Stunt plane while on my drive to work yesterday

Hi

Was driving to work yesterday and heard this loud engine noise suddenly, first thought was a motorbike, but before I knew it a small stunt plane flew overhead, must have been easily 1000ft, maybe lower.

It was circling the immediate area doing all sorts of stunts, like loop the loop and fairly low flying. It was flying over a country park but the area around it is built up and has busy roads, he done the loop the loop over the main road as well, as it was directly in front of me.

Was cool to watch, but quite off putting while your trying to drive.

Anyway had me thinking isn’t there rules in place where this sort of thing can be done, and height restrictions?
Like doing a loop the loop over a busy road seems a little wrong, considering there has been serious accidents in the past from similar things.

This was in an outer borough of London.

This briefing paper might be of interest.
Also see Section 3 of the GENERAL RULES, COLLISION AVOIDANCE AND PROTECTION OF PERSONS AND PROPERTY

1. 4.Aerobatic flights
  2. 5.Landing and taking off within congested areas and near open-air assemblies
  3. 6.Test flying over congested areas
    :slightly_smiling_face:
1 Like

If I read that correctly, aerobatic flight over a congested area is not permitted.

Even though there is a country park, the aircraft was doing stunts over a town and busy main road.

Not trying to sound like some air police here, but was just generally curious of the rules.

Thanks

Pretty cool, but yeah, not a smart idea over roads.

1 Like