Something wrong with Atlanta, GA?

yep, still a no-fly zone

Oh, you meant in FSā€¦

I just flew into KPDK from the north and noticed unusually bad FPS. Tried again to be sure. Wonā€™t be going there again unless there is a fix sadly. Turning photogrammetry off only added about 4 FPS.

I removed it in Content Managerā€¦ at least I can fly over Atlanta nowā€¦ :slight_smile: and the default KATL looks (a little) like an airportā€¦ dunno about ATC and all the approach rules though !

Terrible performance when entering the Atlanta area. Could not fly the Caravan anymore, had to kill task FS which is only the 2nd time in one year. I even turned off the PG which is something I never had to do before. My config: Ryzen 7 3700X, RTX2080 Super, 32Gb, m2 SSD.

Annoyed seeing Asobo doesnā€™t take this problem serious.

Moderators should move this topic to a bug report.

2 Likes

Add another one(me) to the list of people not able to fly in/around the Atlanta area.

I spent over $1k on a pc JUST to play this game. It is NOT my system because so many bigger/detailed cities are very smooth.

I think the shorter list would be to have users chime in who DONā€™T have a problem with Atlanta Georgia, because seems like EVERYONE HAS A PROBLEM WITH ATLANTA.

Why go through so much trouble to make a major city super detailed, only for it to cause problems for everyone where itā€™s not even flyable?

1 Like

Please remove me from your definition of ā€œeveryoneā€ because I donā€™t have issues with Atlanta. And it is NOT my system either. I often fly around LA, NYC, London at about the same FPS.

Itā€™s affecting a lot of people. I too can fly around La without a problem but I have issues with Atlanta as well as other areas in Georgia.

Would you mind uploading a video of you flying a slow plane around Atlanta or sharing what specs you have, server your using?

i9-10900KF / RTX 3070 / 32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 / SSD / 2560x1440

Fully maxed out aside from resolution scale at 100 and on East USA server.

(might take a while before 1440p is ready)

flew over KATL today in 4000 ft with the TBM930 and had no problems with framesā€¦
I am not recording or locking every time to fps but had no stutters

I donā€™t deny it is affecting a lot of users. But not ALL users. We both agree that it is NOT our hardware that is the primary factor for FPS. If you examine my screen capture closely, everything far away is lacking detail. I am okay with that now. A few months ago I wasnā€™t. I bought a 4k monitor expecting everything to be sharp and clear. I pushed my graphics settings to Ultra thinking that Ultra will have everything sharp and clear. I was quite surprised flying over Atlanta and other high density cities. My FPS dropped below 10 FPS making Atlanta into a slide show cesspool. A couple of times the FPS counter dropped below 1, that is it was taking longer than one second to generate a frame! I opened a ZenDesk ticket and their reply was that performance improvements were being delivered in the next several updates.

I saw other people with flyable frame rates. I started doing a lot of graphics performance research at NVIDIA, MS Windows, and MSFS. Various patches, driver updates, and updates were installed but none helped. But they didnā€™t make things worse. I deliberately did not do overclocking or messed around with my BIOS. I did not reinstall MSFS or Windows. I spent time reading this forum trying and testing many recommendations of graphic settings. I found a combination of MEDIUM and HIGH settings for my hardware that proved good FPS with balanced quality. No hardware changes have been made.

Providing a video would and questions about stutters. There are occasionally random very short-lived FPS ā€œbouncesā€ that I am troubleshooting now. These ā€œbouncesā€ do not detract from MY overall experience. I will attempt to create and upload a short video of me flying around Atlanta.

1 Like

I see only one solution. Move out of Atlanta and if you canā€™tā€¦ avoid KATL, remove KATL.

Believe me there are high resolution animated rats on that airportā€¦ I removed it from CM.

Thank you for that detailed reply. For what I am doing, Iā€™m trying to cover all US photogrammetry cities and right now Iā€™m unable to do it for Georgia as Iā€™m discovering itā€™s not just Atlanta but a few other cities in Georgia as well.

I have already opened a ticket with zendesk prior to your reply. Iā€™m unsure if the response about it being addressed in a future update is one to just write the request off or if theyā€™re really going to address it. I guess weā€™ll see but from the responses Iā€™ve been seeing dating back prior to previous updates, my hopes are not high.

As soon as I try another city Iā€™ve already flown over, after getting stutter/lag over Georgia cities, my flights are smooth like theyā€™ve always been so to me that tells me itā€™s something with the city.

The really bad issue is not present when spawning in Atlanta though, so that could be misleading. Spawning in Atlanta presents lower frames than normal (15-20), but does not render it unplayable. I still experience some runway tares though, using an a32nx. What happens if you try flying into Atlanta from an airport far enough away that it will not be loading? For example Iā€™ve used KGSP.

If I spawn in KATL and fly out and around it, itā€™s lower frames (15fps) with slight stutters but not complete pauses. But any time I fly into it from elsewhere 1-10FPS.

R7 3700x , 64GB 3600mhz ram, 1TB M.2 SSD, RTX 2080S

@PacificSet90456

Not true. For me the performance was super bad spawing at Atlanta.

Youā€™re right, it does present lower than normal frames when spawning, but I havenā€™t been able to spawn and not move around due to the complete stutters and pauses I get when flying in. It all happened after the last sim update when they did the tree fixes. Before then, I was at 25-30 frames consistently

Thatā€™s good outside the box thinking regarding your suggestion of flying into Atlanta from a non stuttering area into a stuttering(Atlanta) one.

I have done a few cities as I do my normal city to city fly overs, and thus far only a few select cities in Georgia, particularly Atlanta and nearby cities to Atlanta, all have the same problem.

Iā€™m almost done with Georgiaā€™s photogrammetry cities but thus farā€¦Columbus, Marietta, LaGrange, and Atlanta all have a problem that cause lag/stutter when flying in these areas.
Griffin and Brunswick also had some lag/stutter, but it didnā€™t seem to be as prevalent in these areas as the ones listed above.

Gainesville(Ga) and Macon didnā€™t seem to have the stutter/lag issue.

so is this poor performance even if using the imaginsim addon?

• Atlanta
  • Augusta
  • Brunswick
  • Columbus
  • Gainesville
  • Griffin
  • LaGrange
  • Macon
  • Marietta
  • Peachtree City
  • Riverdale
  • Roswell
  • Savannah
  • Sea Island
  • St. Marys
  • Statesboro
  • Valdosta

Augusta was not listed as a photogrammetry city but it has a city marker and is in fact a city with photogrammetry. No lag in it despite being able to fly low and read multiple names on buildings, worked as it does in most cities. For some reason Georgia has a few cities highlighted in bold that cause lag.

1 Like

Happened to me two weeks ago. 5 fps on approach ā€¦ literally 5 fps and on TD (Runway 10) there was an anomaly that crashed the AC (Runway uneven/ felt like a roller coaster)

1 Like