Snow Cover or No Snow Cover

Hi,

The world actuality tells there is a lot of snow in madrid and the airport is closed! I have tried to go to LEMD madrid with MSFS live weather set on and there was no snow at all!

I add for sure my MSFS has been update with the last updates.

Regards

Snow on the ground is not weather.
If you have a database of snow depths around the world, please tell Microsoft. They don’t have one yet.
If they show the current snow, then it is random: it is winter now, there could be snow. In Madrid it almost never happened.

1 Like

wait until next winter cause they announced snow but like the weather system was bug when the game released this still bug and probably gonna take months to fix

I live next to Madrid Barajas (LEMD), and I can assure you that we have between 40 - 50 cm of snow, the airport is currently closed.

It is true that in MSFS the snow that there is really does not appear, but I made a flight yesterday and I found it snowing in live weather.

Yes exactly for me. I have 2 days fliying in Madrid to see the snow collapse in these days and only appears Rain but not snow signs.

For the moment seems live snow weather doesn’t work how it should.

Direct quote from the 22 Dec update notes:
“- Live Weather is enhanced with Meteo blue data to include snow and ice coverage.”

“Coverage” infers snow/ice on the ground, because “ice” would not be weather by your definition either. Microsoft’s use of “live weather” can be read to mean anything dynamic in sim related to the weather, which can easily be read to include snow/ice on the ground - which is exactly what I read from the above given the data Meteo Blue has.

The Meteo Blue weather maps include accumulated ice and snow coverage (“snow depth” map). Microsoft’s partner has the data, Microsoft has announced the feature naming their partner, but it isn’t shown as per their partner’s maps.

Perhaps you should come back and say with some evidence why you say with such certainty Microsoft doesn’t have this data yet. Because they have said they do.

1 Like

True, but the thread that got merged with this one was not. It was about unusual, heavy snow in Madrid that did not appear in the sim. It was overcast, and rainy, but no snow was present. Trying to bug fix a snapshot in time like that is all but impossible, it merely cites another example of where the sim has differed from reality.

You describe the live weather bug from 2nd flight in the same session of FS2020.
Read the first post in the link below: idea: never select live weather in the world map. Select PRESET, with clear skies, then Fly now, then in the flight, get weather, and in the DROP DOWN list, select live weather. If you stop the flight, start a new one and do the same you will have live weather.
Live weather fix (workaround) - Community / General Discussion - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

yeah…I just landed in madrid with live weather and…no snow at all…

2 Likes

I’ve also flown to Madrid to see that snow that Asobo promised us, but there is nothing on the ground. And yes, the game is fully updated and live weather was working when I took off in Brussels.

I know this is a new feature and it probably isn’t that easy to actually implement it, but then maybe don’t advertise it as working. Or just put it in a beta build until it actually works reliably.

Maybe snow coverage on the ground isn’t measured/reported in areas where there is usually no snowfall to expect? If there is no coverage reported FS2020 won’t display snow on the ground.

Just landed in Madrid where it has practically been non stop snowing for the past two days yet there is no snow cover at all…

1 Like

That would have to be a rather odd way of reporting the weather, only if it meets your expectations. :wink:

I’m kind of disappointed with the snow coverage, I’ve tried so many times since it’s supposed to be live, and it’s almost never right. For example, it was really snowy on the pyrenees this week end, and there is snow since a while above 1000 m, but today in MSFS pyrenees looks like that :

I’ve put the ventusky map in regard, there should be snow everywhere around, but nope, nothing…

In the place I live, we have snow since two weeks, it’s never been displayed in MSFS…

It’s a shame, because in graphically, when the live snow is displayed, it’s clearly the best I’ve seen in any flightsim…

It just need some more accurate datas!

On my two flights in Germany/Switzerland/Austria yesterday and this morning the snow coverage seemed to be quite accurate (well, despite the frozen lakes. Last time they were frozen was in 1963/63).

I’m wondering why Madrid doesn’t have snow. Accroding to the weather map by Meteoblue it actually should have.

For the time being the fix for this is, Load your flight with Live Weather. Save Live Weather , open the saved weather, and just add snow, wind, etc…

But that would explain why there is accurate snow coverage in the alps but not in Spain where usually no snow falls. Why should they spent money for snow sensors if there is never snow?

You’d have to ask the Windy.com staff that, as they were reporting snow 4 hours before my posting earlier.

Not sure how to view that via Meteoblue, but it is certainly showing very cold weather at the moment, and some precipitation.

I’m not talking about snowfall. Just the snow on the ground. Snowfall is reported everywhere. But in warmer regions the snow never stays. So maybe they don’t measure the coverage on the ground? Was flying over south Japan there should have been snow on the ground but it was only snowing. I guess some areas don’t report how thick the layer of snow on the ground is or if there is any at all.

Just my observation…