Specs before I buy

ok - after deliberating I think i have made my decision. I couldn’t build it much cheaper and get 3 year warranty (1st year at site), and a wee bit more piece of mind.

• EVGA NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Ampere
    Graphics Card
  • ASUS AMD Ryzen TUF GAMING X570-PLUS AM4 PCIe 4.0 ATX Motherboard
  • WD 500GB Blue 3D NAND 2.5" SATA SSD/Solid State Drive (for OS supplied too)
  • Intel 665p 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe 3D3 NAND SSD/Solid State Drive
  • NZXT Black H510i Smart Mid Tower
  • Corsair 750 Watt RM750x Fully Modular 80+ Gold ATX Power Supply/PSU (2020 Update)
  • Corsair Hydro Series H100x 240mm Radiator, Dual 120mm PWM Fans, Liquid CPU Cooler
  • 32GB RAM

any good for the whole VR experience?

1 Like

Ohhh my that is EXPENSIVE!!!.. I paid 50 pounds less for the entire desktop already assembled with water-cooled 5800x, rtx3080, 1TB Samsung SSD, 32gb ram and X570 and 2 years warranty… 2 months ago… in Korea

What processor Ethan? Looks like a nice build!

I am genuinely happy for you!

But… I’m not in Korea!

Prices are crazy right now, eh…

AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800X

Whos is expensive…i never stated the price of mine?

So what price is this config turning to then?

For what its worth, you might want to compare with DELL Alienware setups. It is not as open as you’d get building it yourself, and there are cutting some corners to keep price down, but it is bloatware less with liquid cooling options and latest 30XX cards and a good guarantee too. Not saying it is best, but might be worth comparing.

Since MSFS VR depends heavily on your CPU, I’d suggest the I7-10700. It’s what I have along w RTX 3060ti + 32 GB DDR4. It’s runs really well but, like with all systems, will require some tweaking.

so you saying 3070 with ryzen 7 5600x is no good?

I’m assuming you mean Ryzen 7 5800x as per your previous post?

It’s subjective but if you’re question was “is anyone with this spec having a great time in VR”, then I am!

I’ll let others take up the intel vs ryzen argument, I use my PC for some work as well as flight simming and Ryzen suited my use case well.

Something to be aware of with this case with your chosen MoBo is that there isnt a USB C header for the front USB C port, only the USB A. You’ll either need to ditch the front usb C, use a different motherboard or buy these two adapters to get the port running at full speed with that mobo, but will use up your second large PCIE port just for one USB C port.

Just an FYI.

Edit: forgot the links

www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=906&area=en
www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=712&area=en

yeah sorry typo…
i am reading stuff on a facebook page and a guy is saying its needing tweaked big time to even get it to look anyway half decent.

This is the trouble I guess, it’s all so subjective - what is their idea of “half way decent” ?

BTW, have you watched VR Flight Sim Guy on youtube? I’d say I’m very similar to him with his expectations and enthusiasm for VR, and he was running a 1080 Ti! Albeit he’s now gone and bought a mega machine with a 3090 because he’s semi youtube famous now…

I’m happy I’ve bought a PC that fits my budget and I’m loving every second of VR.

I feel like its a ball of wool, the more you pick at it the more it unravels. Ultimately you have to decide what your minimum expectation of VR is, we can perhaps tell you if our systems are performing how you’d like yours to?

Take a look at these videos if you haven’t already.

The context is that with my 3070 I get performance about bang in the middle of his his 1080 and 3090 new york comparison.

very interesting and you can see some diff eh.

Very! It gets to a point where cost/value doesn’t make huge leaps any more, I was swayed by Ryzen for its power efficiency over Intel and more likely mobo forward compatibility. I’m mainly a Mac user for work (theatre sound industry is pretty much 100% Mac based software) so didn’t have any bias, and ryzen seemed a great all rounder.

All mission creep, “oooh but I could spend £50 more and get the next model up” etc etc and I’m awful at restraining myself! haha

i have gone full circle here and if i am honest don’t know if what I am getting is going to do the job. I want it to be immersive and give all who plays the sim on my machine as close to feeling they are circling the statue of liberty, or fly past my sis in law who live near the 02 in london…

i know there will be limitations and most will be bound by the sim itself, however, if any updates, want it to run as smooth as.

Ryzen 7 5800X paired with an RTX 3070 will be fine and a good set up. Just don’t expect to comfortably game at 4K with the 3070, it was designed more as a high end 1440p graphics card.

Your set up will be fine for VR too. You’ll hit the ground running with it anyway I’m sure. Just be prepared for the Quest 2 being a bit of a faff to set up. In a way you’re lucky getting it now though. There’s a ton of useful threads and info here on how to set it up best. Most of us are still on a bit of learning curve with the Quest 2 and the sim.

As Mobias says.

Not sure what else to tell you, you’ve got a budget, get the best for your money, is it not that simple?

2k is thereabouts for the spec, if you want to buy now and it’s in your budget, how quickly tech changes you can upgrade in a couple of years.