SR22 Prop Speed Defect

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

I don’t have any mods or addons.

Brief description of the issue:

The defect is the SR22’s refusal to reduce engine RPM on reaching altitude when reducing engine power for the cruise phase of flight is required. In the real world, SR22 pilots are trained to climb to cruise altitude at full power which will produce a prop speed of 2,700 rpm. On attaining cruise altitude and accelerating to cruise speed (roughly 170 KTAS) an SR22 pilot is trained to throttle back to 2,500 rpm. There is no independent propellor speed control in the SR22 as the prop speed is integrated with the throttle. Interestingly, the current version of the MSFS 2020 SR22 will correctly reduce prop speed on the ground, but not in the air. If I hold the brakes on the ground and run the SR22 to full power and then throttle back the SR22 will correctly reduce rpm as the throttle is reduced. It doesn’t work that way in flight. When airborne, the rpms remain at 2,700 until the throttle is pulled nearly back to idle. When doing this, the simulated engine sounds are unaltered so the aircraft sounds the same at 21 percent power as it does at full power which is deeply disturbing because engine sounds are integral to the pilot’s situational awareness. As one would expect, keeping the rpms at 2,700 at nearly the full range of throttle positions also makes it difficult to slow the airspeed when descending. All of this ruins the flight experience.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Shortly after takeoff and climbing. Throttle full and rpm is correct at 2,700

On the step at 7,000 feet altitude and throttle pulled back to 65 percent power. This should have reduced the rpms but it did not.

Reduced throttle to 21 percent power and rpms remain incorrect at 2,700.

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

The description of the issue contains the detailed steps to reproduce. Just fly the SR22 to cruise altitude and then reduce throttle and watch the prop speed (rpms).

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

My PC is a high end Velocity Micro that can run MSFS 2020 with all settings at Ultra.

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

I don’t recall the build version when this happened but it was associated with the developers tweak that increased engine power from the under-powered SR20 engine to the appropriate SR22 engine.

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

The issue occurs exactly as the original poster describes

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Same issue here on Xbox in latest beta build.

RPM remains high when reducing throttle, if I reduce throttle to zero it remains high still, after about 30-40 secs it seems to suddenly start to reduce rpm.

Same as on all the Diamond aircraft they bungled all the FADEC. The power/RPM is no where close to the tables that are in the PoH for these aircraft.

Why they need to be covers by one of the AAU’s. These Have been reported from day 1.

1 Like

That’s annoying then.

Hope this gets fixed in next update, I was particularly enjoying flying the Cirrus, until I encountered this issue.
Back to 172 for now.

Does anyone know if this throttle issue ever got fixed?

Ive not got around to testing it myself yet.

The throttle issue (prop speed defect) is not fixed as of today after another massive update. The developers devoted a lot of resources to a lot of non-essential items but no resources to the currently idiotic rendering of the Asobo SR22.

Numerous updates, including a huge update today (March 21, 2023), have occurred since my October 2022 post on the SR22 prop speed defect. These updates include updates that post-date numerous examples of other pilots verifying that the prop speed defect occurs exactly as my October 2022 post documented. The prop speed defect is somewhere in the secret code that only Asobo developers can access for the SR22 as all the underlying code is encrypted to us, the users who paid for the software. My post that documented this defect are clues that should take a developer directly to the underlying code that is causing the defect and it can’t be that difficult to correct. The prop speed works perfectly on a ground run-up at full power. The prop speed fails to follow the same downward curve as power is reduced in flight. So, in one context the prop speed works exactly correctly and in another it is totally broken. After years of writing code using C++ and having to fix my own defective code it just doesn’t seem as if this should be so difficult. Of course, the developers spend far more time on elements of the software that are purely cosmetic that there is little developer time available to address issues with the flight model of the aircraft for which we paid extra when we purchased the Deluxe and Premium upgrades.

Here is a marketing message that remains posted by Microsoft even today under the Standard, Deluxe, and Premium versions of the software:

From light planes to wide-body jets, fly highly detailed and accurate
         aircraft in the next generation of Microsoft Flight Simulator.

This is a joke, at least for SR22 pilots, as the SR22 is neither highly detailed and the flight model is not accurate. FSX was rock solid. When I was flying FSX I was also flying a real SR22 G2. My FSX SR22 performed identically to my real airplane. I have 1,000 hours flying IFR in a real normally aspirated SR22 so I would know. The MSFS 2020 Asobo version of the SR22 is pathetic due almost entirely to the prop speed defect. We can have a willing suspension of disbelief with other defects such as the Garmin G1000 avionics in what is obviously a G2 version of the SR22. The G2 version used Avidyne avionics. Garmin avionics were introduced in the G3 version. The developers spend enormous amounts of time addressing scenery and the idiotic “World Updates” but can’t seem to get the flight model right. FSX had the flight model right. When I purchases MSFS 2020 I foolishly expected the SR22 found in the Premium Deluxe upgrade to function in flight as well as the FSX SR22. Not only does the Asobo SR22 have the prop speed defect and Garmin avionics in a G2 version, but the Garmin G1000 in the Asobo SR22 are not nearly as good as the FSX after-market avionics and autopilot, e.g., the Garmin 430/530.

The problem is that Microsoft and Asobo and whoever else is involved with MSFS 2020 believe it is a video game, not a flight simulator. FSX was a serious flight simulator. I once completed an ILS landing at Portland Maine in my real SR22 at night in IMC after ATC kept me too high for too long. On my decent the approach controller asked me if I could get down to join the localizer at the prescribed altitude and offered to let me circle. I knew the capabilities of my airplane and had practiced this situation in FSX. I hand-flew the entire approach, didn’t need to circle to shed altitude, and landed safely with 300 ft ceiling and about ½ mile visibility. Unfortunately, I couldn’t officially log my FSX simulated flight time but the experience was good enough that I might as well have been flying a certificated simulator. If all I had was MSFS 2020, I likely would have crashed that night.

After retiring and selling my real SR22 I stumbled across the MSFS 2020 software release, found the SR22 in the Premium Deluxe upgrade and immediately purchased a very expensive high-end computer as well as expensive 48” wide, curved monitor. The computer works great. The monitor is awesome. There was good reason for me to expect that MSFS 2020 would exceed or at least meet the quality of FSX but, sadly, MSFS 2020 is a joke, at least for those of us that want to have a reality-based simulation for the SR22.

1 Like

I think that they think that mean’s that most models have a wing on BOTH sides!

Still nothing. She still stays at 2700 no matter what.

has anyone been able to correct this? My dad claims his sr22 does not do this, i’m headed to his house to verify. I see no way to fly this plane if i can’t slow it down. 9% power I couldn’t drop this thing out of the sky if i wanted to

Report closed because this Original Post referred to the pre-SU14 SR22.