Still NO Adverse Yaw Effect on C152 and C172

How do I vote for this? I definitely want this addressed.

there is a blue ‘vote’ button on the top left of the opening post.

3 Likes

Voted! Thank you.

1 Like

Anyone can alter this effect to their own liking, in the flight_model.cfg file, in the [AERODYNAMICS] section.

yaw_moment_delta_aileron = 0.002 ; (adverse yaw) The change in yaw moment per change aileron deflection

The only time I’ve used the rudder in this sim is to steer on takeoff.

@EvidencePlz and @hobanagerik mentioned this parameter above – I tried editing it and didn’t notice any difference. Were you able to make edits that resulted in noticeable differences to aircraft behavior? Even at high values (e.g. 3), it still felt like the aircraft was on rails in the yaw axis, as if there was some auto-rudder or other artificial yaw stability enabled.

Yes, the value needs to be negative and it only works with the legacy flight model. As far as I can tell, the sim needs to be rebooted to test any changes. Nothing I tried in the sim worked, such as reloading in dev mode, or switching aircraft back and forth in dev mode, or changing flight model back and forth, or reloading a flight from the main menu. I ended up rebooting the sim. Try a value of -0.4 to -0.5 to start and go from there. The other issue is that the stability is too strong and the controls too sensitive, so it will still be almost impossible to coordinate smoothly anyway.

The legacy flight model???
I don’t think that anybody would want to work with the old FSX FDE on a brand new sim with advanced aerodynamics.

You’re right, but there are problems with the “modern” flight model as well. I need to test further to prove, but I think it has to do with not correcting 2d lift slopes for aspect ratio and sweep, thus the over-sensitivity and stability. It’s going to take a bunch of time to figure out which parameters are for the legacy model and which are for the modern and if any are for both. The flight model is in no man’s land right now. The idea that they’ve tried to make the legacy to match the modern is a definite improvement over FSX though and so it’s not so bad.

I do think adverse yaw is simulted, not sure if it is accurately simulated though, I haven’t flown any single engine piston is a long time. The thing is, in your video you are trying to show adverse yaw flying at relatively high speed at which adverse yaw is not very profound. Try the same close to stall speed, as on the real aircraft the adverse yaw effect increases at lower airspeed. Also the adverse yaw is mainly present when rolling into or out of a turn, as adverse yaw is depending primarily on aileron deflection it will dissipate as soon as the ailerons are (close to) centererd ones stabilized in a turn. When stabilized in a turn the difference in velocity of the inner and outer wing cause a small difference in lift and hence induced drag, and depending on the direction of turn the slipstream effect will either add to or compensate this effect. I think a bigger problem is the absence of propeller effects in FS2020 as slipstream effect, P-factor, propeller drag and gyroscopic effect.

If it’s simulated, you definitely can’t see the effect. I tried again flying 75kts with the C152. I picked a heading, flew it and made some turns. The plane doesn’t seem to be affected by adverse yaw. The visual clue you would get from the nose turns briefly in the opposite direction is simply not there. From level flight I then bank either to the right or left but the nose is definitely not experiencing being dragged in the opposite direction for a short moment. The heading doesn’t change at all in the moment of banking in, before it turns the direction you want it to.

1 Like

It does at low speed with large aileron deflections it definitely does show some adverse yaw. I haven’t flow much Cessna and not anything single engine piston like recently so I don’t know how accurate it is. I do remember on the Socata TB-9/10/20s the adverse yaw wasn’t very noticeable until at low speed. Which would make sense on the Cessna as well, it has “frise” ailerons to counter adverse yaw calibrated for cruise speed, anything above or below cruise speed it should become too effective or not effective enough, large abrupt deflections should definitely show some adverse yaw no matter the speed. But again, my single engine piston days are long gone.

1 Like

Hmm…that’s why I tested it at 75kts. The C152 has a cruise speed of approx. 100-105kts. Maybe my deflections weren’t large enough, given that the control sensitivity is quite sensitive. However, the nose didn’t move by a fraction.

1 Like

How do you know that adverse yaw is simulated in MSFS2020? and why do you thing it is not profound in high speed?

