SimWorks Studios PC-12 (47 and NG)

Waiting patiently on this :+1:

1 Like

Same, really can’t wait. Not only is it a great aircraft it’s also from one of my favorite devs. High quality products and a very humble team that I just love to support. Day one purchase!

3 Likes

A bit late to the party, but here is an owed update on the PC-12! For a change, instead of posting a long paragraph detailing everything, you can click on the images below to get most of the information regarding progress in the graphics, flight model and some of the other aircraft features. Image 1: Approaching Lausanne at full flaps. Notice the steep nose-down attitude needed to maintain glideslope, which is characteristic of the PC-12. The approach angle is close but not there yet, as we need to do about 8 degrees nose down to be correct. Approach characteristics have proven to be a challenge to model correctly and we are still working hard to dial them in. Unfortunately, some things are not possible to simulate as the MSFS flight model cannot do them. Image 2: The interior is starting to shape up. Basic textures are in place and we are constantly refining our textures. Decals will break up the uniform look and help bring the plane to its final look. Image 3: As you know from the Kodiak, engine aging will be a thing in our PC-12 as well. We are experimenting with a feature that will alert you to an engine that is due for servicing. When the plane in the hangar, if the engine is getting close to the maintenance threshold you will see the plane parked with the cowling open, meaning that the “virtual mechanic” caught it and you should remember to “reset” your engine on the next flight. Image 4: The pre-flight feature will be present in v1.0 for familiarisation and also to repair your engine. This will be possible by clicking on an area in the engine bay. Engine aging and damage will be the only advanced feature available in v1.0 of the PC-12/47. Image 5: We are adding some operator-specific items, which will differ for each airline. This diorama is inspired by Fly7’s executive aircraft.

1. On the coding front, more and more systems are being activated every day. The first thing we implemented last week is a custom trim system. In FSX and MSFS, trim doesn’t work as it does in reality; the longer you hold the trim in-game, the faster it will increment whereas in the real thing you will always have the same response. This is especially important for the PC-12 because the real aircraft’s trim is slow and allows for extremely fine control of the aicraft. A benefit of having our own trim system is that we were also able to simulate the yaw damper. The PC-12’s yaw damper will detect changes in your yaw rate and trim the rudder to reduce slipping. As it commands either trim left or trim right, the damper responds with the same speed as the trim servo, therefore it isn’t a magic solution that instantly fights yaw oscillations! Lastly, the aileron-rudder interconnect system is now within our technical reach and this, along with the stick pusher are the last two important systems needed to be able to give our PC-12 the right handling qualities. Both these features are expected to be completed within the next couple of weeks. There are also more developements going on in parallel. One is that the cargo cabin has been modelled, which was a necessary first step for the commuter version. Also, the exterior will soon feature the panel work that you notice on the real PC-12, which we hope to share this Friday. Last but not least, our sound contractor is going on a field trip to Lausanne in order to record 4-bladed PC-12 in early June. The good news is that we will have real sounds for both the 4-bladed and 5-bladed PC-12.

The bad news, however is we expect to have another delay for our release, until the sounds are processed and added to the aircraft. As we were very late in completing our model, we lost our slot for sound work and therefore have to wait for a new one. Our intention is to have the plane done in the next 2-3 weeks and wait for the sounds to be completed, which should be done around the end of June or early July. The upside to this is that while waiting, we will refine what we already have and maybe add some of the features intended for the updates into v1.0. That is all, see you this weekend!

13 Likes

Have to say after reading the above…

I am so glad that I didnt rush out (the temptation was real) and purchased the “other” pc12…

This will definitely be a very worth while wait for this ‘simworks’ built pc12…

So can’t wait for this to be in my hanger… Do some real world Sounds air flights, retire the TBM and also having that other option in doing some business flights, but not at 40,000ft…

I bet my Aussie counterparts will be looking forward in getting her dirty and rescuing people out in the outback from dirt strips…

5 Likes

And the aileron-rudder interconnect is finally in! Time for a celebratory glass of tomato juice…

9 Likes

Legit :grin: celebration and a great choice of beverage.

Is having to water the plant going to be included in the damage modeling?

Awesome update! Thanks!

It will be done when it’s done, and we’ll be happy! :smiley:

1 Like

It’s plastic. No plant has survived 24h in my care. Salad or dry up to be sprinkled on bacon.

3 Likes

Exactly! I was imagining the challenge!

Of course, I totally understand, and have the same issues. If we can’t manage to keep plants alive, how are we supposed to figure out how to model the tasks necessary to do that?

1 Like

New Weekend update below:

Its time for another weekend update! Today we have several things to talk about.

-Image 1: You may have noticed on PC-12 videos that the aircraft yoke moves on the ground when the aircraft is steering. This is because the PC-12 has an aileron-rudder interconnect system. The rudder and ailerons are mechanically linked so moving one will also move the other. The purpose of that is to help with adverse yaw and coordinate the turns more easily. While in the air the effect is much more subtle, but enough to make controlling the plane much easier. In addition to that, there have been some refinements to engine power to achieve proper torque for the maximum endurance cruise setting.

-Image 2&3: Aircraft lights have been activated and various secondary systems fine-tuned. Next week will see the implementation of the stick pusher and shaker, as well as the final tuning pass to the aircraft’s engine. What remains to be done after that are a clean-up of the electrical system and the decoratory items like air conditioning, passengers & cargo, finishing the reds and chocks.

-Image 4: The PC-12 also got a proper steerable nose wheel. Using the pedals will turn the nose wheel 12 degrees, while combining pedals and differential braking allows it to free caster up to 60 degrees off centre.

16 Likes

After a couple of weeks of silence, here is a bit of progress on the PC-12.

