So when are the videos that have been showcased going to show up in Sim?

They explained this in their first Q&A in August. Whether you can see the underwater imagery depends on the depth of the water. If it’s shallow, you can see the bottom (i.e. the Bing Maps imagery below). if it’s deep, you only see the water textures. The problem is that Bing‘s underwater imagery is rubbish in many places. In order to hide this, they had to lower the underwater terrain relatively close to the water‘s edge so we can only see water and not the ugly imagery. They did this globally, I guess by use of an algorithm. The downside is that this way not only the ugly imagery is hidden but also the nice parts. In order to show the nice imagery, they have to manually exclude these areas from this „terrain lowering“ so that we can see the imagery below. Since they have to do this manually, it takes a lot of time.
For their promo videos they probably deactivated the global terrain lowering so that we can see all those beautiful shallow waters. What we see in the videos is the „raw version“ so to speak, in which water bodies look exactly like in Bing Maps, with all its flaws. They obviously only show places that look good. They don‘t withhold those beautiful places from us, they‘re just not done yet. That‘s at least how I understood it.
I hope this makes sense. Not that easy to explain this in a foreign language😅

3 Likes

Not sure how to help you if that doesn’t make it clear the issue is about the water. Not to mention, speedwoblz and myself have been here for almost a year and have played Multiplayer and we are both on the same page about the issue with the water.

2 Likes

Not really understanding the point of this thread or what OP is asking for.

Perhaps I need to get an academic degree in Communications and Hydrology?

OP and his fans ask for evidence of “lovely” water in the trailer video.

I post pics of “lovely” water taken by MSFS customers.

OP accuses me of purposefully misleading him and his fans, even though in the same reply he admits the pics of “lovely” water I referred to in my reply looks “lovely”.

Also, here’s a Windows XP advert:

After installing XP a decade ago, I discovered, much to my surprise, that the flying, soaring humans advertised in the trailer were not available in the software.

2 Likes

Great video, but can’t get over how dated it looks!

I think much depends on how you read that sentence. I read it as (brackets are my insertion):

[the North America upgrade] and [the Oceania upgrade with all that lovely Water]

i.e. two separate things, only one of which involved water. Hence I posted my video showing that I can recreate the North American video to a large extent and with an outcome that looks just as good, and therefore answering the question posed in the thread title.

Speaking of which, the title reads:

“So when are the videos that have been showcased going to show up in Sim?”

Note the lack of reference to water. Hence my post was reasonable on two counts:

1. It showed my version of the North America video, explicitly referenced in the OP
  2. It showed that the videos that have been showcased are not in fact upgrades or forthcoming attractions, but actually exist today, in direct response to the thread title.

You obviously read it another way.

2 Likes

Then you clearly bought the wrong one buddy XD

1 Like

Comprehension is KEY in reading and learning.

Interesting post that gets emailed directly to me even though you deleted it.

For the record - genuinely I read the post the way I did. I made no accusations about anyone.

Great vid ! Where is the place at 2:22 ?

Been in marketing all my life and once used an advertising agency who’s motto was:

THE TRUTH WELL TOLD

What is in the videos kinda fall under this heading I think.

Thank you. It’s Glacier National Park, Montana. I’d never flown there until I made this video. You can see the official version at 1:19 in the North America video here (I’m not good enough at making videos to know how to add the captions I’m afraid!)

1 Like

Oh no! I’ve been outsmarted. :roll_eyes:

Well the point was I decided to disengage from it publicly as you kids were pushing a nonsense narrative that did not stick to the Truth of the OP…

The marketed videos NA/Oceania are not in game yet and for some reason some felt it necessary to argue a different matter altogether.

I had no accusations, only a question as to when it would be released, but for some reason it turned into yet another forum flex-fest.