Solution for Stutters & Pauses (updated for SU5)

I am also getting stutters it drops from a steady 40fps to 1 etc for maybe 10sec, quite often it’s at same time as ATC message or when I switch view

1 Like

I just tried this Process Lasso. I can also say this has dramatically improved the experience. It’s no longer a stutter-fest! Especially in exterior views, it’s silky smooth. I think the stutters following SU5 will have just been an oversight. In the past these stutter issues have been resolved, so I’d expect it will be fixed this time around aswell.

Still though, thanks for this post. Process Lasso has fixed it for the timebeing at least! I disabled the GUI from starting with windows but still allowed the Core/Service to start with windows, and this works perfectly fine.

1 Like

Typically, yes. There are some exceptions though. I don’t know the technical reasons why, but there is the issue we have at work, where we use WSUS, that will not allow any later CU’s to be delivered unless the May 11th CU (KB5003173) is installed. It also requires a Servicing Stack Update.

But generally speaking you can just install the latest one.

Internet problems. Try it again with a manual cache on the same drive as the sim and it should be good

Roi,

The application does not effect performance on my PC. As the FAQ says, the application is designed to reduce stutters and free-up memory.

I am sorry, I have just noticed your question several months on from your first posting.

Charles

I would be careful recommending this because of the changes MS are obviously making to ram usage. Also I doubt it’s effectiveness when dealing with sequential reads such as MSFS scenery but of course there’s more to the sim than just that so maybe. After each update anyone who uses it should try both with and without before making any claims.

2 Likes

Hi,

I am not making any claims, I said here is something to try. You are right to ask people to be analytical in their approach/evaluation before judgement. I think a lot of people do ‘jump too soon’ before evaluating a situation and trying to understand the bigger picture. The problem is, ‘the bigger picture’ is a vast one with so many variables!

Yes, I am aware of this however, people have a large number of add-ons within the simulator too which could be causing some issues. Asobo and their simulator take the blame for a lot of things without qualification from people.

I have been using it today extensively and without problems, everything is incredibly smooth in SU5v2 even with/without this software running at default settings. I am testing this software and reducing the size of the ‘standby list’ which has been occupying most of my RAM, at times only 2 mb remaining of free RAM when using MSFS according to the Win 10 resource monitor, (16GB installed).

At lot of people are stating they have memory leaks with slowdowns recently. I have not tested this theory and have only flown once recently for more than 40 mins, I did have a significant slowdown over the BC Rockies two days ago, (down to just 12 FPS over mountains with clouds using default 787). I will try it again under similar conditions with the utility running.

This little software program is harmless and people can try it if they like with any application.

I know nothing about this following software package, (MemTest) and how best it might be used, if at all. It might be something for more experienced users…

Hi,

way much better choice would be the usage of the offical tool, called RAMMAP.

See also:

1 Like

Micha,

Thank you for this link, I will check it out tomorrow. It looks interesting and I trust your knowledgeable advise. :grinning:

Does this other application allow one to limit the size of the standby list?

I will continue experimenting with ISLC for the time-being. Its too early to say, l think l might have mitigated my drop in frame rate for the expense of an occasional stutter/short pause as the application does it’s job. I rather have a stutter than a long period of 10-12 FPS. I need to tweak the settings in the app. As l say, it’s way too early to draw any conclusions for this app. Your app looks as if it could provide a useful way of recording what’s happening with the memory while l adjust/tweak the tools setting, perhaps?

BRGDS.

Charles.

1 Like

Well for what it’s worth, I have seemingly solved my stuttering problem. I used the " Anti stutter check list." found over at avsim. I doubt they’ll let me put a link, but here:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/590954-anti-stutter-check-list/

I did everything on that list and a few other things to boot, and the stutters and pauses are gone. Visuals are still degraded, but at least I can use the sim now.

