Spiky trees/flat buildings (Please help)

I recently purchased the sim in February once I completed my pc build. Since the day I bought it, I have ran the sim on high-with a few ultra settings. I have good frames (for me) and I don’t seem to have any stutters since the last patch.

Ever since the patch I have noticed (pictured below) everything looks dull. The trees look like spikes and the buildings are blurry to some being completely flat.

I have checked my settings and nothing changed after the patch. I don’t believe it to be a hardware issue because I am testing this in places I recently have flown and looked amazing at those times. If anyone has an idea about what’s going here I would appreciate the help. I Tried ignoring it but when flying and just seeing spiky trees and melted buildingS in the city all around is starting to get my attention more.

apologies on the grainy photo. Took with iphone

PC SPECS

CPU i7-8700
GPU RTX 3070
32g RAM
Installed on 1TB SSD

Hi there,

When you get the chance, please consider updating your topic’s title. Your title should be short, simple, and should allow users to understand the purpose of your topic without opening it.

Good titles are important as they improve the chance others will find your topic when using the search system, and when browsing through the topic feed.

You can change your topic title by clicking the pencil icon next to your topic title at the top of the thread.

Thank you.

You can take a screen shot with WindowsKey + Printscreen, it will be stored in your documents folder.

If there are flat (missing) buildings a good change is that something is wrong with autogen, you might be able to fix it by deleting fs-base and it will re-download on sim startup.

1 Like

I will give that a shot! So I just delete the “fs-base” file? I assume that is in the main directory where ever I installed MFS?
Sorry for the dumb question kinda new to all this.

Shouldn’t hurt to try!

Yes, the main folder.
**:\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Official\Onestore or
**:\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Official\Steam for Steam version.

It’s a 14.5GB download.

Thank you very much. One last question. With deleting this file will it hurt anything do you think? I assume not but just like to double check.

Hi @CraderBug,
Deleting them will requeue for download on MSFS launch. If you want, you can make a backup copy of that folder before deleting. I would doubt that is the issue, but worth a try!

Before you do this, try deleting the Rolling Cache in the data settings of MSFS. Also, if you have any manually cached areas, delete those too. After doing that, restart MSFS. Assure that Bing World Data & Photogrammetry is turned on in MSFS.

Hope this helps some!

1 Like

Thank you for the reply! I will definitely give those a shot. I have not cached any areas and I have rolling cache off currently.

Bing data and photogrammetry is on.

It’s just strange… before the Residential parts of the cites look detailed and crisp you could say. The trees through were normal looking as well. But as I said in the original post, there’s areas they are triangle shaped and buildings are flat until you begin flying that direction. I thought maybe internet speed but mine seems to be good (207 mpbs)

You could also try turning Photogrammetry off and see what it looks like (remember this global though). I also do get some areas with the melted buildings (New York City) but if I wait long enough for it to load in, then it gets cached, it’s all good again on next launch. Internet speed depends on the server, I have noticed. Sometimes it’s only downloading around 8Mbps for me even though my internet bandwidth is higher.

Try turning back on your cache… say around 8GB file. The developers recommend 8 to 32GB. But it’s a preference you can play and decided on. I keep mine at 8GB as I’m mostly flying the same areas all the time.

That makes sense! I will turn Rolling cache on and give that a try. I fly the same places but also like to explore new ones. Do you Think 16g would be a good spot.

My specs are

i7-8700
RTX3070
32g RAM
Installed on 1tb SSD

For a ballpark, if you fly low, a straight line over NY at terrain detail 200 uses about 1.7 GB of photogrammetry data. A straight line over London 4.5 GB of data.

London is the exception in the game, very dense unoptimized PG data. Other new PG areas included in WU3 are more dense than previous ones as well but London towers above all others. (The complete PG area of London on high detail is about 44 GB total)

16GB rolling cache will fit a couple of regular PG area.

You can turn the rolling cache off temporarily if you want to explore somewhere else without plans to come back. As long as you don’t delete the cache you can turn it back on later and all your previous routes are still in there.

The rolling cache will do nothing for a flight in a new area (unless you double back over terrain) but will store the new data after you move out of range pushing previous data out of the cache.

PG data is very cpu intensive and updates tend to fall behind if you fly low and fast. London can demand over 100 mbps when flying low, but also when it’s all in the rolling cache, the game has trouble keeping up getting it ready for the GPU.

Object level of detail determines how much the PG get gets simplified. Setting that high actually provides less work for the CPU (but more for the GPU) since the sim has less work making simpler (uglier, flat, spiky) versions of the PG data.

Terrain level of detail controls the draw distance. Lower values obviously reduce the draw distance, but give the sim more time to keep up so you don’t fly into areas with low and medium detail before the high detail data is ready. At 500 ft, 100 terrain is more than enough with high buildings obscuring the horizon and gives you better visuals overall. However at 2,000 ft (medium detail PG data) you might want higher draw distance.

It all depends on your CPU speed how fast you can fly over certain areas with flat buildings and spiky trees taking over. I can only go 40 knots at 500ft over London without it slowly turning into a nuclear wasteland. (2.2 ghz cpu) I don’t think even the fastest CPU available atm can keep up with airliner speed approaches over London.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the reply and breaking it down for me! That definitely helps a ton. I think I’ll set it 16gb. I don’t think I will do too much low flying over a bunch of various dense cites. Mainly airliners straight over or landing Into them.

I think with vanilla Data settings When I downloaded the sim the rolling cache was defaulted “on” but set at 0gb. I don’t recall a number there. If was set/left at zero would that even change much or does one need to set GB amount of it is turned on?

I think the default was 8GB at launch, which is fine if you have PG data turned off but rather low otherwise. Without PG data those straight line (terrain 200) test flights over NY and London only used 300 MB of data.

Better set a value so you know how big it is. And don’t forget to delete it after a world update or old data will interfere with new. It should be fine if you were never near the updated areas but you never know what else Asobo updated on the server side. Bing maps are not static after all. The sim uses a copy of Bing maps with Blackshark AI applied, but I assume the copy gets refreshed now and then. (In some places Bing maps is ahead of the data in the sim)

1 Like

That makes sense. I appreciate all your help. I am unable to use the sim today due to work, but tomorrow I plan on turning rolling cache on and setting it.

I’ll report back and let you know!

1 Like

After turning rolling cache back on and setting a limit it seems to look a lot better. Unfortunately there still is a very low draw distance from the last patch.