So what's the Best VR headset to use in MFS so far?

I just found this post on a dedicated VR forum weighing up the pros and cons of both the G2 and Quest 2. Its a good informative post made by someone who clearly knows what they’re talking about so I’ve copy and pasted it here. It does made some interesting points. Note it was made before either headset was released.

So as someone who just recently sold their quest, is considering a Quest 2 (here on referred to as Q2) and also has a G2 on pre-order these are my thoughts. Obviously bear in mind that neither has released so pinch of salt required… this is all based on other peoples opinions in previews except where I mention personal experience. It will start with the positives of the G2 over the Q2 and then move on to the reverse so don’t think I’m being overly negative on one over the other:

In favour of G2:

• 2160x2160 vs 1832x1920 is actually 30% more total pixels, so not insignificant. There is also more to the visual experience than pure resolution - you have pixel fill, colour reproduction, brightness, contrast, unwanted effects such as mura or chromatic aberration from the lenses etc… We need to have more direct comparisons of the screens and lenses than just looking at resolution alone. Given the cost targets I would guess G2 to be using higher quality displays and lesnes but that’s pure conjecture at this point and money is no guarantee of quality at the end of the day! We also don’t know how much facebook is eating on each one sold.

• The Q2 from typical reviews has much the same audio quality as Quest 1… in my opinion it was generally usable and convenient but utter trash compared to my experience with the CV1. The G2 has the same drivers as the index that are better even than the CV1 so the built in audio solutions are incomparable. Mods or separate headphones will be required to get up to the G2 level.

• The Q2 from typical reviews is not particularly comfortable with the standard strap. Once you add the Elite strap which most reviews seem to say is a must have, then the comfort seems to exceed the original Quest, but still from the impressions I’ve seen feel comparatively unbalanced and less comfortable than a typical PCVR headset such as Rift/RiftS/Index/G2 etc. They have shaved 10% off the weight of the original quest but ultimately they have to pack a lot more in than a non-standalone, so all that weight is concentrated in the front just like with the original Quest. Even with the significantly beefier head strap and off ear monitors the G2 is lighter and with a better weight distribution.

• The G2 seems to have slightly higher FoV but I doubt it will be noticeable so call that a wash. It does however have more adjustable IPD along with a 2 screen design that will make the full FoV usable for more people, and more comfortable for more people - I’ve seen eg Tyriel mentioning that even though he was within the total IPD range, because he fell in between two of the three IPD settings that he felt a bit of discomfort after extended use and had more chromatic aberration than he would have were he able to set his actual IPD. Individual sensitivity may vary and of course you may be lucky and fall exactly on one of the three fixed settings or close enough not to matter.

• To use the Q2 as a PCVR headset you need to either use Link, or a Wifi streamer such as Virtual desktop which will require sideloading. There is quite noticeable compression on both, but do note the Q2 has the capability to handle much more bandwidth than the Q1 so I would expect this to improve in time… some of that bandwidth will be used in going from 72hz to 90hz, but the rest can be spent on improving image quality. There is also a little introduced latency on both, more so over the wifi options (about 30ms in my experience with a dedicated router connected to the host via ethernet. How it will compare to native such as the G2 remains to be seen, but one thing for sure is it won’t end up better than a native uncompressed stream. Normal USB 3.X cables are also quite heavy, thick and stiff while the G2 has apparently put a lot of work into making its 5m cable thin, flexible and lightweight. The official link cable certainly addresses this point, but at a significant cost.

• No battery to run out

• No need for a facebook account. To some this is a significant factor, for others it’s not a factor at all - make your own choice!

