[Solved]: MSFS 2020 crashes to desktop (CTD) when ORBX KTIW Tacoma Narrows is installed

Edit: 22.1.2021 This issue is now 100% solved after installing today’s marketplace update for EGTB! Thank you Microsoft! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I can’t load into any airport anywhere near Seattle, Washington if Orbx’s KTIW Tacoma Narrows airport is installed, which I bought from the MSFS marketplace a day ago. It just produces an instant CTD approximately half a minute after I click the Fly button. After clicking “Fly Now” in the flight planner, the simulator would load and then CTD before the flight finished loading.

If I uninstall Orbx’s KTIW Tacoma Narrows airport, I can load into any airport in Seattle area as usual, without experiencing CTDs.

Others are having the same issue and written about it on AVSIM: CTD with Orbx KTIW and Drzewiecki Designs Seattle - Crash To Desktop (CTD) Forum - The AVSIM Community

I’ve notified ORBX of the problem too: https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/203357-tacoma-narrows-ctd and https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/203357-tacoma-narrows-ctd/?do=findComment&comment=1734187

Disabling the rolling cache helped me with CTDs after only a few seconds in baught german airports (EDDH and EDDK)

Thanks. Will try doing that and report back. I don’t have rolling cache enabled but will enable then disable it (and delete too) to see if the issue goes away.

Update: Sorry to report deleting rolling cache didn’t help at all :frowning:

Edit: 22.1.2021 This issue is now 100% solved after installing today’s marketplace update for EGTB!

After approximately 2-3 hours of investigation and experiments, I can now confirm, without any doubt, that in my particular case, it’s the Pilot Plus EGTB Wycombe addon that’s been causing the CTD and conflicts with Orbx KTIW and airports in Seattle, Washington.

With Pilot Plus EGTB Wycombe uninstalled, I don’t have any issue with spawning at either Orbx KTIW or any airport in Seattle.

With Pilot Plus EGTB Wycombe installed in either Community or Official folder, I have CTD at either Orbx KTIW or any airport in Seattle.

If I uninstall Orbx KTIW but have Pilot Plus EGTB Wycombe installed in either Community or Official folder, all airports in Seattle, Washington work as expected without CTD.

If I have both Pilot Plus EGTB Wycombe and Orbx KTIW installed in either Community or Official folder, spawning at the former airport works as expected without CTD.

I bought Pilot Plus EGTB Wycombe from MSFS marketplace, and not Orbx. I guess that for a temporary workaround I’ll just have to keep EGTB uninstalled (or moved to a different folder and only move it back to Official folder when I wanna use it while flying in UK) and contact and report the issue to the developer directly. And hopefully this investigation and subsequent report help Orbx and the forum users on here in some way.

1 Like

I have the same problems with Wycombe Airpark. Problems with Tacoma Narrows only showed up after installing Wycombe Airpark. Cannot spawn anywhere near it (Heathrow/Gatwick) while Wycombe is installed. Tried installing it with no other addons after a fresh MSFS install and it crashed in the loading screen. The scenery worked fine for around a month before I had issues with it.
I wouldn’t say uninstalling a paid for scenery is much of a solution, but not having the scenery is the only workaround at the moment.

strange cause I can spawn at Heathrow or Gatwick fine with Wycombe installed, but definitely can’t spawn at ORBX KTIW or anywhere near it.

For now I just move the Wycombe folder somewhere else and out of the MSFS installation folder when I’m flying in Seattle. If in UK and doing a flight to Wycombe I throw the folder back in. :rofl:

This issue started with the latest MS/Asobo sim update, is highly reproduceable and has been confirmed by some users.

1 Like

Hi

this partially worked for me too. Azurpoly and Macco Simulations airports both CTD for me.

Deleted Wycombe Park (PilotPlus) and now Azurpoly (LFOU) works…sadly Macco Simulations Birmingham still CTD`.

Its a start - have reported it to Zen Desk

thank you!

My investigations continue.

1 Like

Closed at the OP’s request