Sim Update 7 Live Weather regression - a broken mess

@Mobias7

It’s a degradation because of this.

Fog pop up problem - YouTube.

How anyone can say that is not a degradation is beyond me.

4 Likes

Because thats a bug, which I believe Asobo have acknowledged and will obviously try and fix. Degradation implies the weather is now being rendered uniformly objectively worse by the sim.

2 Likes

@Mobias7

OK, where have they said this a bug, would be interested to read it?

I think during this weeks Q+A they mentioned there was an issue with the way new METAR weather blends in. Its pretty obvious there’s an issue there which they’ll fix. It won’t be left like that.

Also the clouds in your photos compared to those of @BragRaindrop933 are way way better. You are lucky to get those, my experience is that they are more along the latter lines and don’t look good at all.

The Q&A before the update came out?

There’s definitely technical issues which aren’t consistent. Obviously I’ve just been lucky (so far)

I think so yeah. There was a few things covered and I’m sure they mentioned the way METAR blends in. I’m not 100% certain but I think there was.

They mentioned in the Q&A the night before SU7 release that weather should be on the whole much more accurate but you would experience the odd bug now and then, but they didn’t elaborate on what exactly they meant by that.

I don’t think it’s a bug because there are no stratus clouds aloft anywhere in the sim. Without stratus, you can’t have an overcast layer. I’ve visited several locations with OVC and the best you get are densely packed cumulus, but that is BKN and not OVC.

As for the retrograde, how about the heat bug above 44000 ft? Remember when we all had to deal with that before and the erratic winds and altitudes the heat bug caused? Well it’s back and listed in the Know Issues for SU7. I just had the CJ4 disintegrate at FL450 due to that bug. All my longer flights now will be limited to FL430 until that retrograde bug is fixed.

Today I have been downloading the AIG liveries for VATSIM. It has been all day download still at 40 percent. It says 1208 airlines. I will spend all my weekend testing it and watching airplanes at vatsim to see where the app lacks. I have to give the weather a break because I will get crazy.

They released SU7 on a Thursday mostly on the weekend. They do not celebrate Thanksgiving in Europe so I assume they will work on it starting on Monday and release a hotfix. If nothing is done next week then I will realize they don’t care as people who play the “game” do not care about the simulator some of them will not even realize the weather is broken and are having fun with the race DLC.

I won’t expect them to work on the weekend as it is probably a major issue.

1 Like

Global dynamic weather (meteoblue) will always conflict with local static weather (METAR). We will see many more topics about the weather in the future now than before integration of METAR. They have two different systems now that never will be perfect togeather.

The weather IRL is not static. It always changes more or less. From the beginning we should not compare it with the current real weather because they can’t get that into the sim. Because that happening right now and will change a second later.

We should see if the weather we get in the sim is what we could have had at that place right now. It does not need to match. If they included METAR generated by the sim of the current weather in the sim instead it will always match the generated METAR and the weather can still be dynamic that way. If METAR is that important while flying. For me it’s not. Maybe a bit before landing or taking off. ATC is more important to have accurate. We need something to forecast the weather and that we have meteoblue or other sources of forecasts. The forecasts need to match the sim weather and that they need to improve not insert METAR.

Now they have this haze/fog in the sim why not include it in the meteoblue system instead when it reports low clouds? They could only use METAR to decide what to inject if meteoblue also reports low clouds. If meteoblue not reporting low clouds it will not look good if METAR decides to inject them anyway.

Now they have a problem if METAR and meteoblue not matching instead of matching the current real weather and that is worse than before in my opinion.

4 Likes

Totally agree

Current live weather is just broken :confused:
I explain some of my issues here:

1 Like

Hi

I think the weather system for the previous version was very good. It does not matter if the metar is not accurate to every detail, it was close enough. In real life the value changes constantly too. The weather and winds were also accurate enough to do planning via simbrief. Going back to previous live weather version gets a vote from me.

7 Likes

You are not totally right. With 6 hours old weather data injection from Live Weather was very inaccurate too before this SU7 disaster. In many cases, not VATSIM approved.

I agree. And that they need to improve on and it also need to be the same for every user. Not including METAR that only makes it harder to match. Now they have three things that needs to match. Static, dynamic and current real time weather.

Static and dynamic will only match if both reporting the exact same things. And that we did know before meteoblue was not matching METAR.

static METAR and current real time weather is always close matching but always static.

dynamic meteoblue sometimes matching both. Sometimes not. But always dynamic.

Current real time weather globally or locally is impossible to get in the sim even with METAR, they are static observations and measures of weather that occured at that time. Like a photo.

I choose dynamic weather and want them improve that system.

But we all has different opinions. Maybe some are happy now with the integration of METAR. We need to know that will make the weather more static and not always matching meteoblue.

Why can’t VATSIM adapt to the weather in MSFS instead? it’s like real ATC do not approve the weather that occuring right now IRL. The thing is the weather need to match for you and me in the sim at the same place at the same time. It’s not needed to match current real time weather. it does not need to match other sims weather either. VATSIM needs to look how the weather is at that airport in MSFS and then use that to report the weather at that airport in that specific sim. We will never have a good dynamic weather system if the devs need to have it approved by vatsim. It’s Vatsim that needs to adapt to the weather system changes. As the pilot need to adapt to the weather changes that always happening in real time IRL.

We need to observe and measure the dynamic weather that happening in the sim instead of using real METAR or look how the weather is IRL. That way it always matching and we also get dynamic weather as IRL. Now we can use real METAR but it will be static and the transission will not be smooth. I like the first method best but it needs us to do observations of the weather that happening in the sim.

And that i think everybody has done since release because we observed it not matching current real time weather.

Looks a lot like my static images (posted earlier on this thread) of my approach to Zurich yesterday afternoon at sunset (with live weather on) - weird blob like clouds on the ground and light haze everywhere, but visibility generally good. It certainly doesn’t look like normal weather any more, and I can’t say I ever thought that with how it was working before this update. I do like the new haze visuals though.

I wish a can go back to previous live weather version. I was happy with it. This now is the worst weather engine ever. :sob:

5 Likes

It was completely bogus yesterday but today it’s fine (central EU) and don’t get how this would be the worst weather engine ever all of a sudden? Beyond the old (inherent) shortcomings (prediction-based with delay) I see a lot of improvements, particularly in the cloud depiction and currency of terminal weather.