Sim now seems incapable of rendering overcast consistently or accurately using live weather

I agree - I’m still not seeing overcast, just lots of cumulous & cu.nim. - have tried all sorts of places where overcast has been forecast: in-sim METAR; in-sim world map weather; Meteoblue; Windy. No overcast. Would be great to hear from Asobo if they recognise this as an ongoing issue or not …

2 Likes

Has anyone also flown through a properly thick layer of cloud? I haven’t since the update. I remember taking off in bad weather and climbing to like 20000ft before I got out of cloud, just solid cloud all the way. Never happens now.

3 Likes

it only takes a few minutes for the developers to finish all this chattering, just explain to us ina few words, there is issues and we are working on it server side…or, you will have to wait until su8! nothing so far!!

4 Likes

I started a new topic yesterday not seeing this thread until now - I think my issue fits in better “here” and will post below. Hopefully they can merge/delete my other new topic.

I found overcast yesterday near Chicago/Midwest. Not hard to find this time of year! But check this out:

When flying above an overcast layer, you can see through to the ground and see ground lights at night. Pausing the sim at exact location and changing to daytime reveals what is supposed to be a “solid” cloud deck.

Hopefully just a bug? I sure hope this is not the quality of clouds we’ll be getting from now on?

NIGHT OVER THE OVERCAST:

PAUSED AND CHANGED TO DAYTIME THIS IS THE CLOUD LAYER BELOW:

And overcast over top isn’t always “lumpy”, sometimes we could see a nice smooth overcast from above. Need more variety!

(MODS here is the old topic I would like to have merged with this one, there were just two votes but every vote counts LOL! https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/post-su7-can-see-ground-through-overcast-at-night-and-sometimes-during-day/488344)

I haven’t seen this since the update either - but it’s clear why anyway - because they are no longer cloud fronts, but assembled cumulus clouds instead - this also explains the slightly better performance since SU7 - less to display, less power required.
And when they are assembled - they usually always have the same height and shape !
You don’t see cloud bands in the distance but simply “pushed together” clouds of the same type - I don’t really know if this is a “bug” or rather the solution to make the transitions not too dramatic !

@errorhasoccured
I honestly don’t know anymore personally, there are already “so many” proven “bugs” introduced with SU7 - but I think I have reported these transparent clouds at night, next to the dark clouds in moonlight and dark “contrails” !
(but these were already there before) !

1 Like

yes we are all guessing now…we really lost any consistent idea. I think they will fix the issues otherwise I can’t understand why in the world they would ruin the game like this. This simulator was famous even about non gamers, and the one thing everyone was talking about was the weather! even my partner who’s a non gamer yesterday saw the towering clouds and aid “those clouds looks ridiculous”… Again i wish they would spend a few seconds to tell us what’s going on…then we could all move on, for better or worse!

1 Like

One example now, somewhere near Madeira…

Also very interesting because some users reported also no variants of top of OVC, here is also light flat OVC :slight_smile:

1 Like

Had a nice OVC now departing KDFW, it’s capable of doing it, just not consistently so which is the most frustrating part of it

1 Like

Ok but I was thinking “smooth” as in you know, smooth. Like below. More variety, less ASH.

Not bad! Wonder if you can see ground lights through that at night?

Yes,

I also want have more money as I have now. Look, don’t you mind that you simply want things that are maybe on another place existed and not at your just now position? Try do more tests on more different places. It’s same like another user’s post like: Asobo this is weather what we like and this what we don’t like… How can I understand this funny post? Pls be kind all to share screenshots here and not to need step to other hosted sites, why?

This kind of layer consistency I had also on October 2020 over Poland. Maybe I have somewhere that screenshot, flight near Wroclaw.

I shouldn’t need to change place to fly to get believable weather. I had believable weather everywhere before this su7 update.

Here it should be overcast as you can see on the METAR. It isn’t even that we now have METAR in place, Those clouds are removed on ground. Why?

Here is how it looks at arlanda now.

Here is how it looks like in the sim.

Here is the predicted coverage at Arlanda.

Here is the forecast of arlanda.

Nothing matches what i see in the sim.

1 Like

Looks like Sweden and UK are most places affected with no correct weather, correct? I did one test some time before (if you have taste try find that) at Arlanda, same reported OVC and broken clouds presented at that time to me. Reason? That OVC just passed 5 min ago to S??? and was very good visible, then I checked METAR and was half hour ago timed :slight_smile: Wind was very strong from N. Clouds were moved quickly and nicely that time…

But as you can see it has been overcast there all day.

Temporary Broken clouds… Look we do nothing and can debate and debate again and again to nothing. You want MeteoBlue as true here or METAR? You’re on airport…

I want the weather to be believable. As it is now it’s not.

2 Likes

Also answer :slight_smile:

I want to know how Asobo modeled METAR and MeteoBlue at same place, if this is as that I ask and presented. In my opinion at METAR station vicinity is METAR and on around is MeteoBlue probably. This is my guess… If they modeled all layers together then best! Somehow I see that this is true not separated weather classes…

Just two places? Let me add Japan, Italy, Taiwan and Alaska…

1 Like

Again, this talk goes to nothing, it;s like a bear summit :wink: