Stutter Fix - Sim Update 3

that’s what I initially thought - 32GB alone on my system should be enough,

however, my system was tanking - stuttering badly - in VR in dense sceneries like LA, New York, London…

& when checked my physical RAM usage it was 97% with red warning text in HWiNFO,

the culprit was excessive filepage swapping,

the W10 automatic virtual memory management was failing with this SU3 version of MFS,

can now fly anywhere with much better results.

This works for me also. Thx

1 Like

My MSFS has never gone above 12GB Ram. I have 16.

I happily let Windows swap data from RAM:

1. because the data hasn’t been used for some amount of time,
  2. RAM is freed up allowing Windows to respond very quickly to memory requests made by processes or threads,
  3. if the old data is needed it can be retrieved quickly from virtual storage,
  4. the Windows overhead to manage memory if measurable is negligible,
  5. physical RAM is still expensive and limited especially if all the motherboard memory slots are filled. Most people don’t like taking their computer into a repair shop and pay for the labor to install more RAM.

Not using virtual storage is like retuning to the old MSDOS days. If a program used too much ram, then an extended memory card had to be installed, IRQs would have to be moved around, or the app would have to be fixed to use memory better by having to change disks while the program runs. Good times!

I admit that Windows memory management is not “the best” compared to other operating systems. However, for MSFS it is the only thing we have. If not having virtual memory works for you, great! But others should allow Windows to continue managing memory.

1 Like

In my case I can definitely say the stutters since SU3 aren’t memory-related.
Didn’t have them before SU3 and when they occur my RAM, CPU and GPU are far from max. capacity. Last time only 12 of my 64 GB RAM were in use, I was flying between two islands with autogen scenery and CPU and GPU were below 40%.
My money is on the time it takes to load the scenery. So maybe a network or server problem on Asobo’s side. Can’t rule out my internet connection to 100% but since I never had any problems with streaming and downloads, since it coincides exactly wit SU3 and since I am not the only one with the problem, I’d tend to dismiss it for now.

1 Like

If memory serves me right, they acknowledged the issue on the recent Q&A and mentioned that a hot fix might be released. That doesn’t appear to be the case however as there hasn’t been any updates.

Just tried VR on SU3 and it’s awful - Ryzen 5950, RTX 3090, 64GB RAM, SSD - and it’s a micro-stutter fest. Going to try x-plane tomorrow to see if it’s any better.

If you are stuttering in 2D you have other problems. But it will help both!

works for me I have it set up on another hard drive too got rid of the stuttering

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:
Thanks for sharing

Adding a second custom paging file on another disk REALLY improved performance for me. Like night and day. It was basically unplayable after update 3, but now it’s back to the way it was.

I’m using the standard paging file on my main disk, and a 48GB file on a second SSD.

I’m running 16GB of RAM.

1 Like

You seem to completely miss the point that virtual memory (disk storage) is thousands of times slower than ram, even if you have an M.2 drive.

Get enough ram and there is totally no need for slow virtual memory.

And memory is not expensive now. It used to cost 200 quid for 4MB in the early 90s and back in the early 70s was £1 a byte.

Now we buy multi-gigabytes of the stuff.

The only reason virtual memory is ever a good thing is if you can’t get enough ram in your machine, either because of mobo spec limitations or because you don’t want to spend the money on it.

1 Like

Adding a second custom paging file, didn’t help at all, in my case

hi,

for quite a while i have believed that the various flight sims could definitely benefit with 64GB of physical system RAM,

MFS with intense addons running at 4K res or VR will definitely benefit from 64GB of quality RAM now,

my current 32GB RAM (whilst benefitting from the Virtual Memory manual tweak - as compared to Windows Auto allocated pagefile) is now not enough for maximum performance,

will be soon installing 64GB of 3200 CL16 RAM!

I just got 32 more at 3600…no change whatsoever.

Of course virtual storage is supposed to be slower! Disks per GB are about 1/10th to 1/100th the price for RAM.

