Solution for Stutters & Pauses (updated for SU5)

Just be careful changing folder permissions if you own the Microsoft store version. I was having CTD issues a few months back and after many attempts to fix the problem I narrowed it down to the changing of the folders permissions in my case.

2 Likes

I did notice a post where someone took possession of the “Windowsapp” folder and it caused all kinds of problems with loading of programs and other things. I did not opt to do that.

1 Like

Whenever i start a flight and have random stutters or freezes in an area,if i restart the flight,the problems are gone from that area.
If the appear in a new area,i restart again and then they dissapear completely.
Anyone can relate ?

I’ve never suffered much of the stuttering. After the fix something new has happened that I hadn’t before though : isolated small pauses of 2/3 seconds, once or twice in an average session of 60/90 minutes I could come my 4G ISP of course but it came after the fix. Anybody else ?

1 Like

See that too.
But seems it is a ongoeing thing since release.
At some Update it was better at some worser
but hopefully they get this kind of issues sorted out some day…

cheers

For me, HPET is a myth like “disable fullscreen optimizations”. But everybody shall measure what is true and what is fake. I found the program LatencyMon helpful. See Resplendence Software - LatencyMon: suitability checker for real-time audio and other tasks

This is LatencyMon output if I have “Shader Cache” on in NVidia graphics driver 465.89:

This is LatencyMon output if I have “Shader Cache” off in NVidia graphics driver 465.89:

First I saw this in ressource monitor:

Then I googled about NV_Cache and found “Shader Cache”. The shader files are relative large. And drive C: is my slow SSD. To switch off “Shader cache” you have to call NVidia Systemsteuerung.

I can not say that “bad latency” because of “shader cache=on” causes stutter. But I can say that LatencyMon is hopefully a tool to find the reason for stutter. If you remove an obstacle with shader cache=off you get a better view to the real problem.

1 Like

I did some investigation with my set up.

I reset the global rendering quality to low an applied. Then I adjusted the settings step by step to see what the pinch points were / are.

Initially with low settings I was getting 120fps. Then I dialed it in to 55-60fps with managing what is really important to me and the best balance. I will continue to tweak until it dips below say 50fps and note what was the largest impact / discrete setting that impacted the fps.

All in all I have several settings on Ultra. Resolution for my 4K monitors (60hz refresh) is set at 3840x2160 and the render scaling is set at 80 (3072x1728). The quality looks amazing and I am very satisfied with the performance and visual quality. For the record I LOVE this flight simulation! Even at the low settings this sim is (to me) a light year beyond any other of the MS flight sims.

I will continue to tweak and experiment with the settings. By performing a reset on my settings and rebuilding them I am finding the balance between my rig and the sim.

NOTE: I did Increase the Virtual Memory can end unknown crash-to-desktop issues. I did this and tried my original settings prior to my settings reset and did not see an improvement.

I increased / set my virtual memory settings to 32000 by doing the following:

In the Windows Search bar, type and open View advanced system settings . Under the Advanced tab, click the Settings (Performance). On the Performance Options, go to the Advanced tab, and click Change (Virtual memory). Uncheck the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives . Click to select the drive on which Windows 10 is installed (by default C:). Select the Custom size and for both fields below, type the Pagefile in megabytes according to your physical memory present in your computer (e.g. 16GB RAM = 16000 megabytes). Finally, click Set, then click OK, and restart your computer.

FS2020 Premium Deluxe version Settings:

Resolution = 3840x2160

Render Scaling = 3072x1728

I7 9700K @ 4.9ghz (all cores)

Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI

Asus RTX 3080 ROG

970 EVO Plus m.2 dedicated to FS2020

32gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz

750W PSU

1 Like

Nailed the “Hourglass freezes” that i just got in VR:

It was the Xbox Games Bar “Record last 30 seconds capture” feature => it downloads through PCIe the framebuffer (compressed or raw) in a rolling memory buffer to be able to create a video if the button is pressed.

You have to uncheck “Record in the background while I’m playing a game” in the Games Bar Settings, then at least do a Fullscreen => Windowed => Fullscreen with ALT-ENTER in FS.

Might be required to quit and relaunch FS, but not sure.
If the option is really off, when the mouse if hovering the 30secs capture button, the Xbox Games Bar should say “this has been disabled for this application”.

