Sim Update 4

Oh the irony, almost powtic slight_smile:

I donā€™t think there is a fixed time, but itā€™s usually not before 15:00 - 16:00 UTC. That gives them a whole day of work to do the last preparations.

I really hope they release the fix for the Honeycomb Bravo throttle trim wheel.

2 Likes

Itā€™s actually a good question because after all, we like to talk in UTC!

1 Like

#1 Fix the CTDs (not caused by faulty hardware) for EVERYONE

Really, whats point of a better G1000, or real weather working, if the sim is going to crash at some random (or not so random) point is your flight.

Until l the FOUNDATION is secure, anything built on it is subject to failure (no matter how Pretty it looks and how much Eye candy it has)

5 Likes

Do you have changed your graphics cardā€˜s bios to the resizable BAR one in the meantime? I had to decrease the overclocking after done so.

Isnā€™t it simply easier? I would assume most people know what there local UTC offset is. On the other hand if someone gives me a time in some US or Chinese time zone I have no idea what time that is for me. Would have to check.

Thereā€™s a reason Maritime and Aviation is referenced to GMT. It makes sense to do stuff like this in GMT too. As the great James May said, there is only one time, and that is GMT. :laughing:

ps I highly highly doubt theyā€™re working on it today. It will have been submitted to Steam and the Microsoft Store probably at least 48hrs before release.

What is a shame though is that they release it when they do. It will be early evening across Europe when it becomes available and internet traffic is at itā€™s highest. That will cause all kinds of issues and slow downs. It would be far better for it to be available now when most of North America is tucked up in bed and EU internet traffic is low. They must have their reasons though.

1 Like

Far better for us in the EU, but what about the Americans? Itā€™s a round world, allegedly, and you canā€™t satisfy everyone.

That said, I agree. :wink:

1 Like

Remember, to meet the requirement that once ONE person has updated, everyone else needs to update to be on the same version, it really does not matter what time that 1st person updates, everyone else around the world will have to update, no matter time of day or night it is for them.

Better for our US brethren because when they get up everyone in the EU will have downloaded it and their servers wonā€™t be getting whacked.

I have no issue either with it being released in the US last night and the EU this morning. What makes it a total ball ache is when everyone is trying to download it at the same time. The bandwidth and server capacity they must need for that is mind-blowing. Itā€™s also why the game runs like a dog for a couple of days after each world update, because everyone is flying in the same area to check out the new stuff.

Staggering the releases makes sense. If they wanted to ā€˜make it fairā€™ they could change who gets it first with each release.

ps Iā€™m probably making a big assumption that the biggest market(s) for the game are the EU & the US, but looking at VatSim and the World Updates thus far itā€™s a fair assumption to make I think.

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m saying though. If one side of the pond downloads it whilst they other is in bed, when the 2nd lot wake up and do it thereā€™ll be significantly less pressure on the servers.

But the downloads will be coming from a geographically located source. Itā€™s not like the folks in the US are downloading from the servers that we download from in the EU. At least that is my understanding.

You can probably override that with a VPN. I have done that for a previous update, but I never checked the servers I was downloading from at the time, but I did see my rates improve from 1Mbit/s to over 200Mbit/s by doing so. Iā€™m in the UK, and I had my VPN terminate in Portugal.

And thats how it works, doesnā€™t it ?

I had always ASSUMED that it became available WORLDWIDE at the same moment in time.
(not at a set local time for everyone)

On East Coast USA, its seems in the past to be about early afternoon, so most coming home from work or school, can download later in the afternoon / Evening, (then stay up all night playing and seeing what they have )

UTC :slight_smile:
Itā€™s not the same as GMT.
GMT versus UTC.

Regarding you second point, itā€™s a SIM update. It shouldnā€™t be massive + they use a CDN so bandwidth shouldnā€™t be an issue. Iā€™m sure youtube or even Windows update uses 1000x more traffic constantly than a niche game like MSFS during updates.

1 Like

What i expect from it? Less of the current bugs, more new bugs, slightly better performance for users with hardware no one can buy, slightly worse for the rest of us.

1 Like

I hope some VR performance improvementsā€¦

1 Like

That may be so, but they are the same thing to all intents and purposes. GMT, UTC & Z time(s) are the same.

Ordinarily I would agree with you, but all the evidence suggests otherwise. Really poor download speeds for people with very fast connections and then poor game performance in the days flowing an update point to server capacity at their end. I may be wrong of course, but thatā€™s definitely what it looks like.

1 Like

London was awful for at least a week after the UK update. There were just so many people flying there. I was down to single digit frame rates on approach to EGLL, where I was normally getting around 40.

2 Likes

Very simply because, CTDs seem to be affecting only some users, and there is no easy way to tell if itā€™s indeed a bug, or their fault, their hardware, or their usage practices that cause them.

Asobo has already confirmed they are looking at reported CTDs but they wonā€™t give up progress to chase a ghost.

1 Like