In favour of Q2:

• While it comes at the cost of some some compression and extra latency, I can tell you that for 99% of my PCVR gaming I used the Quest with WiFi rather than plug it in… The freedom of not having a wire out the back of your head cannot be overstated, even seated it is better, especially if playing something that involves a lot of looking around like dogfighting in IL2 or DCS! If you’ve never used a wireless VR headset before you won’t know what you are missing, so it won’t be as big of a deal but man it’s hard to go backwards. Note that this is NOT currently a native quest function but instead requires sideloading a version of Virtual desktop or ALVR for example, and could technically be cut off by Oculus if they removed the ability to sideload or forced the virtual desktop dev to remove it once they bring the sideloading in house as they are planning. I imagine there would be uproar and I don’t expect it to happen but it’s worth mentioning. Carmack allegedly has his own Air-link Using WiFi but politics mean oculus aren’t currently releasing it due to user experience concerns… it may or may not ever see the light of day.

• Oculus software is in my opinion ahead of the curve… ASW and ATW are the best in the industry, passthrough+ is very cool and the guardian setup etc is brilliant. The Quest can do native hand tracking, and do it pretty well. At the moment it’s not a huge deal for me but I would imagine it won’t be long before some sim games allow you to start using both real physical controls and then just your hands to interact with cockpits etc - that would be pretty game changing. I’m sure you’ll see an addon for the G2 but ultimately it will probably come at extra cost unless MS release it built into the WMR stack.

• Oculus insight tracking is basically the gold standard in camera based inside out tracking. The G2 looks to improve on this substantially and WMR tracking is actually supposed to be very good, but I’m sure if you really push it to the extremes then the Quest will end up victorious. The battery life on the Q2 controllers is insane too if you care about that.

• There are some good oculus exclusive VR games currently. You should be able to play these through revive on a G2 but you are adding yet another layer of abstraction inducing performance overheads and occasional bugs/compatibility issues… some games going forward could conceivably be Quest exclusive given Oculus now have no dedicated PCVR headset in production. If this does occur and they are only found in the mobile store there will be no way to play these on the G2.

• The ability to play standalone is pretty cool. I’m primarily a PCVR sim racer/flier, but the ability to just use the quest anywhere was definitely a plus point for the other types of games - things like beatsaber, pistol whipped etc were great to just be able to use in the living room with lots of space. Exercise in VR is definitely more fun without the wire or need to be in the same room as a PC.

• Price. Clearly the Q2, even if you say everyone needs the elite strap, is a blinking bargain!

So overall I would say it really depends what you do. Both have some pretty clear advantages in my opinon… The best headset for Sim gaming and seated VR? Without a doubt it’ll be the G2 even with the wire. Best general purpose headset? Has to be the Quest 2 in my opinion just due to how flexible it is and the value for money.

I think in a perfect world the answer is get both. If that isn’t an option then you need to think about where your priorities lie - what do you spend most of your VR time doing? Would you benefit most from having the absolute best highest quality visual and audio experience with comfort for long gaming sessions, or would you prefer to trade some of that for features, flexibility and cost savings? Is the Facebook data mining and account blocking policy a deal breaker or not?

2 Likes

Well i got both its just BH&Video didn’t delivered as promise. I order the G2 and it was suppose to be ship with in 3 business days. I contacted them and they told me the shipping system created and error and they are actually waiting for a backorder. So i went ahead and got the quest 2 and the G2. Someone here also been waiting on a backorder from mid December for the G2. So who knows how long it will take to get my G2. So in the mean time i bought the Quest 2 while i wait for my G2 to be ship.

Yea I’ve been looking all day long and absolutely everything is sold out again. Seeing the new posts it would seem the HP G2 would be the winner but I do wonder if 1. In time could the tracking be improved as it seems like this is the weakest area, and 2. Would there be any path for the FOV to be extended. Maybe these two issues have been addressed earlier but they are the only things holding me back from pulling the trigger on the G2 instead of just settling for the Quest 2. My main use would be for sit down simulation games but I would like the functionality in a headset to enable me to use it for situations where A. Tracking would be a priority and B. A better FOV would make for a much improved experience.

Probably going to end up coming down to whichever comes in stock first for retail price though. 2021 is already off to a ■■■■■■ start!

I’ve never tried VR before . This will be my first experience with VR. Don’t know what to expect with the Quest 2. Reading some of you guys comments on the Quest 2, it looks like its good choice to try VR for the first time. Don’t know when my G2 will be ship but i hope i can get a good VR first impression with the Quest 2.

