Lightning in Live Weather - Excessive and where Lightning should not Occur

I confirm that during the winter in the northern hemisphere, the lightning was non-existent, so it might have created a feeling the November update fixed it.

However, I am experiencing many instances of completely unrealistic lightning occurences and frequences. Lately in Vienna, when the weather indeed was changing (rapid pressure dropping), but definitely not creating high-altitude cirrus-lightning flashing literally every 10 seconds. Yesterday the whole Minneapolis was full of lightning while there were just a few small clouds in the sky, this time some 15-second interval, but persistent.

Please, the Live Weather otherwise is great (even if not always super-accurate, (which was never the aim anyways) but the complexity is stunning and it makes MSFS beautiful), give us the option to disable lightning.

1 Like

To be sincere…having no lightning would be more imersive than having it. Those lightning (even during clear skies) are totally unecessary

6 Likes

This is just a random snapshot of the unfortunate and unrealistic lightning rendition. Once again, the lightning and thunder was generated every 10 seconds, in a practically clear sky. I am afraid the November fix did not fix it and the issue should not be considered as resolved. :frowning:

6 Likes

I had a couple of instances of this the other day. Not as egregious as your example, as there were some dark clouds around. I have no problem with that per se, but the implementation is often overdone. The lightning should remain in the vicinity of those clouds, and not flash across patches of open sky in front of me.

2 Likes

constant at the moment. Only starting happening for me today. Weird.

2 Likes

Last 3 days I’ve been getting the lightening deal again on live weather? Tampa Bay everyday for the last 3 days and there is no lightening in the area.

1 Like

Same here. Lightning when there shouldn’t be lightning. Random lightning and lightning that follows me per say. I’ll fly near t-storms and it’ll continue through the rest of the flight in few cloud conditions.
Would Asobo mind sneaking a fix into the next? Or do I need to sacrifice my first born?

2 Likes

Not surprising since they never fixed the underlying issue, and now that the weather is warming up, the Live Weather parameter that’s downloaded to activate lightning is going to be much more active.

You’re unlikely to see any work on this in the next several months due to the Xbox release and DX12 upgrade consuming the bulk of their efforts, so I’d hold off on the sacrificial offerings. During the last Q&A session they mentioned overhauling the weather system, and that’s probably a longer term project that’ll start after these updates.

2 Likes

Glad it’s not just me, been flying around Florida, sure there’s a lot of cloud, but thunderstorms, lightning and no rain for the last week. Everytime I plan a route and set off, thunderstorms. Hope this gets a fix soon because live weather is a must. Unless of course it has been thunder and lighning constantly over Florida this past week?

2 Likes

It hasn’t. I believe that as the temperatures are getting warmer here, their weather programing is misinterpreting the data and causing the lightening. Really Annoying!

3 Likes

Don’t it suck that we have to turn off many of the features that enticed us to buy the goshdamn game in the first place? Ex. Live weather, Multiplayer, Live air traffic.

3 Likes

Welllll, something is certainly strange in Florida, because my copilot thinks Marathon airport is in the Atlantic ocean.

2 Likes

Same problem last three days for me. Never stops. Been flying around Thailand, Singapore… Annoying.

1 Like

Constant lightning flying 8000 ft above cloud tops on a trip from Dallas to Corpus Christi. Lightning is not created with clouds that top out below 8000 ft, and rarely when below 18000 unless there is ice in the cloud. This is very distracting, especially flying at night. It’s horrible.

1 Like

I created a topic on this for the upcoming Q&A but sadly most people apparently think this is normal or simply don’t care
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/any-improvements-on-lightning/401501

1 Like

Flying through partly cloudy skies now with constant lightning. This needs to be fixed. Disappointed this wasn’t included in any of the weather fixes in the new update. Not sure how this isn’t a priority as it’s completely distracting and unrealistic.

1 Like

Thought I was the only one experiencing this but seems common. Ridiculous and infuriating. Every flight I take now has thunder and lightning going on at ridiculous over the top levels. Thought this was supposed to be fixed. The quality control and testing of this program at times is just deplorable. Is REX weather force worth getting to fix it? Any other fixes or do we just manually enter the weather to try to get it resemble it a little.

1 Like

I rarely see lightning, to be honest, so I guess it’s a regional thing. If you fly in areas more prone to it I mean. When I have seen it in areas where the weather doesn’t suggest it should be, typically it was somewhere in the Caribbean. There might be some clouds in the far distance, but the lighting would shoot horizontally across a clear blue sky, sometimes towards me. Way overdone.

1 Like

@TomL7753 had posted a really good explaination to what might be happening. If one compares the CAPE index map from meteoblue to the lightning areas in MSFS you will see a close match. So it’s almost as if Asobo just needs to “remove” the lightning outside of the thunderstorm cells, but of course leave the lightning for within the cell. Not sue if that is possible, but would clean it up. I’ve noted since the latest update that the live weather is depicting the thunderstorms in the correct vicinities.

2 Likes

It appears that it’s still happening, though it’s the first time in a while I’ve seen it

3 Likes