The adverse yaw is critical in low speed i.e., high lift-coefficient (CL) but it is not mean it is not very profound in high speed!

The aircraft aerodynamic yawing moment depends on following factors.

• Angle of slideslip
  • Angle of attack
  • Mach number and Reynolds number
  • Deflection of directional control surface(s)
  • Deflection of lateral control surfaces(s)
  • Moment reference center (usually the c.g.) location.

These factors might or might not be fully simulated in the MSFS2020.

It is one of the factors of aircraft aerodynamic yawing moment namely Aileron Yawing Moment caused by it’s coefficient, and I know that conventional ailerons create a negative (called adverse) yawing moment.

As you mentioned, the differential induced drag tends to yaw an airplane out of an intended turn. This initial tendency is not visible at all in the current version of MSFS2020 in C152 and C172.

The aircraft configuration have more influence in this effect since induced drag is more effect by Aspect Ratio. Regardless of the aircraft speed it should have this effect, that’s why this effect is much more visible in gliders without an engine.

P-factor, propeller drag and gyroscopic effect with engine configuration are beyond the scope of this topic.

The only adverse yaw noticeable in FS2020 is adverse yaw due to control surface deflection, at low speed giving aburpt and / or full aileron deflection adverse yaw is definitely noticeable. I agree in normal flight its not noticeable, just as so many other effects are missing.

Yes you are right about adverse yaw at high speed, there is however one effect which you forgot to take into account, namely the directional stability of an aircraft increases with increasing speed. Also at higher speed the rate of turn decreases which decreases the relative difference in velocity between the inner and outer wing and thereby the difference in lift, so difference in induced drag is smaller and thereby adverse yaw is less. Combined with higher directional stability, adverse yaw reduces with increasing speed.

The CL / CD curve is much flatter on a high aspect ratio wing which by itself should reduce the adverse yawing effect. My assumption is that the longer arm between the ailerons and the centerline of the aircraft cause an increased yawing moment on high aspect ratio aircraft. It is thus more a function of wingspan, but of course a larger wingspan causes a higher aspect ratio (assuming the same chord) so indirectly higher aspect ratio might cause more adverse yaw.

P-factor and slipstream effect are very applicable to this topic. Depending on the direction of turn, slipstream effect (and to a much lesser degree P-factor if at high angle of attack) either compensate partly for the adverse yaw or intensifies it.

2 Likes

In my opinion, I have not noticed any adverse yaw effect in low speed either. I have tested with various conditions still I can’t not see the effect with even with full aileron deflection in C152 and C172. Nevertheless, nobody wants to make a final turn at stall speed right. So it should be fixed in normal flight conditions order to fly the aircraft correctly that’s why I made this thread from aircraft to bugs and fixes so you guys can vote. My intention is to prevent misconception so that new comers does not learn to fly incorrectly in this sim.

Maybe this discussion goes to more general aircraft mechanics with stability and control. But I agree that directional stability will increase with speed but we are not talking about F-16 we are talking about C152. Also If you look closer on the video I fly the aircraft with same condition with same airspeed. So I don’t think speed is having big influence in this topic.

P-factor, propeller drag and gyroscopic effect with engine configuration are beyond the scope of this topic

What I mean from the statement above is that these factors will makes things more complected in this topic. Since they have already fixed the p-factor in all aircraft in previous alpha versions.

Bump for this thread. Still think this is a huge flight dynamics issue.

7 Likes

Agreed. In other aspects, the flight model has improved significantly from earlier versions of the franchise, but the odd artificial yaw stability is a regression that makes the airplanes feel like they’re on rails more than ever. This is an issue across the board, not just for the 152 and 172 mentioned in the thread title.

2 Likes

I agree. Better than before, but still not as good as it should be. The default XP C172 is where it needs to be.

1 Like

I feel the exact same way. Also the new Carenado payware has the same issue. I know Carenado planes are not supposed to be good but I don’t remember using their planes with no adverse yaw in previous gen sims.
I feel like only maybe the DR400 is behaving slightly better.

1 Like