Stopped OVRService causes MSFS loading to hang for 3 minutes

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

NO

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes

Brief description of the issue:

This is VR specific. If you have the OVRService set to stopped, it causes a 3-minute loading hitch.
Some VR users keep the OVRService stopped so the Oculus home app doesn’t keep randomly opening all the time, and only start it when they want to use VR. You don’t always use VR with MSFS, so sometimes you open MSFS without starting the OVRService. MSFS should just detect the service status of OVRService , and move on immediately if stopped.

See full report and debug process @
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/fast-loading-now-slow-loading/536048

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

If you have an Oculus VR headset you will have the Oculus services installed. Use Oculus tray tool to stop the OVRService, or use the Windows Task Manager service tab to stop it.
Try starting Steam version of MSFS, and it will get to ~85% loading bar and then hang for ~3 minutes.
Start the OVRService and you will experience a normal loading time without the hitch

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Ryzen 3700X, 32GB Ram, RTX2060OC, SSD’s

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

SU10 Beta 4 was the first version I encountered this issue with

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

It’s ridiculous we need to get votes to get a showstopper bug looked at by the developers, for critical front end loading functionality.

Do I need to submit this as a ticket instead, or something?

Same issue. Just voted!

It happened to me as well, and only by chance I manged to make the connection between the VR service of quest2 and the hanging of the load screen…
major issue and…no fix yet…

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes, I’ve been struggling with loading times between 8 and 10 minutes for months, and after being clued in by another user, Starting up OVRServer makes my sim start up in 3-4 minutes again. This is REALLY weird, the headset isn’t even connected.

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Not having OVRServer started, makes the sim load really slow (over 5 minutes of sitting idle at 80% of the loading bar), having it running, makes the sim load at normal speed.
it’s OVRServer_x64.exe in my case.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Zendesk Request #175070

Yes, Make a Zendesk ticket, only true way to get it in the system, and the more tickets, the better.

I did, a while back. No response.

This would be a better system if issue discovery and discussion were automatically linked to zendesk.

Anyways, glad my solution (temp as it is, hopefully) has helped a few people suffering long load times.

1 Like