This option got enabled on the first “Record last 30 seconds capture” button press , and stays always enabled.

Thus eating resources for nothing, just to provide the rolling video buffer in case of the 30s button press.

I have added a suggestion so the Xbox Games Bar should display a notification on a games startup if the 30secs rolling buffering is active: (to upvote so it gets implemented)

omg, all the features the users can enable :slight_smile:

It is per default off and there is warning if users enable it.
Geforce Experience User ( shadowplay ) can trap into the same pitfall - there is a similar feature which can be activated.

1 Like

I pity the guy who would have ticked it both in Xbox Games Bar and Geforce Experience, and did reinstall Windows to fix it :smiley:

3 Likes

Weird but True (apologies if it has been mentioned before but couldn’t find it when I searched).

Like most people I suffer from stutters and freezes - I have tried every suggested solution without improvement.

However, I got so fed up with constant tweaking (just like FSX) I set Ultra (that is how I used to fly and I could maintain around 40FPS, full screen on 4K); two flights in and almost no stutters.

Knowing my luck, it will be bad again tomorrow :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

What works for me now is to have vertical sync disabled in-game, and set my Nvidia Vertical Sync to Fast. With this I have better frame rates than using in-game vsync, and without screen tearing or stuttering.

3 Likes

Yes, I can confirm this.

Wrote about this here as well: Low specs experience - #37 by AmbitiousPilots

2 Likes

Same here as well

My god dude, it works brilliantly! Thank you.

1 Like

Your V-sync experiments are interesting, I will try that later.

A reminder to all: Keep topics on topic and not on each other.

1 Like

Where is the solution, since Asobo hasn’t one themselves?
All these “snake oil” tips, like disabling fullscreen optimisation, increasing page-file, they might work to some small extend, but the general picture is, heavily decreased visual fidelity while performance steadily went down. And with every developer video more talk of how the “sim” is getting more optimised every time.

Uploading: IMG_20210419_161243.jpg…

Hi.
Would like to post my experience with performance-settings issues, maybe will help someone.

My problem was no matter what graphic settings or resolution in game, places like KMIA, LIRN, EGLL, LFPO, EHAM…etc gave me no more then 20ish FPS, no matter what airplane or weather type. (CPU/GPU usage never over 50-60%, temps arround 50C) Find a bit strange those results. After long days of reading and research and playing with settings instead of flying …not much improvement.

Until yesterday

So here are my settings* (Intel/Nvidia users) which boosted my FPS from 20ish to stable 60-70 in before critical areas.

Windows 10

• Game mode OFF (try On too)
  • GPU scheduling ON (if available)
  • Scale 100% (display settings)
  • CPU priority FlightSimulator.exe file (default windows)
  • Pagefile 16384MB fixed or 8192-16384 (windows default 4GB fps drops cities)

Nvidia panel windows 3D (global)

• DSR off
  • sharpen off
  • Latency mode off
  • FXAA off !

Nvidia Profile Inspector - MSFS profile selected

• Power management Prefer Max
  • Texture filtering quality - High Performance
  • *Threaded optimization OFF (i know many suggestions are ON)
  • Vsync Force on (in sim to OFF)

*Threaded optimization to OFF was major step forward in my case of settings combo, now i can fly and land any plane in any weather without FPS drops with vsync on. Also now can adjust graphic settings in MSFS and affects the GPU and CPU usage…finally :slight_smile:

MSFS vsync…stil get some micro stutters even fps are over 60 when disabled
Frame limiter: ok but tearing when turning headview
Nvidia vsync - smooth experience overall

MSFS - rolling cache set to 64GB, Bing on, photo on…etc all on
All ingame overlays off except Geforce Experience (for me)

For MSFS purpose running Win primary at 2560x1440 - 30Hz (better than 60Hz/half sync in my case)
secondary 1920x1080 - 30Hz.
PC: i9-10900KF @5.0 all cores, RTX 3070, 32GB RAM, 1TB M.2 + 2x2TB HDD RAID1, W10PRO.

Test flights 200-400nm range over diverse populated terrain at different FL using A32NX 0.6 and dev version with multiplayer ALL players visible plus AI traffic at 65%, other community addons OFF.

Sorry for my bad English
Hope someone find it usefull.

6 Likes