Still NO Adverse Yaw Effect on C152 and C172

I know some people need proof , today I went out and made 2 videos especially for you guys.
One with with rudder , the other one without rudder.
I’m not saying wich one had rudder.

credit : me.

2 Likes

Top one had rudder. In the bottom one, I saw the nose slip to the left as you initiated the right turn.

Do I win a cookie? :wink:

2 Likes

overall , the best flight model so far is the a2a on FSX.
followed by fsx BASE plane.
flight simulator 2020 should be called, Flight GAME 2020 if you ask me.

5 Likes

xplane does a very good job of simulating this IMO. Both cases look just like @anon85311196 IRL videos when in-sim

3 Likes

in fact, the sim at my school uses xplane, much more configuration possibilitys as well

Top one had proper rudder input. Bottom one didn’t. Correct?

Exactly.
The nose swing to the left is a slip caused by the left aileron ‘inducing’ drag as it is generating lift to make the turn. Obviously add the fact there is a rotating engine/propeller with gyroscopic forces too + the plane wanting to go straight.

2 Likes

well,
You see me very surprised, they seem to have fixed it O.O
Now if they could fix the torque effect on cambered flights(slow flying mostly) , that would help too.

Who seems to have fixed it?

Good question. I’m wondering too. What’s been fixed?

Wow this is incredible source! As an aeronautical engineer I know this phenomenon occurs in every flight regardless of it’s flight condition and configuration. Thanks for sharing this video. Can I use your videos to provide further visual details about adverse yaw effect in this post? Thanks again.

1 Like

If you really want to visualise adverse yaw, fly close to the stall speed and give large alternating aileron input. You will see the nose yaw all over the place with little roll. The aircraft is designed to cancel out most of the adverse yaw at the speed this video was taken.

1 Like

This is one reason they teach you – and demonstrate – slow flight characteristics. New pilots do not properly correct for sharp turns to final and stall or spin the aircraft.

Has anybody played around with accelerated stalls? We know adverse yaw isn’t right, but what about AOA in a turn?

Not entirely true, I was going around 80 knots, the plane is configured to balance out at cruise speed wich in my POH is said to be 107 knots at 75% power at 8000 alt pressure. XPLANE7878427 please do, my hope in any case is the simulator to become as close to reality as possible. If you have any question/request feel free. Yeti64 I tried spin with the game 152, worked (kinda) but not even close to a flat spin, full rudder and aileron into the spin does it and you can hear the stall buzzer…

1 Like

Well I tried to stall the aircraft, keep the elevator full up and steer with ailerons. You can fly all the way to the ground in a controlled manner using ailerons. Even rocking the wings using full aileron deflection does not exceed the local angle of attack. Basically it is not possible to create a wing drop using ailerons in MSFS. With a little bit of power on it creates loads of torque and you won’t manage to do the above so try it with power off and you will know what I mean…

I’m not impressed by the MSFS flight model, no adverse yaw, unrealistic stall characteristics, no propeller slipstream effect or prop. drag.

let alone center of gravity effects…

As I said in another thread, I’m not really hoping for Asobo to come up with realistic flight models. The default planes fly good enough for Xbox gamers and non-pilots – although my hope is that non-pilots are getting hooked into becoming real pilots!

I would be happy if Asobo put the necessary flight model control mechanisms in place and exposed them via WASM and SimConnect so that third party vendors can give us the realistic planes and systems we’re looking for.

I’ve done everything I know how to do to positively influence that outcome. I did, however, get some funny looks from the neighbors in my gym shorts and feathers, sticking pins in a voodoo doll, and sacrificing a bucket of KFC – I couldn’t bring myself to kill a live chicken.

B

1 Like

for fun , here is a real spin. January 13, 2021 - YouTube
credit : me

Another test about the spins,
I kept full ailerons and rudder , at about 1 or 2 spins I gave power to worsen the spin

here is a spin with full forward center of gravity

this one was with the gravity center aft as possible (the game wont let you go further then center tho)

There is clearly a lost of control there . (something is missing tho)

FYI , if you ever get into a spin with a 152 cessna as said in POH

1 - Verify Ailerons are Neutral and throttle is in idle
2 - Apply and hold full rudder opposite to the direction of rotation
3 - Just after the rudder reaches the stop, move the control wheel briskly forward enough to break the stall.(Full down elevator may be required at aft center of gravity loading to assure optimum recoveries.
4 - Hold these control inputs until rotation stops. Premature relaxation of the control inputs may extend recovery.
5 - As rotation stops, neutralize rudder, and make a smooth recovery from the resulting dive.

1 Like

A video demonstrating this. The student makes a better effort on his second attempt.

My understanding was that you should use rudder to arrest the spin, and keep the ailerons neutral. In your video I noticed you gave full right aileron during recovery, and full left to enter the spin.

In the IRL video, no aileron input was needed to either enter the spin, or to recover, and he only used his finger tips to pull back once their airspeed recovered. No white knuckles there!