Solid New York City Bridges?

When are Asobo going to fix all these ‘solid’ New York City Bridges? 2 RFK Bridges, Hell Gate Bridge, Roosevelt Island Bridge, Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge with road traffic flying over? Plus more bridges. I have visited New York a few times and have been over some of these bridges. Such a let down with the New York city scenery in FS.

Do you mean they aren’t solid and they should be? I’ve yet to see a bridge anywhere in the world where the road traffic runs on the surface of the bridge, they all go under the bridges across the surface of the water and its sim wide as far as i can tell.

They acknowledged the issue andmentioned in a recent developer stream that they want to fix all the bridges in the world that can be flown under, basically. In the meantime, the RKBridger NY Bridges pack is well worth it for beautifully modeled, well-lit bridges for the entire NYC area.

2 Likes

I think what he means is this:
AFAIK most bridges are modeled in a very simple way. They look as if wrapped with textures in a sort of Christo style :wink: Only few bridges are detailed (with a visible ‘explicit structure’). I mentioned that a few times in the past (e.g. concerning St. Louis) to the support, but no reaction so far :frowning:
The road traffic sometimes is really funny indeed…

1 Like

Hello,
This issue is not local to New York City. This happens wherever there is photogrammetry. The team is hand-fixing them. It has been addressed in the last two developer streams:

5 Likes

What I mean by solid is the underside space of bridge does not exist. It is just a solid textured block going down to the water level. And any road traffic are just flying above the block. We can not expect every bridge in the world to be modelled, but major very popular cities like New York should be, even if it is a simple textured block, but at least space between the underside and the water.

1 Like

I see that Samscene 3D do a New York City Times scenery update, and the Ed Koch Queenboro bridge is included, not sure about the other bridges. However, their New York scenery looks very impressive, so I will probably get this. as I am fond of NYC.

Where do I find this ‘RKBridger NY Bridges’ pack.

I think it’s on the Marketplace, but not sure. I bought it on SimMarket.

Personal Comments and Observations

It would require handcrafting each bridge, and it still won’t fix the AI Ground Traffic (note the Sunshine Skyway in Western Florida has been handcrafted since USA World Update 1 and car traffic still travels UNDER it following the terrain paint of the bridge’s silhouette from the satellite photo/Bing Map terrain).

BlackShark.ai can’t tell easily or at all if the object has a void underneath it since it’s mostly dealing with overhead satellite data and OSM height information. Most commercial satellite maps/data are overheads, not obliques (that’s more a specialty/military characteristic), so it’s really a matter of what data is available in volume and can be programatically ingested and manipulated with as little manual intervention as possible given the sheer number of bridges in the world.

Notably FSX didn’t have that many bridges either and eventually relied upon third-party as well for certain famous POIs.

4 Likes

rkbridger packages are available at the Marketplace and simMarket. They cover bridges in: New York City, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Louisville, St Louis, Minneapolis St Paul, Mississippi River south to New Orleans, Vancouver, Oregon South Coast. 10 of the packages are on the Marketplace and 3 waiting release. All are available at SimMarket.

Thanks for all replies. As I am fond of NYC, I will get the Samscene3D for NYC and also the RKBridger bridges. RKBridger has a download which does not conflict with the Samscene3D bridges. Look forward to that. New York, San Francisco, Paris and of course London are my favorite cities for flying around. All the best to all.

Don’t they have this Scenery Gateway on the way? Once that becomes implemented it should be rather easy for the community to fix as many bridges as they want. I assume for Asobo even selecting those cities to fix would be a nightmare, there are more important cities in the world than New York. I would have wished that the two US world updates had taken care of these things but obviously they haven’t. Maybe a “City Update” would… but again, there are more cities than possible city updates in a reasonable time.

In its first iteration unfortunatly, the Scenery gateway is for airports only - so no tweaks and fixes for general scenery. It will also not be possible to introduce your own 3D models. So the upcoming scenery gateway does not help at all with this issue… :man_shrugging:

baaah… so it’ll once again miss the point of the whole thing…

There are MANY smaller local, regional, national and even international airports that still have mislabeled taxiways, missing ramp areas or terminal wings, and in at least a couple of cases, entire missing runways. In most cases the missing parts with stock autogen airports can be fixed well enough to get by using stock assets. Combined with creating missing runways and renumbering taxiways, etc., that will still be a massive improvement over whatever autogenerated stuff the sim comes up with using 5-7 year old satellite imagery. There’s no need to add new models for these purposes.

If you do want to go as far as adding your own models, fine. Release it through the usual channel.

2 Likes

The whole point of this is that these world fixes don’t have to go as thousands of seperate downloads for every building that’s messed up by the AI. Of course airports need fixes but that’s a “, too”, not an “or”. Also regarding XBox and their lack of access to the usual channel. But as always, let’s hope that it will be added “later”.

Hi,
That’s iteration #1 of the gateway (or as it’s probably going to be called, the World Hub). I don’t know the full timeline for the World Hub, but I imagine that it will be a multi-step thing the same way DirectX 12 or CFD is.
I recommend leaving your feedback in the main topic for this so that your comments don’t get missed.

@drrybuoytoo , am I correct that if ExceededBull193 wants to buy SamScene3D’s New York City Times and your RKBridger product for New York that they should buy the bridges on simMarket and not in the Marketplace? (Context for everyone else: SamScene3D did a few extra bridges that overlap with the RKBridger version. RKBridger made a SamScene3D-compatible version, but unfortunately, as I understand it, you can only get the compatible one on simMarket because the Marketplace will only allow one version of the product.)

1 Like

Yes, that’s correct.

1 Like