Solution for Stutters & Pauses (updated for SU5)

I think that’s just a coincidence. I also have stutters gone after I landed, probably because the sim has loaded enough scenery around me that it can render everything in real time.

Compared to doing an approach, where as you descend, the objects are coming closer and closer, requiring the sim to start loading higher detailed and highly textured sceneries as you get closer, this change in detail might have caused the stutters because the hardware is playing catch up.

When you land, the area around you would be already finished loading so no more trying to render higher detail since you’re already on the ground.

Please run ressource monitor, network traffic. You will see the network traffic MSFS 2020 makes to remote server port 443 (HTTPS) for flightsimulator.exe. Try to correlate your approach stutter to the amount of HTTPS network connections MSFS 2020 makes.

And now the real test for “stutter approach”: make a missed approach and fly back to your approach path (say ILS path) and fly the approach again. My hypothesis: The second time the scenery data shall be in the rolling cache, there should be less data requests aka less network traffic and less stutter.

But maybe there is some problem with rolling cache data management and the second approach has the same stutter problem.

This is a good hint. To help everybody to find this NVidia option I made a screen shot:

NVidia Systemsteuerung Threaded Optimization

The comment says: “switch off for older applications”. Can we assume that MSFS 2020 is an “older application”? Better assume that NVidia optimization backfires on MSFS 2020. Two optimizations kill each other …

1 Like

After temporarily swapping my RTC 3070 for a 3080 yesterday, I got the impression that my low FPS was from memory bandwidth limitations. I believe these limitations can by bypassed with optimization

Great findings I will hold off with my 2060super for now. Makes me wonder what’s the point with the 3080 giveaway when the sim is so badly optimized. I would definitely get a 3080 only if I am playing other games but MSFS is the only thing installed on my PC atm.
As a guy that flies airliners in the sim mostly upgrading the CPU made a big difference.

Should it be on or off? I do not read that language of NV CP

You should try first off and then on. I think the default is on (exactly it is auto, but what is auto?).

As always: if you are lucky, changing this value is the jack pot for you and your computer. Bad luck can happen too. Changing the value makes things worse. In most cases nothing will happen, no positive or negative change. We are all on a learning curve!

2 Likes

Thanks. I will experiment

The new version 1.15.8.0 of MSFS 2020 brought a new bug for my computer. A new kind of stutter. Again I can only say “two steps forward, one step back”. The city of Paris looks beautiful. But the stutter is really ugly. My computer has AMD 3300X CPU, NVidia 1660 Super GPU, 16 GByte RAM and SSD.

See https://youtu.be/c-Oyj9yMpMk

If I switch Photogrammetry on, I get more stutter. This makes me believe that the problem is in the communication between my computer and the Microsoft server computers.

The screen shot shows ressource monitor network traffic for flightsimulator.exe. We have more then 200 HTTPS entries. Note: the black entries are active HTTPS data exchanges, the grey entries are already closed.

MSFS 2020 shall use HTTP persistent connection. The connection set-up time normally needs more time then the actual data transfer. Asobo, don’t be silly and use ADVANCED HTTP technology - it is around since HTTP 1.1! See HTTP persistent connection - Wikipedia

Hi Neo4316
I totally agree with what you are saying about cache but I must have landed at this airport 6 times since deleting the cache after the latest update. Last week on the ground at the same airport I had micro-stutters so bad I had to end the flight…it was unplayable, and last week I did the same change servers and I have been Simming without problems for a few days now until the day. I have shut down the sim now but I am going to try the same flight to see how it goes then maybe Kennedy next.

After I turned off multiplayer, my stuttering stopped

I don’t use rolling cache, I turned that off when I was having CTD issues

Another vote here for turning off multiplayer - this cured the approx 1fps i got intermittently (probably when other players were in the vicinity) after WU4. I never had issues before WU4.

I should add that I use the automatically-suggested “West Europe” server - I have not tried other servers.

I made some measurements on my computer and came to the conclusions:
1.) MSFS 2020 world update France can use 8GByte GPU memory - my 1660 Super with 6 GByte comes to the limit.
2.) With 16 GByte RAM you should have a fast SSD for the pagefile or have 32 GByte RAM. My last update was a fast SSD.

I think MSFS 2020 in version 1.15.8.0 makes good use of the computer ressources - all of my 8 CPU cores have work to do, no longer “snow white and the dwarfes”.

I will wait for ray tracing in MSFS 2020 and other games before - in maybe two years - I buy a new graphics card and maybe a new computer. A NVidia 3080 is at the moment too expensive for me and has no games that can make use of all the features.

Glad that works I haven’t had to use it for a while!

I have RTX 3090 and Believe me, over Mont Kinabalu (North East of Borneo Island) I have big stuttering and 10FPS (my GPU works at 24% and my CPU 16%) … The issues comes form Software.

1 Like

Your gpu usage is low always? or just in that place? i’m asking you this…cuz i have a 3090 too…and i have 95/100% usage always.

CPU usage is between 12 and 55% (10 cores 20 threads - OC 4,5 for all cores - Watercooled) but often under 30%. For my GPU sometimes I have 90% usage (NY, Paris, London …) but with less 30 FPS (ultra 4K) and sometimes this usage often drop … I don’t understand … I try all … even with 1080P, I have the same result than 4K. Before, WU3 I have best results with my “old” 2080ti

Do you remember the “76T Bishop” bug? Some areas had bad fps. Instead of saying “I have always” please ask for the exact location of “Mont Kinabalu (North East of Borneo Island)” and test there.

I know that everybody can write everything in this forum. But I believe that testing needs some exactness. And “always” is the opposite of that.

I made some tests. In all tests I had Xbox game= on:

Einstellungen Spielmodus

Then I tests HAGS=on and HAGS=off

Einstellungen HAGS aus

And last test was priority on Background processes

I used 3Dmark for test. The best result was HAGS=off and Priority Background processes with 5958 points. The worst was HAGS=on and Priority Application processes with 5630. This is nearly +6%. Thanks a lot! I live and I learn.

2 Likes