SimWorks Studios announced development of Kodiak 100

I downloaded the update today and ran the installer but can’t get past this error message:

It says I don’t have permission for that directory but it has no trouble putting the temp1 installer file there and I already have full permission for that temp directory as you can see:

I’ve also tried running the update installer as administrator but no joy.

Any suggestions before I contact SWS?

Those kind of look like the defaults, which is what I have. All three have “Full Control”:

You could try disabling your antivirus, long shot but may help.

1 Like

That worked, thanks. Never had this issue on the original install, but there you go :slight_smile:

In case anyone else gets this, Avast Antivirus was causing the issue.

2 Likes

It would be worth letting SWS know. Avast will have a way to report false positives, but that usually involves submitting the file to them. Since this is payware either they would need to do it, or you could seek permission to send the file to them yourself.

2 Likes

Yep. I’ve had anti-virus issues a few times with this sim. Be it a kodiak install or a sim update it can cause problems. First thing I disable now if I’m having trouble.

2 Likes

Interesting, that’s 2 black marks for Avast then. I’ve been an Avast user for more than a decade and never had issues before about 3 weeks ago. My rig almost never had CTDs with FS2020 but then they started happening randomly and almost every time after the Sim fully loaded, sometimes in the World Map but most often while flying. I tried earlier nVidia driver versions, emptying the Community folder, even reinstalling FS2020 in a new User account on the PC. Nothing seemed to work.

On a whim I then disabled all the Avast “Shields” and Windows Defender popped up to replace the Avast firewall, and no more CTDs. I uninstalled just the Avast Firewall, repopulated the Community folder with add-ons and since then not even one CTD. That was more than a week ago and I’ve launched FS2020 at least a dozen times and flown for more than 5 hours.

2 Likes

I tried the update but did not like it. It failed every instrument test I gave it. LOD2 also looks horrible now. I have to actually hide the plane in third person and the purple screens at night … no thanks

Plus found some new bugs. Doors close automatically at a certain range in drone cam and it seems the plane resets? Also brightness on the display panels is max and should be default at like 50 or something. I already miss the brightness control on the knob. Every time now I have to go into the PFD settings to set 1/5 of the default brightness. CDI needle still gets stuck on approach and locks the instruments and also switches to VOR2 instead of VOR1. Power seemed to fade off on approach as if the mixture was wrong. I had to keep adding power to my approach. Seemed off but maybe it’s just me used to the old power. Also what happened to brightness controls on the Air Conditioning Display Panel? Right click menu doesnt have brightness but I could have sworn it did. Passengers and cargo not showing in my A4 Tundra either even when presetting weight before flight and then going directly to fly now. Adjusting this after loading did not fix but it does show the copilot so I know it’s working just another new bug with passengers and cargo automata loading.

I have removed even pushback toolbar for more testing now and also done a fresh reinstall after removing my last Kodi install. State files and camera files same but made sure the directory was purged and empty before installing new version. More testing to follow.

Strange. I’ve also completely deleted the previous one before installing the new one but I’ve not met with these issues.
Brightness was on 30%(? less than 50% for sure) by default. I’ll check the CDI needle again later but I did several VOR/DME approaches since the update and I do not recall any instrumentation issue. I do need more power for landing than earlier but I’m learning into MTOW operations since the update so I cannot tell if it was different earlier - the plane feel a lot more heavy compared to the earlier, much lighter OPS, that’s sure. I always reset the load before starting the engine, never use the data coming from the fly setup page. I’ve used 3-4 liveries, passengers and cargo appear well - I lack to copilot after load reset but for me that was never an issue.

You certainly do need to keep the power in for landing now. This is the modified drag at play I suspect and I like it. It was very slow to lose speed in the previous version. The only small thing I’m not sure about is the sudden change in sound when you go below a certain power setting. Flying wise though I think it’s better.

2 Likes

That’s correct, I had to use low idle for “not so short” strips earlier to slow it down. At first I thought the adjustment of low/high idle Ng also had something to do with the current behavior but after some landing I have felt it more pronounced so I thought it was more to do with the max weight. But if drag was also adjusted that explains it - I missed this change. It’s also easier to get the stall warning working (slow down) during touchdown so yes, I also like the new behavior better.

Editing later:
Oh, I just found it: “-Increased propeller drag significantly and corrected engine output at lower power settings” - well, that seems to be legit. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Really a small detail, but with the latest update I don’t hear the igniters anymore when activating them manually for LO start. I hear them clicking when staring in HI start though (they come on automatically as designed). Is this a known issue?

