since I was so annoyed by the default nameplates in the game, I tweaked them a little and made a tiny package if you like to try it out yourself.
The target was to make the nameplates less obstructive but still contain all the data.
What I changed:
- Reduced the size to about a half
- Font is changed to a more readable one
- Removed useless margins
- No more dark background square (except for original and v2 version)
- A thin white shine around the text makes it readable at night
v2 version also includes
- Letter spacing on the name to make it more readable
- dark background but reduced to width of name and rounded corners
- Disabled display of aircraft type and origin airport, so only altitude is shown if provided by the sim
Feedback is welcome, hope you like it.
By the way, I’ve seen there are placeholders for aircraft speed in the sources, but I did not yet manage to get the speed to be displayed. That would be nice for multiplayer flights…
The download with instructions, preview screenshots for the variants and possibility to contribute can be found on github:
NOTE: If after a MSFS patch has been installed you do not see this (or other) mod, try restarting MSFS since it seems only to pick up the Community folder with a delay.
With version v2.1 this mod is compatible with the mod “uimod-mugz-hiddenui” which you can download here: [UIMOD] uimod-mugz-hiddenui
Note that you may not use “uimod-mugz-tinyplates” at the same time as this mod since they both change the appearance of the nameplates. Pick one of mine or the tinyplates one from UIMOD.
The mod still works standalone as well, so UIMOD is not required for it to work.