Sim now seems incapable of rendering overcast consistently or accurately using live weather

Well they said they will have gusts from Meteoblue where gusts not are reported on METAR in su10. That tells me Meteoblue is still in use. But there is different data they can use in the sim. Maybe the cloudlayers are not in use from Meteoblue anymore or a different kind of data than they used before. I know they mentioned more frequent updates from Meteoblue but that also means more frequent transitions in weather and that we can see since su7 right? Those more frequent data is 100 times worse than we had before in my opinion. If something is worse why not just revert to the old data? Same with those fog layers around airports they introduced in su7. Are they happy with those and no more improvements of those? So many questions and so few answeres. And so many things worse after su7 that i thought should be the first real update of weather since release.

Wish they really focus on weather soon. To me that is the most important aspect. I’m happy they listened and gusts will be back. Hope the complete weather system will be back soon too.

2 Likes

Meteoblue is presumably still used when you’re in areas with no METAR. Where else would the weather data be coming from? It’s also used for snow coverage.

I don’t know, maybe there are other companies than Meteoblue that provide same type of information and for a cost reason or any other reason they could have switched to another provider. For many issues we are making suppositions since we don’t have a direct channel to cummunicate with Asobo. Just the Q&A sessions and you need to have your question with a max number of votes in order to be addressed.

As someone else pointed out, they said last Q&A that meteoblue is going to be used for wind gusts, so it is being used.

1 Like

Ok, did not know that, thanks for the information. So it is a good indicator they are still using Meteoblue.

Would be nice with an explanation how weather really works. Feels more like a secret. We all should be able to plan for the weather occuring in the sim.

4 Likes

I’ve also noticed the lack of cloud rendering. Here is a screenshot of an arrival into PHNL where PHNL is reporting two FEW cloud layers and a SCT cloud layer and an airport and PHJR, just west of PHNL, is reporting an overcast cloud layer. Yes, live time and weather are ON. Pressure and winds are relatively accurate compared to local METARS, but the clouds are not. No add-ons; default Airbus.

Just wondering if anyone here is in the SU10 beta and has seen any improvements in overcast representation? I’m not part of it myself but am curious. Thanks.

Yes it’s a lot better, the whole weather system

1 Like

Agree as well. Not quite perfect, but definitely much better.

1 Like

Thanks guys and thank goodness for that. Have the ugly volcanic ash clouds gone as well or would that be wishing too much!?

They are not gone yet, but there are less for sure.

However . . . .

Abrupt weather/cloud/visibility changes are still there, and that probably annoys me more than anything at the moment.

1 Like

Grrrr completely clear europe for me ( winds etc correct )

Very clouded at EHAM as we speak 
 no cloud in sim

1 Like

I believe this overcast problem may be related to what is being discussed here in this thread: Weather like pre su7 before 8 AM UK time, photos and videos provided! - #82 by Perrry

7 Likes

SU10 and still the sim is unable to render overcast using live weather. Here is KORD just now. Why does Asobo still feel this is acceptable? I just don’t get it. And why aren’t more people complaining? Anyone can see this isn’t overcast!!!

9 Likes

I dont want to say that this doesnt happen. But your pic is showing overcast, with a hole in the sky at your position. Seems there is overcaset everywhere around you. At least from what one can see on the pic.

No sunlight on the ground too, its all in shadow. So it seems that this is mostly overcast.

Well my understanding of overcast is that overcast means a cloud cover of eight eighths. So with overcast is no blue sky or “holes”. Pre SU7 the sim was capable of producing sky that was overcast from horizon to horizon with no blue sky showing, using live weather. Just like the overcast preset. It looked incredible. Now I never see a totally overcast sky using live weather.

9 Likes

These loading screens are located under fs-base\missions\Common\LOADING\FreeFlight

The filenames and date taken will give you a clue as to why they look so different.

Date taken

5 Likes

Last year i posted some of those photos, just to compare with su7
i was asked to take the down because they were part of a pre release version! So they censured their own product, such is the degradation in the luve weather
 and of course 0 acknowledgement from the developers who are acting on the live Q&A as if nothing happened

2 Likes

I would say they were custom weather anyway, as opposed to live weather, but I get your point.