Sim Update 5 performance before and after

Probably due to VSync. Best to use nvidia cp to just limit the FPS to 30

oh I have to try that now :crazy_face: exciting

overall it seems like the layout & map has improved,the visuals.A shame of the bugs but i’m sure they’ll be ironed out eventually

1 Like

yep I agree.

I think I can live with the pop-ups for the performance gains

1 Like

my experience thus far. I cleared all needed, Community folder etc and performed a test flight BEFORE the update in clear weather over Lelystad in Holland and Bristol in UK. C172 default, Ultra setting.
No Mods.
I performed the exact same flight after the update.
These are my results:
BEFORE: Frame Rate Cockpit Lelystad around 40, Bristol 36.
OUTSIDE cockpit 47 Bristol 40

After update: Frame rate Cockpit view Lelystad 57, Bristol 55
outside cockpit Lelystad 59 , Bristol 57

No stutters, no scenery popping.
Spec:
AMD Ryzen 3700X 8 Core
32GB Ram
Geforce Nvidia RTX2070 super

no mods of any kind.

so for me this update has delivered perfectly although I already had smooth flight before.
The framerate has always been unimportant to me but I have measured it this time.
I did switch the cockpit assistance to legacy.
Before the update I would normally fly with High-End settings as I found that to be the most
consistent but I did these tests on default Ultra.
Guess thats my setting now .

The actual update was torture and took a day and a half although I stopped it overnight.
This morning I started a 7am (UK) and was succesful downloading all.
I then went to the Content folder to download all the updates there and this is where I hit
around midday the time the USA tends to come into action.
As I watched, literally in seconds I saw my download speed go from 50 Mbs to 0.9 !! Yes thats 0.9.
It then started to jojo up and down but never recovered over 14 Mbs.
This suggests to me that some global load balancing has been going on. I am normally linked to North European servers.
I hope that this is entirely due to the massive initial load from everybody and isnt a sign to come
with all the XBoxes coming online.
The download hardware is entirely under Microsoft’s control and I see that as a failure.
For a massive roll out like this they should have put a lot more extra resources online, even if only temporary. Microsoft has enough experience to be able to calculate the requirement.

1 Like

The base game 40gig update only took an hour and half, but the in-game updates seemed to take ages for me

beside of some issues with existing add-ons ( e.g mentioned EGLC ) , the sim works now beautiful smooth. I fly since a while only with vsync ( 37,5fps ) and I noticed the game can reach this fps usually allwayws with a 2080TI and nearly all settings at ultra, 4K ( not full, 3840x1600 ). So I like it…

1 Like

About 20% increase in FPS for me, but visual quality seems to have gone down with the Update, even though graphical settings are identical to before. Also lots of CTD and new bugs, such as the top menu bar staying visible all the time. And all the old bugs are still there, including the badly broken manual cache UI, pilot stats not accurate or aligning with the logbook, etc. I’ve filed bugs on these for each update but nobody seems to be looking at them, so won’t waste time with the bug reporter anymore.

Overall, I’d say it’s two steps forward, one step backwards, like all the other updates. Progress I guess, but still frustrating.

3 Likes

+1 …not storing entered airplane call-sign… :rofl:

2 Likes

Well I was monitoring last night and saw that the gpu temp was running around 80c and HS Ive never seen it run that hot before. I looked it up this morning and apparently thats optimum temp for a 1080 ti under load…

Ive heard some others making the same comment, so if you think your gpu is running to hot look it up if might not be running hot enough ;p

R3800X
RTX3080
16GB DDR4@3333
4K monitor @ 60

Graphic settings:
Preset Ultra
Render Scaling : 90

EGLL 09L - Few Clouds @ 12:00

Before Update - Avg 35fps

After Update - Avg 60fps

EDDF 07C - Few Clouds @ 12:00

Before Update - Avg 40fps

After Update - Avg 55-60fps

After a very long update process I took a short flight between EGKK - EDDF. Personally I am very impressed with the update’s performance improvements. General navigation on the menus feels smooth and responsive. Same improvements have been implemented with the loading times, world map as well. Generally it feels like a brand new sim.

Only issues I have noticed so far were around clouds, you can notice this difference from the pre-update images v post update images. The sim is very bright and clouds seems to have lost shadows and contrasts. At cruising altitude, clouds are also very grainy.

I have also noticed that ground textures at cruising altitude is also less crisp then before.

These issues reminded me of SU2 and Asobo was very prompt to acknowledge and fix these issues, I am very sure they will address these minor issues in short period of time.

Overall personally, I think this is a great update that addresses some of the performance issues and hopefully will set a great foundation for the SU6.

All the best and happy flying.

1 Like

I earned about 10 fps, but I would have gladly given them up to avoid this horrible pop ins.

1 Like

i cant even play the sim anymore its so broken now, freezes every time it loads then takes 5 mins to resume, same happens when if my controller is unplugged or plugged it and even then i have no controls despite them being configured

1 Like

I didnt measure performance before the update. But after the update I get about 110 fps flying over Bora Bora or about 65 fps flying over New York. Altough I dont have exact numbers before the update it certainly improved substantially. Performance is measured at 1080p (full HD) at ultra settings with photographic BING map rendered enabled.
System: Core i7 10700K, MSI RTX 3080, 32 GB RAM 2933 (2x16)
I didnt experience pop ups. Image quality looks a little bit less sharp than it was. But only minor. Worth the performance increase.
Bigger problem is that the game freezes or crashes during starting up when loading the update checker. I didnt have that problem before the update.

I seem to be one of the few with no discernible performance gains. I have gained stutters and pop-ins, though. Load times have also improved considerably.

I’m still at 34-39fps, just like before. Limited by main thread, according to the devmode.
I think it’s a bit weird to be limited my main thread at such low fps, with a modest, old GPU.

i9-9900K@5GHz
32Gm 3600MHz RAM
1080Ti

I’m using the same CPU at 5ghz with an RTX2070, and am consistently CPU limited. I’ve pushed the graphics settings crazy low and crazy high, and still getting the same constraint.

some pics of flying now over UK to Dublin cant get much better at 100 fps

2 Likes

Yea true a bit down the terrein level etc

1 Like

Well, after a slow and painful upgrade process, I’m impressed with the performance gain. Now I can use 100% render scaling where I could barely fly with 80% before.

1 Like

Ooo that’s goood

Well I finally got to load into the actual airport and sat on the apron doing my checks. My FPS was on average 10-20% lower and my CPU was sitting at around 37%. I agree they offloaded some stuff to the GPU which even though I am not CPU bound anymore is giving me worse FPS. I notice on the 1000 series it almost looks like more passes per frame now. I can actually see the lighting and reflection rendering redraw with every view change.

Despite all the issues I was hoping I would at least see a performance increase but alas nope. With current state of this build I really have no desire to even boot it back up and debug it now. Not getting my hopes up for any fixes for this stuff either it’s an absolute mess on my end. After doing a few pages of checks I soft locked and had to shut the task down. It was an entire sim downgrade for me. Whole new sim and everything is worse.