Can’t say I particularly listened for them pre this update but I do know that before this update the ignition was permanently on because of a bug. You could do a lo start previously without the ignition switch on and it would start. This has been fixed with this update. If you say you heard it come on previously then I can only assume that the sound was linked to the switch rather than the actual state of the ignition. Perhaps the sound trigger got missed with the ignition fix.

1 Like

Arent we always supposed to start the plane on LO when it has been sitting cold?

My impression was HI was when connected to external power and LO was used when working from internal batteries.

However I am not a real world Kodiak pilot so may have that confused with another aircraft.

EDIT: OK I was half right. This is what the manual says:

LO START. The two aircraft batteries perform the start sequence in parallel.

HI START. Though HI START results in faster light off, cooler starting
temperatures, and lower stresses on the engine, it depletes the batteries
more quickly. The Master Control Unit (MCU) initiates the start with the two
batteries in parallel and then, as the starter current decays to a pre-determined
value, the batteries are switched into series to feed the starter. The resultant
48 volts appear only at the starter and nowhere else in the electrical system.

The inrush current and impact torque on the accessory gears is significantly
reduced and the engine acceleration is faster, which results in reduced peak
inter-turbine temperatures at startup.

If a ground power unit is available, an external power start should be
performed on the first flight of the day or if maintenance has been performed
on the aircraft involving the use of the aircraft electrical system. Even if
24 volts is shown on the voltmeter, the battery condition may be less than
desired.

If a ground power unit is not available, a LO/MOTOR START should be
selected on the first flight of the day, or if maintenance has been performed
on the aircraft involving the use of the aircraft electrical system. LO/MOTOR
START should also be selected and is recommended if a HI START is
attempted without successful light-off, and no external power is available.

The LO START cycle does not consume as much battery power for continued
attempts to start the engine.

2 Likes

In the various checklists, I think there’s mention of LO only for first start after maintenance and when no ground power is available. Otherwise HI is preferred.

But the official POH states that:

It is recommended to use the LO/MOTOR function to start the aircraft for the first
flight of the day.

With the following description:

The LO/MOTOR function of the starter switch is provided for an alternate method
of starting the engine when battery condition is poor, clearing fuel from the engine,
dry-motoring of the engine for compressor washes and other maintenance-related
procedures. The ignition system is not automatically energized when LO/MOTOR is
selected, and the batteries remain in parallel with each other to maintain 24 volts to the
starter/generator while the switch is placed in this position.

So go figure. But the main question may be: does it make any difference to MSFS if one is used instead of the other? I would assume it doesn’t.

edit: just saw the updated previous comment. If it’s only a matter of wearing down engine and batteries, then it’s not relevant with MSFS as none of these things is simulated accurately and obviously there’s no in-game wear and tear between flights. Heck, there’s not even state saving in 99% of the MSFS aircraft out there (JF’s Pipers being one of the very few exceptions). State saving should be a must in every aircraft that defines itself as self-study because it’s completely feasible, whereas gradual wear depends a lot on API capabilities which I’m not sure are there yet.

3 Likes

New G1000 NXi version is out (0.11) so it’s advised to update it from the sim! At first glance it works fine but I haven’t touched it deeply.

There are reports about “Altitude” not working properly for some users. I would refer to the NXi thread first before upgrading. It is being investigated at the moment:

Fortunately, this doesn’t appear to be a universal issue, and it one of those things that emptying the Community folder will fix.

Really hoping we can get some proper feedback on LOD2 issue now. Is there any way to convince SWS that baking this out was a bad idea? I mean we should not have to have a dumbed down plane because of XBOX especially one we already had that was working fine.

Just sitting cold on apron you can see the screens are off. Move the drone camera back ten feet and bam purple faked screens replacing our beautiful Kodi LOD2. Now the only reason I am miffed here is because it had the best external LOD in the entire sim. Now they are baking it down.

Can’t you just put the faked LOD2 on XBOX version and keep PC the same? I have already reverted to last build but moving forward we will have to mod the KODI out on PC to continue with it having proper LODS. Technically there is no issue with the new LOD per say it just looks horrible. Especially at night when the screens go purple and light up the plane. I honestly can’t stand it. Whoever modelled the plane must be quite dis satisfied as I know the art team is not happy with the change.

So I urge you to listen to feedback here and do not dumb this plane down. I’m begging you as I love this plane.

1 Like