Black Square Steam Gauge Overhaul - Cessna 208B Caravan

Well I picked this up earlier. So far it has CTD on me twice in a row when trying to load in. Anyone else having consistent CTD’s with it?

2 Likes

After the last SU 10 beta update, it’s actually very rare, but it does happen… but I don’t think it has anything to do with the mod, because I fly a lot of different aircraft and that’s exactly how it happens - fortunately very rarely!

They posted the manual for the 350, I am not sure if someone has shared it yet. It is at the bottom of the text on their page Just Flight - Steam Gauge Overhaul - Analog King Air I am not going to directly link to the manual as it is inherently copyrighted even if they don’t have any markings in the document.

Reviewing the document there are numerous differences between their version and a real-life King Air 350. I am not sure if these are intentional simisms or unintentional. Mostly stuff that only a real-world type rated King Air 300/350 pilots would even notice. But, at least they provide a manual.

1 Like

On SU9 or on SU10 beta?
I’m on SU9 and it’s working ok, though I haven’t done any LONG flights with it yet.
Mine is running with the PMS GTN750, and JayDees improvement mod (without the no pod): ANALOG CARAVAN - Improvement Mod » Microsoft Flight Simulator

1 Like

SU9. I have the TDS 750nxi. I managed to successfully complete a flight so it must’ve just been one of those things. I’ll see what happens on the next one.

I’m glad they’re releasing an update to the default sounds. They’re awful. This is a powerful turboprop, and Asobo have made it sound like a hoover.

hey, l had 0 problem until this week when l realized some airport make my sim CTD, made a post about this https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/analog-caravan-ctd/
at start l thought it was localisation bug, then tried mod 1 by 1 to figure out it was the analog :cry:

Great mod, I think it’s worth the price although I would’ve liked to see doors opening (hahahaha, roflol). No, worth every Eurocent as they keep devaluating day by day. I used to fly the Ex-Mod more than 90% of the time but now I’m getting very attached to the Black Square caravan. Last flights were all in this caravan. Would like to see more liveries.

4 Likes

It’s due an update any time now I believe I reported CTDs a little while back just eagerly waiting an update before I take it up again.

1 Like

I’ve had another CTD today. It doesn’t seem to want to play nice. Maybe it doesn’t like the 750nxi. Who knows. Wonder how many people have experienced CTD’s with it though.

Quite a few recently. I even got it to a point where I had a waypoint to fly to that caused a CTD repeatedly. I tried the same route in different planes with different results, both with, and without addon GPS installed.

The next day, nothing. It’s really frustrating. I had broken a rule of mine recently, and that was to never have the 530, and 750 addons loaded at the same time, and certainly not in a plane that can use both.

1 Like

I also had two CTDs recently with Caravan. I rarely ever had CTDs in MSFS at all, actually only two times. Once when I used IFT F35 just after release when they had a bunch of bugs and another time when I started 414 Chancellor with TDS750 “livery” while not having TDS installed.

When CTD happens is there any debug package that can be sent do developer to help him find the root cause?

Windows event viewer, I think.

I’m in the same boat too. I very rarely have any CTD’s.

@PluckyUnderdog did you read my thread l posted early ? l fixed some analog caravan CTD l had ( Analog caravan & CTD ) but still got a airport crashing it s may be another cause

I don’t use the rolling cache at all, as that was suspected to be a cause of CTD, but I think only relevant if replying an area after a sim or world update. Something about the new streamed terrain not matching that in the cache.

I haven’t used that feature in about 18 months I think.

I had a flurry of CTDs last week mostly with the Kodiak because I was flying it so much, but also with the 310R and 414AW. Always when landing. Just at the same point when crossing the runway threshold there would be a brief freeze then CTD.

Happened in VR, pancake mode, with or without the TDS 750, FS Realistic or Atc Chatter. Checked all my drivers and only one (Nvidia) needed and upgrade. I also validated my Steam local files. Seems to have fixed it for me (for now). I still get that slight hesitation when crossing the threshold but it then continues. I also use manual caching at high detail and rolling cache.

Windows event viewer showed a warning and and error for every crash with not a lot of specific info.

1 Like

Regarding the Caravan, and prop feathering, has anyone had any luck with this?

For me, for all other planes this works well enough, and consistently:

Essentially, 0 is full fine, and 100 is all the way into feather. When SPAD detects the lever is all the way aft, it decrements the prop lever position to -25, which is impossible with the axis as currently allowed by Asobo as it can only go to 0.

This works in the un-modded Caravan, Kodiak, the Twin Otter etc.

However for some reason it does not work in the Black Square Caravan.

What I came up with instead was this, which probably only works 1-2 times in 10.

It seems arbitrary but that really is the number that the prop pitch is set to when manually dragged to full feather. As I say it inconsistently works.

At first I thought it was the trigger, so I instead picked something obvious like the parking brake. However that works 100% of the time. Bringing the prop lever back to feather it brings on the parking brake, and acts as a toggle.

1 Like

I am spending a lot of time in the Caravan since it went clockwork and love it. I have only tried the NoPod version twice, but on both occasions it seems that there are visual artifacts that appear to be looking out from a virtual pilot head or something. Maybe a pair of shades and the end of a boom mic (but that is only a guess) Nonetheless, I would like to get rid of it. Any ideas? Nothing tricksy at my end other than the Tobii Eye Tracker. Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Edit… Yup! Just reloaded it and there is indeed a virtual pilot and copilot which dont vanish if you reduce the relevant weight to zero in the panel. Before, I hadnt seen these, but now that Tobii works a treat, I would LOVE to get rid of them as well as any other organic freight.

I think a lot of it is tied to the mood that the Microsoft servers are in on that day, frankly.

Clear your directx cache using windows cleanup utility, delete your rolling cache and restart your PC.

Also check for model.lib and material.lib conflicts within your scenery mods. Those are big CTD causers. I can’t stress how overlooked those are and I’m noticing that not a lot of people are even aware of them or take the steps to resolve them.

Slow servers won’t lead to CTD most of the times, the worst they do is crumble your FPS to single digits.

I use Axis and Ohs rather than Spad and has the ‘button’ under the detent on my Bravo throttle axis mapped to “decrease prop”. Seems to work consistently for prop feathering.

1 Like