Sim time off by one hour

Brief description of the issue:

After selecting a time of day in the world map, the time of day loaded into the sim is approximately 1 hour too early, e.g. selecting 9AM loads the simulator set to 8AM. Inconsistent appearance, unknown trigger mechanism.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

(None available)

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

FLIGHT CONDITIONS:

*Multiplayer settings: All players

*Air traffic settings: AI

*Weather & Time settings: Preset (Clear Skies)

May also work with other settings, these were just the ones I was using at most recent occurrence.

My departure airport: Tegel (EDTT)

My arrival airport: Paderborn-Lippstadt (EDLP)

Routing: VFR Direct GPS (cruise alt 8,500 ft)

Aircraft: Various, bug occurs with both default and add-on.

Time set AT LEAST 3 times; before selecting departure point, after selecting departure point but before selecting arrival point, after selecting arrival point but before pressing FLY.

Not sure exactly how it works. Could have something to do with improper handling of UTC vs local time, or standard time vs Daylight saving time (the bug occurs in areas with and without it).

Any workaround would be appreciated.

Go to your Windows 10 time settings, and check that your local time zone setting is correct for your physical location. MSFS depends on that to calculate the correct UTC and local time in the sim Check also that daylight savings (summer) time is not accidentally enabled in your Windows time settings.

2 Likes

Could it be that you’re connected to a DNS in a different timezone over VPN?

I’ve fiddled a bit with the clock settings and although I’m not sure what I did, that seemed to eliminate the problem. For now, at least. I’ll still keep a close eye on it going forward

I’m not using a VPN, although I can’t rule out other parts of the network connection being wonky.

2 Likes

The internet connection method (direct or VPN) shouldn’t matter, other than possibly affecting bandwidth. MSFS does all its time calculations based on the internal clock of the Windows computer it runs on. I do know that when you do a fresh install of Windows 10 (at least in the US), the local time zone will be set to PST by default. I assume this is because Microsoft is based in Washington state in the US PST zone. You can set the local time correctly, but if the Windows time zone setting is wrong, MSFS will calculate UTC incorrectly.

3 Likes

The time zone seems to be wrong for some locations like SBBR.
And this isn’t a Windows issue: UTC time is right in MSFS, but converted time is wrong. It seems like it’s using UTC -02:00 instead UTC -03:00.

See image below: (replace _com with .com)

i.imgur_com/YSfxuNk.png

Because of this, live time of MSFS is one hour ahead for this location.

3 Likes

This issue also occurs when flying over Hokkaido, Japan. My Windows 10 time settings seem fine -

1 Like

Can you please confirm UTC time shown in MSFS is right, but converted time is wrong?

1 Like

It seems MSFS is considering that in Brazil there is Daylight saving time in some regions. If you fly on SBMO, for instance, its correct (UTC -3) since never had DST in NE. Microsoft needs to update the information to exclude Daylight Saving Time in Brazil.

3 Likes

My clock is off by one hour in the aircraft under live settings, my pc clock is correct, but the sim has it one hour off. Its like the sim is off for daylight savings time or something. It is showing 1 hour behind the actual time.

Anyone know how to fix this in settings?

are both clocks off one hour or just UTC ?

OK, so I am not being dumb. I noticed this since last weekend. I departed an airport which is currently (IRL) UTC+3, but in the sim is UTC+2. I can confirm there is one hour offset here as well

Daylight savings?

Hi @Vonzeigler!
See this topic here:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/wrong-time-day/338956

MSFS uses UTC time. So take your UTC time and either + or - your local time. You will either be into the next day or further back in it.

However, there are some time zones that are off by one hour in MSFS. From what I can tell, they are accounting for DST (local) when that specific area does not observe it. For those, report to zendesk.

I think the first time is your local time. Not the airports local time.

Negative I living in the UK

Departure from Japan rn

Hi @btdc00,
What does it show if you use “Live Weather” - I could be wrong, but I think that has be selected. :thinking:

Hey :slight_smile: Just checked, shows the same time in live weather as well, but I was switching between airports since the last half an hour and everything seems correct :relieved: (The response above just to show, the first is not my local time, that’s the actual airport’s)

1 Like

This is a simple yet annoying bug:

Apparently MSFS still believes that Brazil is using Daylight Saving time. However, this was abandoned in 2019.

Thus, the “live” time currently is one hour ahead of actual local time. UTC is correct. So, this should be an easy thing to fix, please!

1 Like