Slider to adjust/disable the scenery culling (reduce panning pop-in and stutters)

You are correct, I think it may have to do with the fact that the trees seem to be loading in more quickly than other assets (like photogrammetry tiles), and also the panning speed was extremely slow.

Sometimes though they do show us some things that just look completely different to what we’re getting. They were showing the terrain grid system with wireframe enabled in an earlier Q&A, and there was none of the morphing that’s been plaguing the simulator for a long while. So bizarre.

Completely agree. I think some people forgot that tons of PC users have been asking for better performance since launch, and the amount of those who kept calling the engine “unoptimised garbage” because it was CPU-, RAM- and I/O-bound wasn’t small.

The culling was necessary to improve performance, especially on low-end systems, but maybe the implementation is not as good as it can be. It is fairly common in AAA games, even Flight Simulator X had it, but usually there’s little to no panning redraw and no frame drops. I’m very interested in hearing more from the developers regarding this implementation, what could be done to further improve it, and whether a slider as described in this request could be delivered.

Yep, Jayne also said in other threads that she’s aware it’s a big deal, and she will try to bring us some information from the developers since it will be a while until the next Q&A.

3 Likes