Black Square Steam Gauge Overhaul - Cessna 208B Caravan

Have you tried the same approach without the mods? Same result?

1 Like

Not yet. But I wll later.I do not have any ctd for long time. Lets see

Can someone confirm I’m interpreting correctly: apart from the Heading mode, the Analog currently has no other lateral guidance autopilot modes? I.e turning on Nav has no effect?

The HSI gives guidance, but you have to manually manipulate the autopilot in Heading mode?

@CptnDoppie Autopilot can follow NAV1 VORs or GPS. It only has no effect on the KNS80 as far as I know, cause that is programmed as NAV 3 and NAV 4 and that doesnt the AP understand at the moment.

1 Like

Hmmmm. I have a problem in that having succumbed and purchased, the program will not install to a Win 11/12900K DDR5 machine. It seems Bitdefender blocks it, but after shutting that down and trying to reinstall a fresh downloaded copy from JF it still refuses to install and stops almost immediately. Anybody had similar issues or thoughts on how to fix? I have tried fhe usual methods and am on the cusp of talking to JF but if you can beat them to the punch, I would really appreciate it. Not at the PC now until at least tomorrow I am afraid.

Administrator mode/rights?

1 Like

Yup! Done that :slight_smile:

Controlled folder access? The way it works if you have this turned on, is it stops changes to folders you have selected unless you give access to that folder to whatever app/software you’re trying to use

1 Like

So, if I have a flight plan in the PMS750, CDI to GPS, slap the autopilot in Nav, it’s should all Just Work? :slight_smile:

@CptnDoppie Yes and theres is one more switch - HSI Source that one has to be in NAV1 for this.

2 Likes

Hello all,
I made a graphical updated checklist for the BlackSquare Analog Caravan. It’s intended to work like a “flipchart”. On the title page I put some marks where to punch the holes with a office perforator (sorry don’t know the exact english word for that machine) To assemble it, print it out on some stronger paper,
cut every page at the cutting marks, sort everything, and punch em all. Use something to hold the pages together. Enjoy! :slight_smile:

If you find any errors or have suggestions, let me know! English is not my native language.

Here is the link to the updated checklist: BlackSquare Analog Caravan Checklist Version 1.0.pdf

If you want to send it to an online printer and let it assemble like a spiral book (spirals intended to be on top then),
here’s a version without the marked punching holes → No punching holes

preview

Cheers, Tom

Edit: Updated links to corrected version. Found some errors.

16 Likes

ll add the price is 25 € not 34 …
(edit : my bad , he was speaking about the king air… )

I paid £22 and I feel like I got a whole new aircraft. I’m very pleased with it.

And yes, I do wish windows and doors would open, but I understand the reasons they don’t, and honestly it’s fine. For me, those are niceties, not must-haves. It flies like a dream.

5 Likes

GREAT Work!!!

Please also for the G1000- Version :kissing_heart::grin:

@DAQUA3828 are you talking about the stock Asobo Caravan G1000? You dont need a checklist for that one, just push “Start engine” and “Take me to destination” button and enjoy your trip :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I made this checklist for the BlackSquare Analog Caravan because there is SOOO much more simulated stuff than the original Asobo one. And with @JayDee6281’s improvement mod it gets even better!

Cheers, Tom

1 Like

Just FYI: PMS has said he is working on a WTT package for the PMS GTN750 in the steam gauge Caravan. This will be another big improvement.

2 Likes

Further report and update on my installation issues and a heads up to those using Bitdefender.

Turns out that the Caravan upgrade is NOT liked by Bitdefender. This reported an infection issue and the install stopped almost immediately. Obviously checked the download on another non Bitdefender machine and then worked on the basis of shutting BD down for the install.

Temporarily disabling Bitdefender is a nightmare, with around 15 steps to take to ensure that it is fully disabled. Google it if you need to follow my path, but it is unfriendly and the most ham fisted way of working that I can remember with an AV program. Obviously they want you to think twice or even thrice before doing this. Re enabling and based on my own experience, I would refer back to the googled shutdown instructions and retracing every step from there.

Anyway… After all this, the installation worked and I now have a Clockwork Caravan.

It might be quicker to load Windows into Safe Mode, run the install there, then reboot normally. That’s only one change.

2 Likes

Thanks H. I used to be on top of these things, but changes, updates, life and work conspire to keep my PC time to an emergency bootup, quick fling of the switches, brisk takeoff and either CTD or home for tea and medals ( deeply ironic on that last one)

I am still horrified that Bitdefender is so… difficult. I wish I were back on Kaspersky like mad, but maybe not quite at the moment.

Thanks again and as ever for your unfailing helpfullness.

PS I only managed a very quick flight in the clockwork Caravan, but I love it. Wish they would release not only the Kingair, but the Baron as well.

2 Likes

So what’s the consensus on this Grand Caravan mod now that the hype-dust has settled a bit?

Flight model: were the changes made really for the better? I read earlier that it looked like tiny changes were made to some (most) parameters just for the sake of changing values to be different to stock, but the change was often so tiny it would make no perceptible difference.

And that power was in fact too high now, so it can take off after a MUCH too short roll, and the lift speed was unrealistically low also. Is this (still) the case? Have there or will there be any further official updates / improvements to this area? Maybe after their King Air is released (soon)?

The description says changes were made based on operator feedback online. Is that meaning operators of the real Grand Caravan? Seems a bit vague. If Kevin in his bedroom has stated “as fact” this or that is wrong etc, did they simply believe him because he’s “online” so clearly knows what he’s talking about? :stuck_out_tongue:

CFD: is it enabled on this aircraft? I don’t think Asobo have yet but guess they will eventually. What happens to this mod after that?!

Simply, along with the point about flight dynamics, does this plane “feel” good and alive or is it a bit on rails like most of the default Asobo planes when compared to the night and day difference you sense within mere moments of your first take-off in a properly researched and professionally created 3rd party plane?

Ground handling: the description says “improved ground handing”. How is it really? Compared to the vanilla C208. I mean I think the vanilla, as it’s a basic Asobo plane designed for casual players etc, does behave itself in taxiing movements and take-off / landing - but that may be also quite false and over simplified as it’s for casual users of the base game?

Audio: any changes to the sound effects? The description says it’s using default Wwise sounds but goes on to say “Detailed physics-based effects on engine and wind noise”. So is this something they have added on top? I don’t think I was really blown away by the default engine sounds - passable (and maybe realistic) but compared to the better payware it never really slaps you in the face (like the MilViz C310R for example).

Liveries: It says all ”default” liveries are all compatible. Does that mean any already downloaded / available for the Asobo plane from FS.to will also work? How? Because I thought installing this mod creates a separate plane in the hangar, so how do the liveries get associated?

The description on the JF sales page to be honest has a lot of words and is quite clear what you get on some of it, but pretty murky when it comes to other important factors for what is a pretty expensive “mod” without all the extra work required to create a plane from scratch.

Having said that, the package looks interesting to me and if it “feels good”, and behaves in a physically more accurate way to the real thing, I’m tempted to get it for that experience, the interesting way they implemented failures and the bouncing needles lol.

Sorry for the long post - didn’t expect it to be this long. If you got this far, thanks and I look forward to your comments hahah

4 Likes