Strange stutter issue every 2secs since UK update

I’m having an issue with a game stutter that happens every 2 seconds, this has come up since the UK update (sorry, yes, I know…)strangely enough it didnt happen on one flight on friday flying from Nantes Atlantique to Gatwick but has affected nearly everything else that ive done. I’ve been using the Working Title CJ4, stock Cessna 172, TBM930 and DA40 all with the same issue…I’ve gone through the settings and played around with detail level, graphcis card, turning off the photometry, AI and live traffic etc but nothing is making any difference. Now is this just data being streamed into my computer causing a pause (spinning wheel in lower right hand corner of screen is a possible hint at this) oo is it somthing else. System is a 3ghz i7-9700, 16Gb Ram and a Nividia RTX 2060 , now the game is running from an HDD not my SDD (thats needed for work) which could potentially be the cause but this problem has only come up since the update, I did clear the cache and disabled/erased some of the bits on my conmmunity drive (mainly ORBX london scenery)…any ideas? Not raised to Zendesk yet as I’m trying to work out if its pilot error…

16GB ram?
Do you have a custom or system managed pagefile?

AFAIK its system managed

If you aren’t size restricted in your drive, I would recommend you set 24000 and 48000 MB as your limits.
You should notice a difference.
It is a known issue (I have 16Gb ram as well).

1 Like

I have 32GB of RAM and the stutter is also back. Previously, it was caused by the propeller mod. Not sure what it could be this time.

1 Like

Even some 32GB systems are having some luck converting to a custom size pagefile.
It might be worth a try, you can always put it back.

1 Like

I did try a left-field fix this morning by pushing all of the game graphics settings to Ultra which apparently can ease the wait times to shift data from the CPU and GPU as the GPU supposedly is working harder to process more data…no joy, the game does still does judder every 2 seconds but I have to admit the UK photometry looks amazing. Obviously 60fps is not going to happen on my system but I was impressed that it did work ok: I flew into London City to test this half expecting to be able to fry an egg on the top of my system unit as it attempted to render Canary Wharf!
So, now to alter the pagefile settings so will try the suggested fix…

If it always 2 seconds, no matter how long your running msfs,check for other running apps. The occasional stutter will happen but consistent timed stutters makes me think something else is causing this.
Also check your network and/or wifi for thingss connecting to the internet.

It is well observed that each update fluctuates, where it improves the simulator run, where it deteriorates. The latter case, on the other hand, is a rather gross deterioration. Let’s just say they were made properly, without wasting our time.

Nope, no joy with changing the pagefile settings, excatly the same issue with the judder so Im back to square one with this.
TBH I’m really confused with this as the system was running smoothly to the UK update, I also use my computer for high end 3D CAD modelling (running multiple 250Mb+ model files) and rendering/visualisation and photoshop etc and it works really well at that despite it being quite mid-spec. Only option now is probably to wait until the flight model update (AFAIK due some point in March) and see if that solves the issue. :thinking: :confused:

Set all profile settings for MSFS in Nvidia CP to default (if you ever changed them before), enable VSYNC and choose 60 fps in the in-sim Options and see if the issue still persists.

2 Likes

Might have found the source of this issue, I looked through the updates in the game itself by clicking on my user icon and noticed here were a few things that hadn’t auto-updated with the UK update: quite a few bits of the Japan update for the airports plus a big update for the ORBX Padderborn freeware (might have forgotten to do this when it started to cause the CTD issue a few weeks back) so update now done. Did a test flight from Nantes Atlantiqe to Toulouse with no issues, now doing a UK flight across London and an ILS run in to Stanstead…all seems smooth and judder free…weird…Fully expecting to return to the judder issues tomorrow but will take this as hopefully being sorted (for now)

2 Likes

Dammit, spoke too soon, judder has returned! :confused:

1 Like

I am experiencing precisely the same problem as shown on your example video. Same stutter timing, etc. I have tried the various fixes listed but to no avail. The problem has only been present since the latest update. Prior to that there was absolutely no problem, with excellent smooth output.
I am using i5 10600 @ 3.30 GHz and GTX1060, 3 Gb, previously with superb results.
When I switch on Developer-FR graph there is a yellow spike each time the output stalls. Unfortunately there is no indication of what each of the graphed colours represent. Is there an explanation somewhere?