2 Likes

Hi Micha,

RAMMAP only appears to clear the standby list by manual intervention. I will continue with the application that I am experimenting with because it does this automatically and allows me to tweak the settings/rules for trimming the standby list. As a general rule, I believe ‘we never get something for nothing in life’ and this process is about creating/tweaking a balance rather than a cure-all. For me it’s experimentation and learning if this application has any potential within MSFS 2020 on my set-up.

Charles.

Charles.

1 Like

yes… it is not made for auto-cleanup. But this should also not necessary. It was just a hint for users with low amount of RAM to get a clean “start” ( and it also can clean the fraqmentation of memory ).
I not assume that you can finally fix all stutters with these tool. I assume its more somewhat with loading data, server things, etc… But doing some tests , and learn something new, is never a wrong thing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Micha,

I am not having stutters only a drop of FPS from around 40 to 12 FPS and it takes too long to recover. I thought l would experiment to see if l could at least trade the awful slow down to a crawl with a few stutters as a trade-off. I will let you know how l get on. Alas, l think will take a while to find out.

I am not troubled by stutters when local flying. It’s complex cloud layers and flying out over the BC Rockies above the cloud layers that brought my FPS to an unusable place.

BRGDS.

Charles.

1 Like

Hi, from time to time (twice in an hour flight) I experience pauses (despite 40-45 FPS) like loading something in background. I use only medium settings and it wasn’t like that befor SU5.
Do you have the same?
Any fix?
thanks

1 Like

I’m only going to really disagree with one and that is texture quality. What is the point of lowering it in NVCP when you will only want to raise it a notch or two in the sim to compensate so for me the default ‘Quality’ setting works best and by a margin. Game bar doesn’t even get installed, my poor gpu has enough to do as it is. And if you are severely GPU limited like me I suggest switching the PhisX engine over to your CPU although till now I’m not sure that it actually matters.

Yes, and l don’t think it’s anything to do with memory. I suspect Global Shipping AI add-on as this is a very new phenomenon for me. I will try and troubleshoot the problem.

Charles.

Im noticing i get big 10sec or so, that are more freeze ups than stutters, but gpu usage goes to 0% (3090) and on resource manager i see a big spike across all cores. Im also getting shortly after these spikes, ATC tell me im 300ft above/below my altitude, so not sure if related?! Ive disabled Hyperthreading and runs much smoother now (a lot of stutters are cores topping out, so stronger, but less cores, makes sense), and only run vsync in the NVCP, not the sim. With the CRJ’s recent update i wasnt getting that ATC altitude thing, and apart from once during decent, didnt really get stutters either. Not very scientific, but just my observation.

1 Like

Micha,

Oh dear!,

My PC has failed, no signal to monitor.! :astonished:

I have tried another monitor, GPU, monitor cable and none of these work. I suspect a problem with the motherboard, CPU or RAM?

I may have to buy a new PC if l cannot fix the problem myself. I can try using the on-board motherboard graphics.

I did wonder if the PC battery is a problem?, the PC is 10 years old.

Upgrade options are for the following…

A 5600X, B550 VDH WIFI Motherboard and 16GB DDR4 3000MHz RAM…

I wonder now if the sudden freezing l have experienced in the sim the last two days, was actually due to a hardware problem that was developing.

BRGDS.

Charles.

Exactly the same thing happened to me about a month ago. My 3090 popped, and took out the motherboard PCIe slot as well. I got the 3090 RMA’ed but I had to buy a new motherboard, CPU, and memory. :frowning:

The onboard video on the motherboard was fine though, so I had to limp along like that for a week or so.

There are stories on the web of certain OEM 3090’s burning up because the software did not have a frame rate limiter configured. The cards should have better thermal throttling in them to protect themselves from this.

I’m getting a frame rate drop on occasions causing my GPU to drop to zero with this SU5 but I’m also getting sound crackling just before it happens, wondering what could be causing this issue as I’ve not had it previously.

All drivers are up to date. I’m thinking it could be the latest update to windows that may have caused it. Anyone else with this issue in the sim?

2 Likes