Solution for Stutters & Pauses (updated for SU5)

Now that I’ve written this and gave a couple minutes more thoughts, the first thing I can think of being displayed only below this height is grass. I won’t run FS2020 until much later today but I’m wondering what if setting grass to the lowest value or off.

1 Like

Again, I have a completely freeze for a couple seconds, recover for a second and another freeze for a couple seconds, CPU and GPU usage drops during the freeze. I’ve done timing and my freezes are occurring exactly every 15 minutes.

I don’t think this is due to something on the system (though I won’t rule it out), as it is not the same timing every flight. For example, some flights its at 7:02, 7:17, 7:32 (wall clock) and others is 7:12, 7:27, 7:42. The timing is the same before and after WU3. After WU3, I also increased my pagefile to 32 GB as I was having CTDs. The increase fixed the CTD but no impact on the freeze. I will try to check the keyboard sleep issue.

Performance depends on thow the MB is using the NVMe drives. I have an INTEL Z490 ITX build.If I’m, using my 2 NVMe’s at the same time, the peformance drops by 50%. The design of the MB uses just one PCI lane.

That is horrible. M.2 should be 4 PCI lanes. But I guess it is all to do with how many lane the CPU provides, after GPU, there is not much left with consumer grade CPU’s.

1 Like

I know. However, the small ITX boards are kind of restricted. Didn’t know this. Only found out by doing performance tests.

1 Like

Yeah, I wonder if many overlook the bandwidth limitations of SATA connectors and M.2 slots. I can get the full bandwidth of both of my M.2 slots (PCIe/NVMe in both) as long as I avoid using certain SATA connectors that share the bandwidth. Also, M.2 is the “form factor”, these slots can use SATA or PCIe (with/without NVMe support) based storage - PCIe being more expensive but faster. For my motherboard the bandwidth sharing is as shown below:

1 Like

I agree: Solution for Stutters & Pauses (updated for SU5) - #373 by CptLucky8

Its all about RAM!!! I had 32 gigs Gskill cas14@3200mhz, an rtx 3090 and a 9900k @ 5ghz, at Terrain LOD 6 Object LOD 2 used 70% of my memory on average but also had a windows page file going thats 26 gigs, thats the killer causing Limited by main thread, At max garphics LOD 2 even was not good. 64 gigs ram, LOD 9 for terrain and LOD 4 so far for Objects. Smooth with all graphics settings jacked up. resolution scale even. I have msfs on an nvme and a seperate nvme for community folder. Now im trying to sqeeze the bandwidth. have a 40mb line waiting for a 150mb upgrade Gsynch and In game vsynch 30fps this is awesome now

LOL just posted this reply to your other post!

1 Like

All I know is I thought this game was broken untill I got the other 32 gigs yesterday. i almost fell over when it loaded up. even smooth in the loading cut scene. take offs and landings.

The other big killer is bad freaking Liveries. They cause MSFS to hang, so to speak.

Thank you sir!!! I think you picked out what I stumbled upon

5 Likes

You inspired me, I am getting 64gb of RAM tomorrow morning - will report back if it fixes my stutters

I have 64 GB of RAM and MSFS uses only about 16 GB. :stuck_out_tongue: What’s more, I have a dedicated SSD for the rolling cache (100 GB) and still when I fly for example near KMIA - my FPS drops to 10-15. :smiley: (i7 7700k, GTX 1080Ti)

check your commited memory :stuck_out_tongue: … and try London :rofl:

2 Likes

The idea behind the 64GB is only when using a 24GB 3090…

If you want to read more about what this is about:

MSFS forums claiming 64GB of Ram helps on 3090s - Page 4 - Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - The AVSIM Community

MSFS forums claiming 64GB of Ram helps on 3090s - Page 5 - Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - The AVSIM Community

MSFS forums claiming 64GB of Ram helps on 3090s - Page 5 - Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - The AVSIM Community

1 Like

Did you just populate the other 2 slots of a board which is otherwise dual channel with a dual channel kit of same type/capacity?

I have a 32Gb (2x16Gb) G-Skill Trident 3600 c16 kit. Am open to adding more if it is really a possible performance boost.

Rig = 8086k, 32gb 3600/16, Rtx 3090 2 x 1Tb PCIe nvme SSD (no bandwidth conflicts, in correct slots to avoid this)

If you are flying in VR (reprojection enabled) and hitting 45fps but not with consistency the system will fluctuate between 30 - 45fps and this I noticed creates the micro-stutter. So if you have a good spec put your quality of the graphics setting a bit higher in places until you get a steady 30fps but not much more, few frames over it`s ok, any more than that, unless your system can do 45 steadily (unlikely with any systems currently and the way the code is performing now) will create problems with stutter. I run a 9900K @ 5.2GHz, Hyperthreading disabled, 3090 RTX, 32 Gb.

Yes, I bought an identical kit and just filled the other two slots

Hi.

I use 64 GB SDRAM and I am very surprised at the difference.
i9-9900K, MSI GTX 1660 TI, Z390 MB, TCL 4k OLED TV

Pure “Ultra” graphics (4K Windowed) getting 14 -24 FPS at smooth flight and responsive WT CJ4.

I’ve tried on other threads to describe the additional benefits but others
on the thread will not believe or accept. I don’t try anymore.

Do yourself a favor, order the additional SDRAM (3200Mhz or higher
is better) and see for yourself on your PC/Laptop.

If no change, return it.

1 Like

There is another positive feedback to using 64GB with a 3090:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/596209-msfs-forums-claiming-64gb-of-ram-helps-on-3090s/?do=findComment&comment=4484664

1 Like

Edit:

SORRY, I responded to the wrong thread.