The electrical system is now functioning properly, and we are gradually connecting gauges, lights and under-the-hood systems with it. This is the last big piece of “aircraft” development, before doing the cosmetic things like visors and cargo. We want to go a little deeper with some cosmetics, as they really make the plane feel more alive. Still, we will soon ask you for some input to better distribute our time.

On to the images

The interior textures are at the 90% mark and the plane is finally looking the part. Bonus points if you can see the AoA vane moving.

On the gauges front, the EADI is done and soon the EHSI too. In the cockpit pictures you can see a combined ARC & ROSE version of the EHSI which we use for debugging and making sure they work consistently with each other. The AP Altitude selector and clock are the last complex instruments we need to make, although not nearly as difficult as the EFIS50 set. We are putting time in them as we want to ensure they work smoothly, but can also be used easily into our other upcoming aircraft that use the set, such as the TBM850.

Night lighting is gradually going into the aircraft. In this picture, you can see the cockpit floodlights illuminating the panel. Trivia: after a lot of searching, we only discovered their real location on Friday!

Except for a couple of quirks, the exterior lighting of the aircraft is complete.

19 Likes

Looking great! Can’t wait to add this to my hanger.

New update for this weekend below, so as not to leave the topic content I will post here only about the PC-12, but on our facebook and discord we have a lot of new information about the RV-10/14, Okavango and a statement about FS2024 see all in the link below:

}
We now have one full set of PC-12 interior textures in our hands. We will be constantly refining and improving them until release, but you can get an idea of what our PC-12 cockpit will look like here!

The cabin has also received its first set of textures. It can be deemed complete. In the interest of customization we have some more work to do, which will allow us to completely refurbish the entire cabin’s look just by changing a few small textures. This has already been achieved to a big extent. This is a big advantage for repainters, as customizing the cabin and parts of the cockpit is as easy as replacing some 512px textures. Our cabin siding can already be different across aircraft without us bloating the package with huge 4k textures for every livery. If you compare the cabin the previous update vs today’s you will see it is has a completely different kind of wood and carpet. The package has grown about 8.66MB in total for that second cabin.

You may want to close that window.

On the exterior front we did a final cleanup of the model. We added many missing details, corrected placements for a lot of items and remodelled and animated the flap actuators. The exterior is in the process of getting one more final pass, to be completed end of this month.

21 Likes

Another weekend update on our PC-12 development, but with more text up-front.

A few weeks back, we talked about how we are going to break the PC-12 into two major packs to facilitate our development pace. In particular, the 5-bladed variant and commuter version were planned to release as a free update to the base aircraft later down the road. That is no longer the case – all three models, commuter, cargo and executive will be available in the initial release!

Additionally, we have further refined the flight model and particularly the flap behavior. You can now fly into the airport in a steep nose-down approach attitude that is very close to the real one. Unfortunately, we can’t match the plane’s pitch behavior during deployment of the flaps due to the flight model lacking sufficient control, but we have the approach right which is utilitarian.

Last but not least some systems were completed. The pressurization system works properly in both automatic and manual mode. In the latter, you will directly control the pressurization of the cabin yourself, so make sure you keep an eye on the gauges to not hurt your ears! Another completed system are the de-icing boots, which will move in the correct sequence and timings. Every day that passes, we are constantly refining our systems work and moving closer to the finish line.

The 5-Bladed propeller will be in version 1.0 of the SWS PC-12, complete with its own flight dynamics.

A view of the empty cargo cabin of the PC-12. You can also see the different wall and carpet styling, which increase the total hard drive requirement by about 10MB. Expect to see it loaded with cargo in the coming weeks.

The de-icing boots are activating in the correct sequence and actually inflating in the game. We will work on custom icing for the aircraft after systems are completed.

26 Likes

Looking great so far! Now I have to decide if I’ll get this or the m500.
I’ll probably get the PC12 instead :+1:

If I decide to get the M500 I know I’ll still end flying the PC12 a lot more :wink:

Why not both :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s the spirit :grin:

Another update on our PC-12 and about time we can say that we finished something! The exterior is finally done for good. We have finished placing all different types of screws and rivets and the placement of most stencils. Next week we will finalise the interior, finalise any last details and correct any issues reported by our team. We aim to have the cockpit wrapped up by next weekend so we can start showing the final visuals after!

Before we take you to the pictures, we would like to share with you a link (Trello) to a public roadmap for our PC-12/47. While it is greatly simplified compared to what’s happening behind the scenes, it can give you an idea of what to expect and when it’s coming. We will be filling it up with more information as we can make it available.

On to the pics!

Many of you will know Tradewind from watching PC-12 videos flying around the Carribean! We have acquired permission from Tradewind to paint their liveries on our PC-12 and this repaint of N881TW will be included in the release with a commuter interior.

The basic commuter interior is assembled and next week we will finish refining the cockpit and cabin to a level suitable for release.

While we didn’t get to fly in this particular aircraft operated by Fly7, you can understand why it is the favourite scheme of the developement team!

The rivets on the PC-12 are so clean that they are very hard to notice even from up-close. A testament to its superb engineering and finish, finding them on the real aircraft was extremely hard. Regardless, we were able to get an accurate layout of the riveting pattern and represent it in our MSFS rendition. In the screenshots the pillowing effect is exaggerated for checking, we will tone it down for release. A warning to rivet counters: we know how many, you don’t.

That’s all for this week, see you in the next update

10 Likes

Don’t like that staged release at all. Will wait until the release of the high fidelity pack at least - if I have not lost interest until then.

Well I have to stop myself from buying the existing PC-12 on a semi-regular basis, so I’ll be picking this up at release as long as no sneaky bugs find their way into the release. It’s looking great.