Sky4sim virtual iPad (maps, frequencies, weather, pdf viewer and more)

That does sound like one of the issues I mentioned above. On the secondary Windows machine, if you open the web browser’s developer tools, refresh and check both the networking tab and console you may catch what the error is.

1 Like

You are correct there is an error id developer more (Firefox) with a hint-
“Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at http: // 127.0.0.1:18085/filtersLoad. (Reason: CORS request did not succeed). Status code: (null).”

Sercurity? Possibly bing API code only authorised for use on one localhost? Or hard coded 127.0.0.1:18085?

EDIT, I have sky4sim still installed on my laptop (which I now don’t run FS on any more) and I launched it to get around any local host path error, so now I get filters loaded and a blue aircraft icon/arrow, but no maps.
In Firefox now I’m getting the error -
“Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at http :// 127.0.0.1:18085/getMapMode. (Reason: CORS header ‘Access-Control-Allow-Origin’ missing). Status code: 404.”

So it looks like a pathing problem as it keeps trying for 127.0.0.1, but who knows.

EDIT: I also tried a redirector plugin for firefox to redirect 127.0.0.1:18085 → myfspcwebhost.lan:18085

No joy though.

There’s a CORS error explanation here-

I’m sure the dev could fix this though if Bing maps API license considerations aren’t the issue.

Addition, expanded the dev mode error window. The CORS error seem to also go back to sky4sim website as it check version. I don’t know. Questions for the developer for these types of issues I think.

Yeah, you would need to check with the developer on that. The app needs to inject a CORS option in it’s headers.

I’m not sure about what web server is being used. I suspect it’s Kestrel as I think it’s a .net app.

1 Like

Agree. Thing is it’s not me who’s desperate for this functionality, I was really just exercising my inner geek curiosity (I used to be in engineering software support in a previous life). I am happy using sky4sim in game, but it would be a nice option to have the ability to run in externally on a tablet, and even marketable (for the dev) as other people seem to want this. From what I’ve looked at it surely isn’t that far away though.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll probably be taking a look at it later when I get the chance.

The whole cores piece is just the web browser trying to prevent a hack by not allowing the data to be sent to a domain it didn’t originate from. There is plenty or legit reasons for doing cross domain, so the server side has to say it’s okay for other domains.

I’m a Software Architect, so I get curious about it too. I haven’t gone on an architectural dive of MFFS yet but it’s interesting how much responsive web design is incorporated in the platform. But I like to leave work behind and just enjoy the flying.

2 Likes

Hi @Zeppos @BragRaindrop933 @GigantPetz

It appears that we can actually load image files to the pad - instead of clicking PDF files upload, click “open and manage documents folder” at the bottom (or browse to it in windows explorer). The image files must be placed inside a folder here, and that will group them as if they were a pdf inside the pad. For example :
Sky4sim pad / msfspad / documents / myvfrroute / image.png

One quirk seems to be that the “png” or “jpg” in the file name needs to be lower case to be recognised.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m buying this thing asap.

One annoying thing I’m still finding is there is that sky4sim seems to still be omitting some nav beacons it would seem. The latest I’ve found after the most recent update is Edinburgh EGPH’s main eastern NDB EDN. It’s used a lot too, and is in MSFS and I can tune in to it. It was visible in sky4sim before but not any more for me. I also tried re-generating the nav database.
Edinburgh’s other NDB UW (to the west) shows up fine. How many more beacons might we be missing in the map though and why?

I’m going to guess now some of these issues might be realted to bugs in the import.

Some of my developers always, without fail, forget to make their comparisons case insensitive. They’ll then argue with me that J and j are not the same things.

Just a thought given the case sensitivity on image imports mentioned above, lol. But it takes slightly more developer effort. It’s about 2 seconds of effort. But developers have a crazy workload too.

1 Like

It used to show, so something changed. V1.2.1 did arrive, but I haven’t done GA navigation in this location in a couple of weeks. There has been WU7 since and I’m not running SU8 beta so it’s not that. Could be a case issue with import though like you suggest, who knows, it’s annoying though if you’re using it as the only source of finding nav beacons and you don’t know the area, you will never know. Previously I had only seen one or two paid for airports not showing but they do show now.
I also checked in the world map flight planner just in case and EDN displays fine in it.:man_shrugging:
Is there a way to delete the nav data base in sky4sim and start over. Would be good to know that when I regen it, that it is actually creating/saving a new file. I’ll see if I can find out where it’s stored.

I’ve started getting that stutter mentioned above with adjusting the zoom and pan of the map. It made it almost unusable.

I also have some difficulty now pulling up airport details without adding in a bunch of accidental waypoints.

A nearby airport list or airports along route option would help with the fussy clicking.

I have been using this for a while and all is great. Loved the functionality. Interestingly had a problem yesterday that when I used in in VR with the spitfire the throttle, prop and mixture levers became unresponsive as did ATC. The moment I closed Sky4sim they all worked again. replicated this 3 times.

Did get chance to try other planes. Anyone else had this?

Josh

Yes, this is a known MSFS bug where having mouse over any toolbar window (not just sky4sim) stops other controls working. It is hoped to be fixed for SU8

Yes, my honeycomb buttons do not work reliably when open.

Are you really running McAfee firewall on your MSFS computer? It seems a very strange idea to me.

Yes, but why is it strange? Scans are disabled during game play anyway. Game mode set to on. I have had no issues.

This happens when S4S (or navigraph, or the GTN etc etc) is the active window. Just click somewhere outside the ipad to give focus back to the cockpit and everything will work quite happily with S4S open.

G.

Awesome app but I would like to see two things added to the tablet, 1) internet browser so I could look up information about something I fly over while in VR, 2) a way to play music files off my computer.

The Dev of this app was active in this thread early on and hinted at an MP3 Player, an internet beer may be more hard work though not impossible.