So I flew X-Plane yesterday

I shall add: a simulator whose official communication is spreading fear among customers and telling 3rd party vendors are going to stole their personal information to justifying sandboxing is unexpected (1). In my opinion, telling the 3rd party vendors are thieves and customers must be protected from them is a fallacious argument and doesn’t send a good message to 3rd party vendors.

I much prefer the original live explanation, where Eric is not only factual (2), but is also honestly giving Asobo’s point of view from a technical standpoint.

I shall also add I feel like there is a large misunderstanding about what 3rd parties are really doing in this business and I believe the lack of communication is certainly contributing to entertaining many misconceptions both sides unfortunately.

(1) the official transcript and the live Q&A video are pretty much similar, except for this specific question: “Can we talk about DLL?”

Live comment:

• DLLs can carry unsafe code and they can’t have unsafe code in add-ons in the Market Place. Sandboxing is good for having safe add-ons in the Microsoft store.
  • Sandboxing is also a good way to port legacy addons in C++

Official transcript:

• When you ship a DLL, you never know what it is going to do! It has access to personal informal information and result in having security issues. Using WASM, we are sure that 3rd party content only accesses designated files!

(2) You can read more about the technicalities I’m explaining here:
SDK Q&A Stream Feedback - #3 by CptLucky8
SDK Q&A Stream Feedback - #8 by CptLucky8

2 Likes