Most PC users have no idea how to buy and add more RAM. They have no idea how to select RAM from the thousands of choices available. Manufacture? Speed? Form factor? Is DDR important? And this assumes no mobo or CPU upgrades are needed. Personally I think most users if they were told that more RAM is needed, they’d probably just buy a new computer.

And if you consider disk drives or SSDs are too slow to be used as virtual storage, RAM is slow compared to L1/L2/L3 caches. For the ultimate maximum performance why not elimate the slow RAM and just use the CPU caches?

Forgive the ignorance but is this paging/virtual memory fix saying to turn off the paging file, to manually set a lower max value or to redirect the paging file to a secondary SSD drive?

For what it’s worth, I have 48GB RAM in my machine. Yesterday I thought I’d take a look and could see that, at max, I was using 16GB of it but that I had c.52% of my 20GB paging file used up consistently. It did make me wonder why my paging file was even being used while my RAM just sat there enjoying it’s free space.

So I couldnt take it anymore yesterday, I broke out my backup notebook, witch is pretty much the same as my desktop

Specs.
Desktop
i7-6
1080 ti +12 gigs
16 gigs ram
512 ssd boot drive / 1T hhd / (2) 2T ssd
Notebook
i7-10
1660 Ti +8 gigs of ram
16 gigs ram
1T nme2 drive

The notebook has almost nothing on it, its a spare incase the Desktop goes down and has been sitting in the closet for around 6 months. I installed on the notebook yesterday download speed of the install was actually about 15-20 mbs faster then the other machine downloads at.

So anyways … Installed game joystick and TV fired up flight sim, wow this looks just as good as the 1080 and it loaded faster as well. Go through all the rigamaroll setting up things assists off etc. Launch my standard flight Burke Lakefront to Eire. Game loads weather looks right (notice wow that really a pretty look sunrise) apply throttle, roll down the runway, so far so good, get headed the right direction along the lakeshore trim the plane, and watch the pretty scenery. Steam FPS counter is showing 45-50 fps on ultra … so it out performs the desktop by about 10 fps. 5 min into the flight BAM! stutter stutter fps drops from 45 to 7.

So thats two machines that should run the game but wont. But Im sure Asobo spent all last week and the weekend and we’ll have a patch to fix this in the morning…Yeah Right

48GB of physical RAM should be plenty for MFS (i’m finding 32GB not quite enough now)…

with 48GB i would suggest to let W10 automatically manage VM pagefile size ,

then check your RAM usage at dense scenery areas such as London, New York… & any 3PD addon airports you may have…

I’ve reduced my settings so much the active memory stayed under 6 GB ram all flight. (16 GB physical, now waiting over 6 weeks for upgrade to arrive, night mare) The allocated memory sat at 18 GB (no clue why the game allocates so much, but at least hard faults per sec stayed at 0 generally)

Anyway with terrain detail at 100, rest high settings, still massive stuttering periodically. Slow down to 5 fps. It didn’t get as bad as not having any terrain under me anymore but still trees appearing late, a plane that’s hard to control and key presses that get ignored because the fps is too low.

Normally this behavior is only triggered by heavily abusing slew mode or sim rate, it has similarities to the sim falling behind with updating the terrain in memory. Yet comparable to having 30 GB allocated and 12 GB active memory at terrain 200 and using slew mode. Now it occurs naturally with half the draw distance.

Anyway it’s not ram, my ram was never taxed all the times the heavy stuttering and low fps occurred. Also in dev mode view, cpu and gpu ram were under half of what it lists as max. Extra ram would certainly be helpful for higher draw distances and London, yet last night I was over Papua New Guinea at terrain 100. Bare mountains from a bit away from the plane.

I must admit I thought you would say the opposite. Given I have a lot of RAM I all but imagined I would turn pagefile off so that it was forced into loading everything into RAM. So far MSFS hasn’t used more than 18GB at any given point. That was flying over London for the first time.