I’m getting the feeling that a this is a server/data issue rather than something to do with a hardware or system setup as the problem seems to be intermittent: I just did two flights with different aircraft with full online and AI traffic with no problems at all and smooth graphics all the way: latest mod working title CJ4 (which just gets better and better BTW) from Gibraltar to Ibiza and a DA40 flight across North Wales with a lot of online traffic around. Last nights flight from Bournemouth to Gatwick with same CJ4 and nothing different on system or game setup had the judder issue so it could just be a data or server overload/speed issue when there are a lot of people using the system…ho hum :thinking:

Ok, update time: The game update #3 didnt solve this issue and its pretty much constatnt now I decided to do some more fault finding: the gra[hcis card driver has been update to the latest one from Nvidia and I m using the auto-detect setting from the Nvidia GForce experience panel so everything is pretty much set at mid level graphcis for the sim. I also completely clearing out my community folder jsut incase anything was causing conflicts…no luck, still the judder every 2 or 3 seconds. I’ve just put the sim in developer mode and opened up the FPS/Graphics performance panel and it looks like something is causing the GPU performance to dip every 2 or three seconds, Its doing this at all times when the game is running, eg here is the map screen:

I’m afraid to say that Guy7001 and I have exactly the same continuing problem (2 seconds smooth play - 0.5 secs pause - then repeated ). Since my last post I resorted to contact with Zendesk. An excellent response in terms of reply speed, etc but to date there has not been a proposed solution which corrects the problem. As suggested I reinstalled the graphics driver (GTX1060, 3 Gb) - no success. I ensured that the graphics card was working on default settings, i.e. not overclocked - no luck. I refused the suggestion that a different card may help - no chance at those prices. I deleted the manual and rolling caches - but no luck. Support said “We are working hard on potential fixes for these previously reported issues, and hope a fix for the issue is coming in one of our latest updates. GTX driver updates could fix the issue as well when they come along.” That is no real consolation to those of us who want to use what we have paid for, with the right performance. I must repeat that the system worked fine, wonderfully smoothly, until one day it didn’t and has not done since.

I’ve never had a £60 application which is potentially so bug-ridden, at least in my (and Guy7001’s) case.

My next step is to do a complete reinstall of the whole system - all 10 DVDs worth + all the subsequent updates. Could take some time. Then I’ll test and report back with good news - I hope.

I’m going to try a complete delete and clean install to see if this helps but frankly I’m not holding my breath. Real pity as the sim is awesome, its just got this glitch since the UK update.

1 Like

Today I took the bull by the horns and decided to uninstall the existing FS, clean the SSD drive and then reinstall from my 10 retail disks. That in itself took ages (although one can’t happily go walkies when it’s pouring down) and then I submitted the Activation Code. That’s when the problems started.

Mr Microsoft reported that the code had already been redeemed. So I searched the Microsoft Store site, after logging in, only to find that there is no sign of the application anywhere in my owned apps - but the list does include Candy Crush Saga which I have never ‘owned’.

So at the moment I’m stuck with an SSD loaded with 103 Gb of Flight Sim data etc but with nowhere to go. All I need is the software launcher but where I get it from is anyone’s guess.

Why on earth does a multinational organisation the size of Microsoft make life so difficult that folk who just want a bit of lockdown escapism have to jump through the hoops in an attempt to solve a problem (the reported stutters above) and still get nowhere?

I now regret buying the retail disks rather than taking the direct download from MS but at the time I thought it was the only way to start flying.

Guidance would be heartily appreciated.

My only suggestion is to make sure that you are using the same login as you originally used to activate the game as I would expect that the code is linked to that account. Otherwise you may be able to contact microsoft with proof of original purchase?