Still NO Adverse Yaw Effect on C152 and C172

On the Socata’s I have flown the engine itself was placed offset, looks really weird when looking at the aircraft from above:

Capture

But yes it is calibrated to cancel out the slipstream effect at cruise speed and cruise power, during take-off at low speed and high power it won’t help much.

would you respect me more if I told you I studied engineering at university, and I built from scratch a wind tunnel as a side job far that very same university (with solidworks) I did only the conception job tho…
Point is, i’m a student, not an idiot.

1 Like

me to my buddys at school : bro ima pass you from atop to take a picture of the engine offset hahaha

Well I’ve flown with first officers straight out of flight school which performed better (and know more) compared to captains with thousands of hours, not having a clue what they are talking about. Experience does not have to mean anything, definitely not with respect to theoretical knowledge…

2 Likes

I want to add something to this, Keeping your mouth shut just because someone is believed to know more, is a very good way not to learn something of value. I do appreciate your contribution too.

Respect is earned, not given. In science, there are people called for example “theoretical physicists” and “applied physicists”. What’s the distinction? Theoretical means theories that may or may not be born out during application.

When you tell someone “you’re wrong” – you better be right, especially when talking to someone with Ninja’s applied experience. I appreciate that you might have a deeper theoretical understanding, but I’ve trained myself never to use “always”, “never”, “impossible”, and other absolute terms with great care. It might just be me, but it seems like every time I use one, I get burnt.

As a trained engineer in the physical scientists, you certainly know that scientific observations depend on a frame of reference. Maybe I might want to argue that it’s the Earth pushing up again an aircraft’s wheel that ultimately causes roll – or something crazy like that. Am I flat wrong? No.

You’ll earn my respect by demonstrated knowledge and skill at conveying that knowledge in a way that helps people absorb it, or by stimulating debate on the subject. Showing disrespect to someone with so much knowledge and experience automatically puts you on the wrong side of my Respect Ledger.

And by the way, if I show disrespect to Ninja at times, it’s either because I earned the right to do so, or I’m just an idiot and he already knows that. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

To give you an example, I have been in the simulator once with a first officer with double the amount of hours compared to me including loads of hours as captain in previous company (somewhere in India or Africa). I really thought that he should be in the left seat instead of me with all that experience, until we stepped into the simulator and started the session, I found out pretty quickly why he was on the right seat. His performance did not match with his level of experience to put it that way. So yes the amount of hours you have doesn’t mean all that much. Attitude and motivation is far more important IMO.

Its important to understand both in the cockpit and outside:

Because you are 100% sure about something does not mean that you are right.

I have been 100% sure about something so many times and proven wrong :joy:, its important to have an open mind and not be influenced by “confirmation bias”.

But we are pulling this thread off-topic completely now.

2 Likes

So I normally would’ve know all about the respect to give him by reading his profile? :wink:
Respect has different meaning in different parts of this world, keep an open mind on the internet please :slight_smile:

I’m with you on this one.
so here is a corrected statement, if you all agree.

Wish list of Undesired yaw I wish to be corrected (or added) in msfs 2020

• Slipstream
  • Asymmetric thrust
  • Torque
  • Gyroscopic effect
  • Aileron Drag
  • Turbulence

Feel free to add any that is not listed

Just to be clear, keeping your mouth shut is about as far from what I want as… well, anything that can be way, way far away.

I LOVE debate. I love for people to take opposing positions and argue to their last breath. Then I love to take the opposing position and argue that vehemently as well. Only then do you get the 360 picture and become sure about your conclusions.

The implied foundation of that strategy is that you never flat out declare you’re right or wrong. You say you think you’re right, and then back up your position.

Would you respect me more if I told you I was a Computer Science professor for eight years back in the 80’s and 90’s? Doesn’t matter, but think about it. How many years do you thing we kept the same textbook for each class? One, that’s how many. The field changed very rapidly back then in computer technology, languages, new programming techniques and concepts, procedural programming versus object orientation, mainframe programming versus the advent of personal computers, etc.

Now admittedly, you have to go back a couple of decades further to see how much our understanding of aerodynamics and aircraft design have changed… Wait. Do you!!!

Don’t take stubborn, absolute stands. Take strong, knowledgeable, current positions but know that it’s almost a certainty that things change and most absolute stands will be wrong. Instead, debate the topic, synthesize a new understanding, and let others be wrong.

Something…, something…, Cockpit Resource Management?

I prefer to think of it as Topical Adverse Yaw!

Dont get me wrong here I hear all of that, I just wont take any bad feeling of all this,
That being said, saying that someone is wrong is most likely true in any cases… no offence taken and none given. I think we simply have too much time to argue because of 2 reasons.
1 - the virus
2 - msfs has not yet developed a satisfactory simulator (at least the physics of it).

2 Likes

Something every (flight sim) pilot should have above their bed to look at before going to sleep :upside_down_face:.

3 Likes

Agreed! Same here. I’m old, work from home (close to retirement), sick of Covid, but most importantly, love debate. I’m frequently guilty of stirring the pot, but generally have a positive influence and promote education.

No offense to you and none taken. If you don’t insult me, I’ll insult myself and it gets pretty sad.

2 Likes

I see what you did there. :sweat_smile:

Maybe that\s why Microsoft did not open comms ingame, they know it will get messy!

1 Like

Hey, that’s really good. I love the definition of Airmanship. Is this from some airline CRM course?

Something is missing… haha
I would add stay in shape in physical skills :stuck_out_tongue: