Spikes on Terrain and and Mesh Problems - Global

@mappamundi
Thank you for the fix, I along with many others I am sure cant say how much this is appreciated.

I am beginning to have a Love Hate feeling towards MSFS2020.

I love it when it is working correctly, it looks fantastic runs fantastic and provides a lot of fun.

I am beginning to hate it when I am forced through the mandatory update system to update a perfectly fine working sim and you simply don’t know what they may break.

For me, two of the so called updates have created major issues, The one that put skyscrapers all over the place and the last one which made all these spicks basically all over the world.

Thankfully, both were fixed, quickly by the community and the tall buildings was eventual fixed by Microsoft.

My concern is what will the next mandatory update break?

It would be great if Microsoft either did better Quality Control before releasing a Mandatory update or give users the option to not update if the sim is working fine.

I have submitted a ticket saying this.

These are my thoughts and again a BIG THANKS to mappamundi

Best wishes
Bob

3 Likes

This Aspen after 1.12.13.0 patch. Also the Leadville area.

In Minnesota

Just adding that I am also getting these spikes in the Toronto area. As others have mentioned, they seem to all have a small bit of water on top, and as you get close to them, they disappear.

Have not applied any mods to try and fix it yet. Presently have no scenery mods installed at all.

1 Like

Still getting bad spikes around CYKZ Buttonville Airport area in north Toronto after this mod. In fact there’s even more! Maxed the LOD to no avail.
I’m running a new build hi-end i7 10700 32g RTX 3080. Removed all free addons. I’m too tired after 2 months of all this amateur-style foolery from this developer. Shame on them $$
Tomorrow’s another day, of fresh-hell :rofl:

1 Like

I‘ve seen them in VR as well.

Can confirm spikes near EDLE, near river Ruhr. My home base actually in real life.

New years greetings from Meiringen and Interlaken in Switzerland!

Approaching the closed airport of Interlaken which is still active in the sim:

Circling east of Interlaken above the Brienzersee to show the spikes near Interlaken

On final for Meiringen. The spikes disappear if I get closer.

The spikes are aweful and disembellishing, luckily there are accomplished users who can produce and distribute mods. I am sure certain issues have been registered by Asobo and this sim is still a work in progress. Personally, I think that the previous update shouldn’t have been rushed through. I just completed a wonderful VFR flight from Peretola to the island of Elba and it was great. This simulator gives me experiences I never had before in flightsimming, the experience of actually being there almost. Faults in the scenery quickly spoil that magical touch, but this is still the most beautiful sim I have ever “played” with since I started using the MS flight simulator in 1996.

Look at the view of Firenze (Florence), one of the most beautiful cities I have ever visited, although Siena which sadly was not modeled in photogrammetry, is still my most favourite tuscan town. Look at how beautiful Firenze looks from 6000 feet around the dome and the river Arno from the left window of the Cessna.

Cheers, Marc

4 Likes

Its all beautiful “eye candy”, but again, what lies underneath is simply disastrous.
I can fly around in Google Earth with the same hi-res scenery, for free! :face_with_monocle:

Ok, I stopped flying for a couple of days because of the scenery spikes. Then, after taking off and seeing some of the spikes yesterday, I thought, Earth has been invaded by aliens - ROFL - and the spikes are really observation towers. Now I fly in that mind-set, and it works for me. Best to have your cup half full, not half empty. Cheers!

2 Likes

never saw those lakes frozen :joy: since the 50ties…

Good examples!

I would LOVE to know which programmer decided to put code into this product that would cause seemingly random spikes all over the earth. I would also love to know which project manager decided to let this just stay in the sim without an immediate hotfix. I once worked for a software company (support), and if such a disaster had been sent out (only happened once or twice in 5 years), there would have been an IMMEDIATE hotfix sent out to fix it. Shaking my head that Microsoft would allow this to just sit there and fester with their users.

9 Likes

And for releasing a big update just before the holidays, knowing they can’t support it in the coming days. Anyways, I think/hope it’s lesson learnt at this stage.

1 Like

In retrospect, if they had postponed their release before Christmas, I probably would not have bought my first VR headset, thus probably miss the wonderful and enlightening VR world for a few more years.

What I want to say is that Asobo and Microsoft may release VR update too soon, but with genuine good will and intention. To some degree, they risk their own reputation (and possible holidays off) just to make customers happy. That’s not an excuse, but can be a reason for our forgiveness.

1 Like

VR is just fantastic in MSFS 2020.

Glad to see they VR is fantastic but, is it really finished? or is another area of the sim in process, waiting to be finished in next updates.
What is the estimated percentage of VR users?. Does this justify freeze other items?

One more for the ticket: the North End of Lake Meredith also has the same issue:

Real (from Bing Maps):

MSFS:

VR in MSFS is far from well optimized or implemented, however VR is still something once you try you will be forever “enlightened” (just like people first tried 3D gaming in 3dfx). That’s why I now think maybe Adobo and Microsoft really wanted people to experience MSFS VR during holiday time (gears are on sale also), just like how I now want to persuade every friend to try VR asap.

Once tried, it’s the only way to experience flight without actually flying. What the future brings is going to be very interesting. I’ve been using VR in other flight sims for a while and I have never experienced Anyang a good as MSFS.