Some Airport Life in and around the Airport

HI Guys,

I would be glad when we would see in the airport some Passengers at the Terminal/Gate and at the Check in and at the Secure area. I mean i would glad to see when passengers drop their hand bagage on the X-ray assembly line, when teir drop their bagage at the check in at the assembly line.

and some more interacting with the Airport and with among themselves
in the Airport like in real life.

i would also glad to see some taxi and passengers which will use the taxi’s and some cars which bring some passengers to the Airport. or cars which will park in a car park. last but not lease i will see a airport life like in realife. What we all have to do as Passengers in and Around the Airport until to the Aircraft.

I mean to have the opportunity to see what the Passengers do in and around the Airport until there are in the Aircraft.

Its only a Idea from me

regards

Legendsy

As awesome as this idea is. Would you still be glad if you get everything that you want deployed, but you’re running the sim at 5-10 fps?

I can’t think of a way for the sim to render passengers in good enough detail that’s acceptable, yet still make the sim render at 30 fps or more. I mean, just sitting in the currently handcrafted LFPG gate is giving me 15 fps on my 2080 Ti. Rendering a full terminal on some of the best handcrafted airports out there both as a paid marketplace item or free community mods, are already FPS killers. Adding animation and the CPU processing into simulating passengers moving about the terminal, waiting on the X-Ray assembly line, baggage drop etc. Seem like it’ll take a supercomputer to make it happen.

Not to mention that this needs an rendered terminal interior, add more objects and assets, passengers to animate, etc. The last thing you want is you’re on short final about to land, and the sim suddenly stutters back down to 10 fps just because it’s trying to also renders passengers doing immigration inside the building.

I’m not trying to bring down ideas here. I’m just trying to help you that if you want an idea to be taken seriously, you need to pitch this the right way and give them something to work on. What’s your idea to keep the FPS to an acceptable and playable rate if you want to add this feature? Do you want to render it in real time all the time, or do you want to only render the passengers and terminals when you move your camera inside? If you want to limit visibility that means the sim needs to fetch the internal models and textures when you move the camera inside. There will be a lag, how do you think they should do to minimise this lag?

There’s a lot of things to consider and think about when coming up for ideas. You can’t just throw ideas around and expect someone would go like “good idea, let’s do it.” Because at the end of the day, the word of wisdom is… “be careful of what you wished for”.

But again, don’t get me wrong, I like the idea and you have my vote… But we need to be considerate with it as well.

I agree with you. But what what would be, when a server do the computing processes for this and the server streams the Data and Animations etc for my idea?

I think then must your PC’S don’t do the computing processes.

This sim has just started crawling, you are asking for ‘flying’ things.

That said, I thought is would be a great idea to do up my home airport and as an Easter egg have my mechanic working on my plane in his hanger with the door open.

Even static people around cars, parked aircraft, FBO’s would be a nice touch.

seriously - You’re only getting 15fps at LFPG on a 2080Ti? That’s a bit odd - I’m getting around 30-40fps on my Zotac 2080Ti. What CPU have you got?

i9-9900K. That’s if I put everything on ultra though. I have to optimise the settings one by one, bring it down to medium-high, turn off a few effects and details at no higher than 100. I get a stable 25-30 fps at LFPG now. Which is acceptable and playable for me.

1 Like

A kind reminder, there is no hardware that can run everything at 100+ and Ultra 4K today in existence. Tom’s Hardware, Guru3D, every reliable hardware review site has taken apart this sim and run it up against the latest equipment, even RTX30 and Radeon 6xxx.

While more ambient animations would be great, you can already be brought to your knees trying to get a semblance of something even close to a real-world simulation of aerial traffic alone. Add WX, general ground and marine traffic, and you’re in slideshow land. As it is, just bumping static traffic at airports to 30-40 drops your taxi FPS into the teens for most machines.

Someday, it would be nice to have what you’re asking for - but given “Dreadful Performance” remains in “Ongoing” status on the most-asked for items by the forum per the Monthly Dev Q&A, it’s fairly far down the list. Let’s get the core sim up to snuff first.

Other than the fuelman, it is pretty quiet. It would be nice to see more people. For example, many small aerodromes are not fenced and there could be some human activity near the flying club. It would be more like in real life: waiting passengers, somebody taking pictures, somebody reading, a technician working on an aircraft, visitors, etc. There are multiple possibilities here…

Thanks!

It can be done. If any of you have the TNCM payware, on the beach there is a small crowd of people, some static, some walking about. And you have the marshal’s wandering around as well.

Not sure how this would affect framerates though.

Maybe it would be possible to have the opportunity to click for a certain option when we want it, so that people with a slower PC would not be affected. For example, in the “Option” or “General” section, we decide what we want to add to our scenery, depending on our PC system…?

The thing I liked most in the FSX and P3D airports from ORBX, were the wide array of animated people and animals at practically all of their airports.
Besides the already present airport workers, could there be animated waiting passengers and people who are just watching ?

I think there’s a few mods out there that adds people. But I don’t think they’re animated. Even if there is, we need to be careful with that feature. We don’t want our FPS to tank into single digits just because our CPU/GPU is trying to animate hundreds of passengers.

Certainly, indeed, Neo4316. There is at least one freeware library with some animated people and animals. And ofcourse we need to keep the nessesary amount of FPS.
However, the way Orbx covered that with the FSX and P3D versions of their airports, was creating a settings menu for every airport, in which one could choose if one wanted to let the animated stuff activated and sometimes even in what amount.
This way it could be done by Asobo, I suppose, and then with a seperate settings slider in the grafic settings for the amount of availability. Actually just the same like they now have for the ground personel.

Aerosoft airports Trondheim and Padderborn have animated passengers in terminal.

O, thanks, I am going to have a look there!

Aerosoft Flughafen Köln/ Cologne has also animated passengers in terminal

2 Likes

I can’t see any reason why not. The TNCM scenery package from the marketplace has animated people on the beach near the threshold. Some are walking around, some are waving their arms, taking selfies etc.

The argument that animated people at airports would impact fps too much is utter nonsense. The people saying this still believe we are flying FSX and that it’s the year 2012. As proven by various airports addons that have highly detailed interiors and animated passengers, there is virtually no fps hit.

A flight simulator may be about flying but clearly the objective of MSFS is also about immersion. Ground operations are important as too are the way the sim looks and feels. Airports are clearly critical to this and personally I feel are far too void of life considering how great everything else looks.

Ignore the negative Nancy’s and bring it on Asobo. I think it would massively add to the enjoyment of the sim for the majority of people.