Simulator doesn't start anymore at all

Another update, almost a full day later and I did a system recovery of my windows due to an unrelated issue. Doing so removed most of my errors if not all from the event viewer, and I figured I would mention that the flight simulator will open but it is honestly a hit or miss. Most of the time it will never open, and when I check task manager, the task manager freezes up and I try to restart windows to try again. I am having a hard time trying to replicate this issue but so far the sim will open if I have task manager up and I run it through the xbox app. This again, is a hit or miss and sometimes it wont even work at all nor show up in the task manager. If it does show up in the task manager, the sim never opens or launches.

I can assure you it does!
perhaps you have forgotten to use the possessive adjective ‘my’ in your heading.

I have found in my experiences at least, when I have a CTD or the sim will not start, I follow the following procedure:
Check your Appdata/local/Packages directory
Make sure that all the folder have a proper name, some start with numbers, but there is always a name
If you find folder like “e345d778c9994715 g34567820577” and this is just an example, click on it and if you find the same structure as of Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8weky…we, this is the culprit.
Delete the folder from the inside up, subfolder by subfolder (SystemAppdata, Settings, RoamingState, LocalState, LocalCache, AppData, AC), then go up and delete the folder (e345d…), the reason for this is ,if you delete this folder from the top, the OS may not let you.
Once this funny folder is gone restart the sim, and you will be back in it. I have done this on two occasions that the sim would not start or freeze.
Hope this help to those that cannot start the sim, provided that is properly downloaded.
Summarizing, you should not have another folder with the same subfolders as Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8weky…in /Packages

you sure? I have at least 5 folders starting with those things and have same structure sub folders.

That is exactly what I mentioned. Yes, I am sure.

Mine wouldn’t start. I reinstalled and it works fine once, after reinstall than it doesn’t start anymore. After the asobo loge it displays the desert, wallpaper, I think it’s New Mexico and it just sits there. No crash but no start either. It’s the 3rd time I re-installed with the same result. I’m about to give up on this simulator.

1 Like

I found this in the “Application Log”, in cas anyone has any idea what it means.
Faulting application name: XboxApp.exe, version: 48.70.2010.21001, time stamp: 0x5f90c2e4
Faulting module name: Windows.UI.Xaml.dll, version: 10.0.18362.1171, time stamp: 0x3065fca2
Exception code: 0xc000027b
Fault offset: 0x0000000000713260
Faulting process id: 0x397c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6ca916a87ad22
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.XboxApp_48.70.21001.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\XboxApp.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll
Report Id: 66d25a81-1d83-4200-b200-d3cec217d5d4
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.XboxApp_48.70.21001.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

You may reinstall the Xbox app from the store, uninstall it first from your Microsoft Apps.

After update today through market place, the game wont start again. If I am to re-install the game, it would be the fifth time.

Maybe is time to look into your computer, is it up-to-date, graphic driver, what other games you have with older dll’s files, this is a source trouble. Gamers have several other programs that may interfere indirectly, how much RAM, how much space in your drive,etc. By default, MSFS2020 install in the user/Appdata/local folder with everything in it, Community, etc.
It looks you have problems with the Xbox app, remove it and re-download it, there are 7 packages with the Xbox name.
When I first installed MSFS2020, I chose my C: , and I name it /MSFS2020, and there I have the Community and Official folders, all others are in users/myname/Appdata/Packages/Microsoft.Simulator_8weky…we.
You should also have the Microsoft.GamingApp_8weky…we,
Microsoft.GamingServices_8weky…we
Microsoft.DigitalOwnership_8weky…we
Microsoft.DesktopAppinstaller_8weky…we

Any weird packages with no names, just a string of letters and numbers, and the same structure as the Microsoft.Simulator package should be deleted.

The _8weky…we designation may not be the same for you, could be a machine related designation, that I do not know.

My machine is very clean with 2 SSD Nvme 1Tb Drives, I have MSFS2020 in C: an XPlane in D/ . I also put everything else in D/ , music, photos. If somebody wants to play “shootemup” games or racing, etc.,I use the Xbox. Do not like Steam, never had a problem with MS Store or downloading or updating the game, basically I like Flight Simulation the best.

I get the same thing,… if I re-install the whole thing it works fine… So obviously not a problem that my Computer can run the program fine,… when it works its looks great …

The next time I try and run it I get the New Mexico wallpaper… then a black screen… the blue bar goes up to 80% and stops.

I have tried it today. and there is a massive update which just seems to hang…

Going back to P3D and maybe try it again next year… wasted so much time on this

1 Like

Also, was unable to start the sim this morning BUT reboot of PC helped!

I don’t get it. Every time there is a “patch” the flight simulator downloads 106 GB of data. What kind of programing is this when an update need everything from scratch? I can’t believe anyone has anything good to say about this product. Every patch takes 2 days to download. Ridiculous!

1 Like

On top of it, after it finishes it works once and then in doesn’t load anymore, until the next patch. That has been my experience for the past few months.

1 Like

Same as me!
Huge patch yesterday… it worked but with only two planes… the C152 and the Dahler Malibu
So had to download another ton of content and missing planes… AGAIN
So today… the blue bar stops loading at 80% as usual

Reading many threads on this subject the main reason that seems to cause the game to download again is that it believes core game files are corrupt. The cause of this could be use of a mod or something so simple that a file date or content has been changed by either the user or some other component on the users system.
I myself haven’t experienced the problem and it doesn’t appear widespread but you appear to be one of the unlucky ones suffering the problem.

1 Like

After not playing for a while, the sim will not start on my PC. The sim app shows briefly in Task Manager and then disappears. I tried everything suggested in related threads, including Windows 10 20H2 update with a few subsequent updates found after searching for updates from Windows Settings, resetting the MS Store cache and installing all available updates, and driver updates. From the sheer number of posts on this something is clearly broken. I want my money back.

Today i’m trying to open my msfs and nothing really happens. Just my game doesn’t start at all. Tried from XBOX application and also trying to launch from shortcut.
Also, it’s weird that i see this:
Like it’s currently in downloading process, but it nevere progresses
Please , advise me what to do…
Capture

what you have already tried from the given hints ?

tried to repair, 3 times reboot… then tried from xbox applciation to launch the game…all games from xbox like Forza Horizon 4 are launched well…
For now, i just removed the game and it downloads again… Will see later after downloading if it goes.
Thanks man for trying to help…