I believe you need to enable the console and type some commands in in order to force ASW with the Debug Tool.

The Oculus Tray Tool has a dropdown for it in the general and custom game profile areas.

Wouldn’t it be better to compare the dedicated PC headset (Rift S) to the G2?

Okay I will download the tray tool!

Make sure to reset everything to what was default on the Debug Tool - SS should be at 0 I believe.

No because the Quest 2 is a dedicated PC headset if you want it to be and the Rift 2 is being discontinued. Its an old headset now and the Quest 2 is technically superior. The Quest 2 and G2 were released at broadly the same time and are clearly going to be the two which are in competition with each other.

Mine just came in, got to go pick up some Velcro and give this a try.

@ MLTAVIATOR99

You internet speed has nothing to do with the speed from your VR Ready PC through your 5 Ghz router to your Quest2. However, to get the best wireless performance for your Quest 2 so that you have minimal latency and highest quality image, you might want to add a second router ($80USD or so) so that no other users (inside your house or nearby neighbors) or wireless gadgets are interfering with your Quest2 - and you need to make sure you are using 1Gbps or better wired connections ($8USD) between your router and your VRready PC.

I’m not fortunate enough that where i live the fastest internet is 50Mbps. I pay 110USD for this internet and its the fastest here locally. So would 50Mbps be enough through 5G router?

@FlightSim340, as @whitav8 said in the post right above, your internet speed has nothing to do with using the Q2 wirelessly with your PC. So, as long as you can connect with your router at 5Ghz and you don’t have too much other wifi activity going on, you’ll be fine.

By the way, in another thread, a Q2 user pointed out to me that a certain annoying visual distortion happens only when they use link (the cable). They say it doesn’t happen when the connect via virtual desktop (wirelessly). You certainly don’t want any extra weird nausea inducing artifacts when trying VR for the first time! Speaking of which, make sure you work into it slowly, with short sessions. Don’t jump right into MSFS and make sure you take a break if you feel queasy! You’ll get more and more used to it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you, the VR community for MFS is very friendly and welcoming. Didn’t expect anyone to take some time to point out the good and the bad in a friendly manner.

2 Likes

I love my reverb pro. I retired the rift and Samsung. Not sure what people think of the index. I haven’t tried it yet but I really like inside out tracking seated simming.

I find the following post on reddit interesting and this pretty much sums up what I also think about the G2 vs Index question:

For sure I will give it a try today, any recommended settings for the quest 2? Whether in game resolution and such

Settings should be the same for the Rift S that I gave above.

Or do you mean settings within MSFS itself?

Yeah within fs2020 , just like the resolution not the whole thing I assume 100 percent render scale in game ?

Blockquote
Is it true using VR makes your brain think you are actually flying?

Not really, but it’s better than a flat screen. I’m a student pilot at the moment, flying a C150 mostly in training. I’ve been simming all my life and so I have a ton of head knowledge, but what has always been missing for me is the feel. The feel of the bumps, the wind gusts, the plane slipping or skidding.

I recently made the move to VR (when I can borrow the Rift S that we got my son for Christmas) and it is astounding. I cannot believe how much better it makes the flight simulation experience. But it’s still missing the feelings. I’ll be flying tomorrow afternoon…sunny with 5-10mph winds with lots of little bumps due to gusts and ground warming in north Texas. As much as I love the VR experience, it doesn’t help with that. But it does give me a MUCH better feel for how things should look (and even sound). It helps with setting up approaches and tracking my landing target. And it’s even helped with working on side slips because I can get better look at how the plane is moving (both because of 3D effects and being able to quickly glance).

So, I started off with a negative response…no it doesn’t make your brain think it’s flying (at least it doesn’t mine, but I am in real planes fairly often). But it’s about as close as you can get while sitting at a desk.

If I hadn’t just bought a new aviation headset, I’d be tempted to look into getting another VR headset so I didn’t have to share with my son. To me, it’s a worthwhile investment.

1 Like