Simulator does not start anymore, update impossible, reinstallation impossible

Sorry but I had problem with Microsoft Store.
Did you see your Event Log Viewer Widows+X and you find Event
perhaps you can find answer when some application blocks computer (ERROR) RED

In my case it was an application from ASUS

Well, I finally managed to install the simulator, in my case I had a problem with the gaming services, in the list of services there are two, one started and the other did not want to start with the 'Gaming Services error 12007 (0x2ee7).

Problem I had since the last update of gaming services v2.54.22004.0 made on July 29.

I have been using the Destroy-Windows-10-Spying (DWS) software since the beginnings of Windows 10, which adds IP addresses to be blocked (this concerns telemetry).

I removed all the Ips addresses added in the Host files by this software (DWS), and I restarted, and magically the two gaming services started and I was able to download the simulator.

So I suppose that for the 1st start of the gaming services after the update there are communications with some servers, after this first start of the gaming services and the installation of the simulator, I again put the Ips blocked in the host file, and since after the restarts both services starts and I downloaded the contents of the simulator without problems.

A week of researching and testing all the solutions available on the forum and the internet without fixing the problem, and late last night I thought about this software and the host file.

IP blocking had never been a problem before, the first time I have encountered this kind of problem since the release of windows 10.

If it can help someone else.

Good flights

I finally managed to get msfs to start installing again and like others it was gaming services that was the culprit.

Even though I did a windows reinstall keeping apps and data it didn’t help.

If is of any help here is what we did:-

Gaming services seemed to be failing to start but no amount of uninstalling, reinstalling with powershell or deleting registry entries helped. Eventually we found that gaming services were failing because it was failing to find some of the dll files needed to run. These were missing from the gaming services folder in c/user/“app data”. (Sorry can’t remember the exact path). Also we couldn’t paste anything, delete anything or do anything to any of the files and sub folders in there, we couldn’t even take ownership of the folder as admin or system user. Eventually we came to the conclusion that that folder or its permissions must be corrupt some how.

We uninstalled gaming services with powershell, and did another windows repair installation and that must have released the folder permissions and allowed gaming services to reinstall properly letting the Store start reinstalling the sim OK.

My next step would have been to reboot into safe mode and delete the gaming services folder, thankfully it wasn’t needed.

One thing I did find was that when I was reinstalling the world update packages from content manager was that I needed to do them one at a time as selecting more than one at once will cause a ctd.

What an absolute performance! Microsoft and Asobo really need to overhaul their install/upgrade methods. This has taken a week and the combined skills of a cyber security expert and a retired IT support engineer. What chance do muggles have?

Thanks to all those who have posted suggestions, your help has been most appreciated!

G

Thank you for your info,could you explain more how to unistall gaming services and do a windows repair.
I suspect I have the same problem as Xbox app would flash on loading and disappear CTD. For the past few months.

In windows search bar type

powershell

Right click on it and select run as administrator.

Copy the command below and paste into powershell (right click to paste into powershell)

get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers

press enter

Copy the command below and paste into powershell (right click to paste into powershell)

start ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MWPM2CQNLHN

Install gaming services and restart PC.

Run microsoft store app and install msfs.

Thanks,I must have done this before somehow? It wants me to sign up for MS store again (I already have two accounts now) hmm this time it says $15.95 AUD a month where before it was always $10.95. I guess its looking more like completely wiping windows may be the only option left or forget MSFS 2020.

That doesn’t sound right, make sure you are logged in properly to your existing account. Once in there try making a change, say by changing your password or something, it may be your account is corrupted and this might cause it to save cleanly again.

I am away from my machine for a couple of weeks so I can’t give you exact paths but I should be able to point you in the right direction.

• Follow the steps in the above post to see if powershell will remove and reinstall gaming services.

• In my case the folders where gaming services were corrupted after a ctd. I couldn’t even delete them as a System user so gaming services wasn’t being installed properly. I may have been able to delete them if I rebooted into Safe Mode but solved things before trying this.

This guide will get you into Safe Mode but read up on it and make sure you understand it first.

The folders involved are both hidden and may be locked. As I only have an iPad at the moment I am not confident in giving you instructions on how find them and get in there without access to my pc. Hopefully others can chip in here and Google should return some help too.

• Doing a Windows repair reinstall was the last thing I needed to do to resolve my problem. I do know that it made no difference for others but did work in my case.

The above link should help you there. You first need to make a Windows USB image using the Windows media creation tool then follow the guide to use this to reinstall Windows using the “Keep my apps and files” options as described. That may take up to an hour and your pc will reboot itself many times but it is fairly easy and automatic. Again though it’s something you need to read up on and make sure you are confident beforehand.

Hope this helps or at least points you in the right direction.
G

Can you please describe how you remove the IPs (and what IP addresses) from the host file.
thanks in advance

Hello, I am using notepad++ to edit the host file.

The file is located there C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

If you are using the DWS software, it adds a list of IP addresses in the host file,

#DWS
0.0.0.0 [And the addresses to block]

Just delete them from the Host file and save

1 Like

T H A N K Y O U
That was my problem too. I delete the IPs in the host file and now it’s working again. :star_struck:

1 Like

Really glad it works for you! :slightly_smiling_face:

Normally if you want you can put the blocked addresses back in the host file, I did that and it works even after restarting the pc.

Good flights

This is the solution for me. :slight_smile:

i went “Configurations” → “Applications” → “Games Service” → “Advenced Options”.> “Reset”
and init “Microsoft Store” → “Downloads” → “Games Service”

Re-init the computer.

Greetings

May I know which are these 2 ‘gaming services’ and are you on steam or windows store? I am on steam and wonder if these services concern me. Thank you.

I am on the Windows Store version,

You can check (Win + R), services.msc and see if you have both gaming services in the list, if they are in the list, both must be started.

Thank you, this address is in the list of addresses blocked by DWS.

It’s good to know which one was to allow among all the others.

I have been fighting this same problem for two weeks. Usually, I get no place - even though the store tells me I own a copy, it won’t download it so I can reinstall it. However, every once in a while, I get the following message. Can someone PLEASE tell me what it means and what I am (specifically) supposed to do. Thank you.
ms-windows-store://pdp/?productld=9PMDBL7963LD&ocid=&ocid=&referrer=login.love.co <from me -THE REST IS MISSING>
This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page.

I to am experiencing the same issue, placed a Bug report a week ago, but still no reply. I thought a response might have come back from initial report like “Fix in Progress” but it’s now causing us the end user, floundering to get back to enjoying this hobby.

I had same problem but solved it:

1. In Microsoft store, go to Microsoft Flight Simulator Digital Ownership and install.(again)
    2.Go to "Downloads and updatest in MS Store.
  2. Update MS Flight Simulator is now possible.

All I get is a spinning circle.

When you install via your suggestion:
In Microsoft store, go to Microsoft Flight Simulator Digital Ownership and install.(again)

Does it wipe your hours/history in MSFS? I would like to follow your suggestion but dont want to lose my log. Meanwhile I have a simple workaround as outlined below.

I have the same problem of “A new update
” My workaround is to disconnect the internet and start MSFS. Once it goes through some of the loadings, it tells me it is offline, then I connect the internet back, and the game loads and works as normal. Hope this helps anyone stuck for the new update available issue.