallow banking.

Try using a technique similar to this video for quick recovery. It’s helped me pull out of that sort of spin several times in the sim.

1 Like

Flying Concorde at Mach 2.0 with the nose visor still down with alarms going off and trying to figure out what was wrong

3 Likes