Solution for Stutters & Pauses (updated for SU5)

When MSFS freezes it literally also causes my pc to freeze but I doubt it’s due to my ram as it’s not even a year old and I got it durning September 2020.

these pauses are realy strange. It is, in my opinion, different topic as “Stutters” ( as mentioned )

I seen such a pause only two times and only a short second. It happend at ground / airport while last step to go to parking position.
( i8700k/64GIG RAM/2080TI/cache file 30Gig )

Not sure about the reason. I assume it is not a system issue, possible more because a “multiplayer / online” feature. But not sure. I will deactivate for a while the rolling cache, and check whether I see a pause again ( but it is sooooo rare in my case ).

I hope devs noticed this “pauses”, at least for users for which it happens often, and that the issue is not lost within the big category “performance, stutters,…” :slight_smile:

after all this time this is my face -_- yes it worked thxs for sharing prob should have used my brain to see what the problem was at first

I tried setting TdrDelay to 10 and made no difference. I am going to try getting some better timings on how often the issue occurs. Other items on my list to try: Disabling fullscreen optimizations, moving rolling cache to HDD, running steam -nobrowser.

It does not appear to be related to scenery download. It has happened on the Alaska Bush tour, other rural ares, in medium sized cities, large cities. I’ve done 4 touch and goes in a row at the same airport and had it happen multiple times during that session, and had it when flying in a manually cached area only. It has happened on all aircraft, I’ve tried at least 5 different ones (Cub Crafter X up to A320).

1 Like

Unfortunately just tested the new UK release/build, and the freezing/lock-up still occurs over Melbourne. Unbelievable. Just so disappointing given that pre-VR build it wasn’t freezing up like this. It’s just not fun anymore so I guess I need to take another month long break and play something else…

yup for me too!
I’d love to know why this happens

1 Like

and I’ve tried EVERYTHING. From RAM speed changes, reinstall Windows, with and without cache running, with and without online functionality, low graphics, high graphics, you name it. Just so disappointing…not even angry anymore, just sad how broken this game still is.

1 Like

I did have not one freeze … stutter … or ctd since day one.

Uk patch … freezes all over the place :-1:

3 Likes

For me it’s Freeze, unfreeze in milliseconds more or less on the Display. Especially during landing while I’m on the final. All of my Drivers are up to date. The hardware is ok. I ran the scan for virus’s etc none were found. I believe this is a Windows 10 background apps or services issue because this happens on other games and on my desktop. I’ve turned off almost 90% of my notifications and it did improve it although it still occurs.

1 Like

Some hopefully useful news. I noticed my system managed page file (I have 16Gb 3200 ram) was quite low in size. Although it didn’t appear I was capping out my physical ram, I decided to nevertheless bump up my page file size to 15Gb min and 20Gb max. Just tried a Melbourne flight from Essendon to Moorabbin and didn’t have any freezes. Hopefully that stays the case but it might be worth bumping up your page file and see if the freezes go away (still getting microstutters from time to time but I can live with these compared to 3 to 5 second freezes!)

I have no issue with that flight path as well

Try flying over Melbourne city centre, over footy park; that’s when I see the issue

I voted for this as after the last patch, I was having the same issue that only appeared since the patch. Th game would pause pretty often randomly on most flights and while not unplayable, it was the opposite of enjoyable and I couldn’t find a rime or reason for it.

Fast forward a few days to today, and I decided to just do a complete game reinstall. This is the Steam install so I uninstalled and manually deleted both the Steam install location, and the AppData\Roaming location manually after uninstalling the game in Steam. (Also always backup your Input folder from the install location to save your controller maps first…)

Anyway, after redownloading the entire game again, both the lags were gone, and my Live Weather issue where it only works correctly on the first flight, was fixed.

Cannot comment on the Windows Store version of the game, but if you have the Steam version and have the bandwidth to do it and have not yet uninstalled and MANUALLY removed the remaining bits, it may be worth another try after the latest patch.

I thought I give it a try and re-installed MS 2020 (steam version). It didn’t solve my stutters.

1 Like

Just to be sure, when you say you Re-Installed your Steam version, you uninstalled with Steam, and then manually removed EVERYTHING from both the install Directory that Steam installs to, and where you installed all the content within MSFS 2020 when it first launches? (AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator) <The normal defailt?

I have had this exact problem, most notably since the US update (the one before last), but it got substantially worse with the latest UK update, for some reason, instead of getting better.

I’ve gotten no response at all from Zendesk, so I’m hanging in the breeze like you are as well. Frustrated.

1 Like

THose pauses on my end are solved. The root of the issue was a wireless Bluetooth keyboard I was using while my cockpit is set up at my desk. After X amount of time, the keyboard goes to sleep to conserve battery. That disconnected it from the sim, causing the pause. I no longer have this issue.

1 Like

yep, exactly like you described it.

that’s intersting. can sombody from the developers @asobo confirm that this could be an issue?

You can reproduce that same problem any time you want. Connect or disconnect any peripheral the sim is using while it’s running. It will cause it to pause up to 30 seconds. Sometimes it will even cause it to CTD. Back at launch, that was an instant CTD if you plugged in or unplugged a device. At least now most of the time it won’t crash.

Constant stutters, however, are a different issue. I still have those in busy areas.

that’s understood. But this is such a fundamental wrong behaviour that it should be an known issue, right?