Sim Freezes when Loading into Airports/Airfields SU5 and WU6

Hello. This isn’t a CTD as such, yet its equally as frustrating.
Support Request Number: 114773

All these issues have started happening after the Update 5 (Game Version 1.18.14.0)
Latest Windows 10 64Bit Professional 20H2 Build 19042.630
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
i5 6600K
32GB RAM
Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog
Logitech Autopilot Panel
Nothing installed in Community Folder. No add-ons just a fresh copy of MSFS2020. No World Updates either. No drivers for any of my hardware are installed.

I can load into the Sim fine. I can fly the training flights, and the Discovery Flights I can fly no problem at all.

Its as soon as I try and load a flight from the world map my problems arise. To start with it happened at certain airports, now it seems to be getting progressively worse. I will go to lets say White Waltham, Booker, Heathrow, Gatwick and more all over the globe. I chose a parking spot, or runway to take off from (no real world weather, no traffic, everything turned off) Choose a plane (it has happened with numerous planes, so its not plane specific) and I hit Fly Now - the sim will load to around 50% and just freeze. The music is still playing in the background. I have waited 30 minutes to see if it will load into a flight with no success. The only way to get back to desktop is to Ctrl - Alt - Delete to task manager and kill the sim. I have tried everything in Overkills video to troubleshoot, including uninstalling the sim, reformatting the hard drive, deleting all the left over folders, and it is still doing the same thing

Is there a folder I have missed when uninstalling that might be causing the problem? Is anyone else having this issue (Screenshots attached) As selfish as it may sound I’m hoping there are so it’s not just me.

I can’t use any of the premium airports after SU5. If I select a premium airport (KSFO, etc…) and set it as departure from World Map, when I click Fly Now it freezes when loading the flight. I tried with KSFO, Dubai, KDEN, Heathrow, all don’t work.

I also tried with deluxe airports (Schipol) and that works fine. And standard edition airports work fine also.

I updated the premium version in content manager post SU5. I then uninstalled and re-installed the premium version in content manager to see if that would fix it. I do think the premium version is installed fine, as the 787 does work.

I have nothing in my community folder all mods have been removed.

I really don’t want to reinstall the entire game again, that would be a horrible upgrade experience. Anyone else see this and any suggestions on how to possibly fix?

I know this sounds strange, but try selecting the airport by typing it in the search box. Don’t select it from any lists below.

Do this after a fresh boot. Let me know the outcome.

@JetClaw15225580 no luck trying what you said.

I can start a flight at Frankfurt however, so its not all the premium version airports. But definitely all of the other ones I’m unable to start a flight at after SU5.

The improved perf after update is quite good, but what a pain if I’m going to have to reinstall from scratch.

Ok. Then the next thing I would probably try is deleting the rolling cache file and letting the simulator recreate it.

did that right after I installed SU5 so not sure that is the issue but will try that again.

ok managed to get this working somehow. Not sure what I exactly did but I think it fixed itself after I flew to one of the problem airports from another location. And now I can start flights at those airports without the app freezing. So strange, definitely not a good update experience.

2 Likes

spoke too soon, next time I restarted the sim same issue, game freezes during loading flight when trying to spawn at SFO, Dubai, KDEN, Heathrow. I saw another post where someone else was having this behavior also. I really hope this update gets patched soon otherwise the sim is unplayable for me.

2 Likes

I have the exact same issue. The workaround described above with loading near that location which temporarily fixed the issue also worked for, but next time I started MSFS same as before. Mainly noticed this when trying to start a flight from Dubai Skydive.

1 Like

Yep, defiantly a bug. Probably have to live with it until the next update based on previous experience…LOL! Bigger fish to fry, I guess…

Even with the hotfix my game is freezing when trying to load into the flight (empty Community folder etc) near London. BUT I just removed the OrbX London add-on and was able to load, finally. Will report back if it starts failing again.

1 Like

I have a similar problem like you but with the Sam Scene 3D Hong Kong scenery. I purchased it from the MSFS marketplace. When I load a flight at Hong Kong international airport, it freezes on the loading screen. When I delete the Sam Scene 3D Hong Kong scenery, I can then load up properly at the Hong Kong International airport.

When it freezes for you, does the music keep playing in the background? It does for me, which, of all the CTD’s I’ve had since August 2020, never happened before now (that I rememeber)

I have the music turned off.

Are you folks still experiencing this issue? Remains a problem for me no matter what I try. Is it just us or is it more widespread?

2 Likes

Still an issue post the hotfix

Hello. This isn’t a CTD as such, yet its equally as frustrating.
Support Request Number: 114773

All these issues have started happening after the Update 5 (Game Version 1.18.14.0)
Latest Windows 10 64Bit Professional 20H2 Build 19042.630
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
i5 6600K
32GB RAM
Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog
Logitech Autopilot Panel
Nothing installed in Community Folder. No add-ons just a fresh copy of MSFS2020. No World Updates either. No drivers for any of my hardware are installed.

I can load into the Sim fine. I can fly the training flights, and the Discovery Flights I can fly no problem at all.

Its as soon as I try and load a flight from the world map my problems arise. To start with it happened at certain airports, now it seems to be getting progressively worse. I will go to lets say White Waltham, Booker, Heathrow, Gatwick and more all over the globe. I chose a parking spot, or runway to take off from (no real world weather, no traffic, everything turned off) Choose a plane (it has happened with numerous planes, so its not plane specific) and I hit Fly Now - the sim will load to around 50% and just freeze. The music is still playing in the background. I have waited 30 minutes to see if it will load into a flight with no success. The only way to get back to desktop is to Ctrl - Alt - Delete to task manager and kill the sim. I have tried everything in Overkills video to troubleshoot, including uninstalling the sim, reformatting the hard drive, deleting all the left over folders, and it is still doing the same thing

Is there a folder I have missed when uninstalling that might be causing the problem? Is anyone else having this issue (Screenshots attached) As selfish as it may sound I’m hoping there are so it’s not just me.

1 Like

I got no potential fixes for you. But I feel your pain!!

SU5 is buggy and unstable to astounding degree. I’ve had times where it seemed to be working great, much better fps than before, then I’ll have other times where I’ll get tons of CTDs, frozen sim, controllers going haywire, etc.

I think Asobo needs to do a three if not six month feature/world freeze and just make this software work. It’s just ludicrous at this point. Every update is some fixes and a lot of new problems.

And the chaos of broken, troublesome add ons after each update is getting infuriating. Get the add on API settled so it works consistently! Provide tools to the end user to see what add ons are causing problems or are using inordinate amount of CPU/GPU and hurting fps. And it sure would be amazing if they added the ability to load new add ons and completely unload add ons without having to restart the sim entirely, this would make debugging which add ons are problems much, much easier/faster. Detect improper add ons when they are loaded and report the issues to the user so they can choose to try to live with the issues, or remove the add on from the community folder. Add on are one of the greatest strengths and yet also one of the biggest problems in MSFS.

9 Likes

Yes, I had thé same problem as you described. Furthermore I noticed that the moment the progressbar freezes,there is no internet activity, probably due to a non responsive executable. Emptied community folder, with no luck.Started looking in Windows event viewer and Found a hint pointng to fsuipc. V 7.2 was installed. I uninstalled this version and installed thé latest V 7.2.4. No more freezes. Maybe that is a solution for you, if you also have fsuipc installed

1 Like

No Fsuipc installed. But most of my issues are CTD, not freezing.