Snow Cover or No Snow Cover

Good question. Could be tied to the snow depth. I like the feature but I think it‘s slightly overdone. Where I live rivers rarely freeze, let alone whole lakes. In the sim it looks as if we had a new ice age.

In my case, I have a cabin beside a frozen lake - I see the snow in live weather (when I see the snow…) but the lake is never frozen. I did a flight up north Quebec and there even with snow everywhere (as it should) lakes were mostly not frozen (not as it should…)

That‘s strange. So perhaps it’s not connected to snow depth. This is what it looked like last week in Switzerland. Althought there’s not that much snow, which was realistic according to the Meteoblue weather map, one lake is completely frozen and the other one partly. I‘ve been to this area regularly for 40 years as we have a chalet there and I‘ve never seen it like that. The last time these lakes were completely frozen was in 1962.

Here is another example. In the Detroit area on 1/25 the snow storm started around 5am. Even up to today we have around 3" of snow on the ground. Attached shows the sim, as of 1/27 and the current Meteoblue snow depth. The aircraft is half way between Brighton Township and Pontiac. Here is also the current reported Metar for KPTK
METAR: KPTK 272253Z 33008KT 10SM FEW033 FEW250 M07/M13 A3029 RMK AO2 SLP274 T10671133

Hi All,
In solution mode : Is there someone familiar with the SDK to say if a mod could correct the situation ? For example, extend the limit of frozen lakes to XX latitude in Europe, XX Latitude in North Americas, etc.
I don’t know for snow but maybe there is a tweek possible to put snow at a different & more sensible trigger.

In our case (Northeastern Canada) it is the contrary : ice should be much more present. It is like if climate change have done the promise. Actualy, ice should be present 1000 km more south from what it is in the sim.

1 Like

There is currently a snow storm on the East coast of the US. I f I choose Real Weather in the sim I can not get any snow. If I change the weather to snow I get snow. But changing it back to Real Weather the snow stops. Can anyone else get snow in the NYC area right now? I tried starting at KEWR and KJFK. I get clouds but no snow. Just for grins I started up FS9 and loaded my 3rd party weather program. There is snow depicted.

There’s something inconsistent with the live weather to depict snow. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t. It depends on how the sim interprets the ground snow effect.

If they get it straight from the live weather data, then there’s something wrong with the datasource. Or maybe it’s not getting the ground snow data it’s needed.

But if the sim “interprets” the ground snow based on the available data that they get, then it’s also a possibility than the weather simulations doesn’t seem to warrant the existence of ground snow based on the humidity, temperature, etc etc.

That being said, I know some places where I get ground snow on live weather. While there are other places where I don’t get it.

I’d like to know why my topic was moved from where I posted it in the weather bugs forum? I am not talking about snow cover on the ground. I am talking about it not snowing at all (As in no snowfall) in the sim. Moving topics around when I’m trying to solve an issue is extremely frustrating. I typed out a large reply and tried to post it. Now it’s gone because someone moved my post.

The game treats the snow through the same mechanism as rain. The only thing that differs between the two is depending on the temperature. If it’s lower than 0 degrees C, the rain becomes snow. If it’s above, it’s raining water.

But my point still stands though, if the live data isn’t feeding the sim with the right data type, it would misinterpret it.

2 Likes

The first picture the is the real weather here, the second pic is a nearby airport KBOS, of course the live weather is on, because the altimeter is 29.80…

1 Like

Aren’t there snow on the ground just around those buildings in the background?
What if you switch to custom weather preset and add the snow coverage yourself, does the apron gets covered as well?

I know that some ground textures don’t get covered by snow no matter how much snow you set the slider at. Something like a taxiway being maintained to be free of snow at all times. But some taxiway textures do get covered by snow.

1 Like

I have noticed that as well. Especially many 3rd party airports that use custom textures do not have snow coverage from my experience.

The first pic didn’t show the falling snow, actually we were in a snow storm. The 2nd picture showed clear sky at the same time… There are some white patches on the ground, but it was way off…

Looks like the good ol’ live weather bug. I’d say just use the snow weather preset if you want to fly with full snow for now. There’s nothing we can do but wait until they fixed it.

Hi All,

This morning took a short flight in Cornwall UK, in the snow. Everything looked OK on the land, BUT, the sea was white white white. Of course it should have been blue, except if the Bristol Channel and Atlantic has frozen up.

Program needs a little tweaking methinks.

Romeo Bravo

Please see picture

3 Likes

Looks like a scene from Snowpiercer…

3 Likes

So, I haven’t read this entire thread but it seems to me the problem is that you need to inject over 10cm of snow into FS2020 before it starts showing much. Here in Norfolk, England we’ve probably had a few cm of snow, but less than 10. It’s been enough to cover everything in white for the last few days - but no snow. at all shows up in live weather. According to meteoblue, Essex has had deeper snow and in the. sim, there is a spattering showing.

If you go into manual weather you can see the change to the snow as you increase the depth. I think reducing the depth required before it shows in the sim would help a lot. Is there a config file anywhere where we can change that?

Snowheight visibility at meteoblue

Webcam from Airport EDDL towards Taxiways and Runways

Screenshots from Simulator

Even in the Alps there is no Snow and Meteoblue shows one meter and more of snow

1 Like

Hi,
my A320 was parked overnight at EDLP and there was snow on Tuesday morning in the MSFS.