Stutter/FPS drop when panning camera views

Sounds like the usual mainthread limited problems. I suggest raising graphic settings (but not LOD) to ultra… and without setting any caps turn Vsync on in NVCP (unless you have Gsync). Raise renderscale or lower LOD to cure stutters or lower both for more fps. I aim for 25-30 fps at a large default airport and this gives me 40-50 in the air.

3 Likes

I had this problem when coming into land, which made it impossible to do anything - I had previously changed the ‘Terrain Level of Detail’ to 200 which I’m sure was the problem. It makes sense as I was of course near to the terrain. I set it back to 100 and have had not had that problem since.

Solution is to turn off live weather ( in the menu not toolbar!) then turn it back on and the stutters should have gone away.

1 Like

No, turning off live weather does not make a difference for me. Also, this issue got fixed some days ago by Asobo

1 Like

I would never ever aim for fps below 40. I just find it waaaay too unsmooth and 2010 style. I do have a Gsync monitor which isnt active below 40fps. I would never want to miss the smoothness of gsync. So 40fps is the bare minimum I always aim for. And in MSFS its very much possible even with my 2070S and High settings on 1440p. Just the stutters and dips below are the problem. But I will wait for the patch this eveninig, maybe it helps.
BTW, I tried raising some GPU graphic settings to be limited by GPU rather than mainthread, but also didnt make a difference. Still stutters when turning the camera

1 Like

I took a closer look at my VRAM usage, but it doesnt spike above 7GB for me. For a test I lowered texture resolution to Med and thus the VRAM usage, but it also didnt make a difference

Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to have been fixed for everyone.
There are still posts coming in here on it.
I hope you find the issue!!

3 Likes

Here below I try to describe more in details…
All of sudden, everything was good in the morning, right after I install newest Nvidia driver or the latest windows update, I can’t remember which one first…
and then I cannot load into any airport normally, it took me 10 times longer duration to get into the cockpit, and the frame rate is chopping like 1 fps or 2 in external view, cannot operate anymore, can’t play anymore, normally it runs at least above 50 fps, 2K resolution ultra setting (RTX 3080) in VHHH paid airport

To be exact, when it is in the cockpit, when I move the camera freely, it appears okay with good fps, but when it is in external view, when the camera moves, it drops to 1 or 2 fps, the frame rate is DEAD when the camera is panning, but it is strange when it moves up and down, it seems okay

So far I have done below but still no luck…

(1) Updated latest windows (Win 10)
(2) Updated and complete re-install latest Nvidia Driver again and again (511.79 which was released yesterday)
(3) Downgrade to previous Nvidia Driver (5.11.xx), tried 2020 version, still no luck
(4) Deleted manual cache and rolling cache
(5) Verified MS2020 game files in STEAM apps, it says complete with no issue
(6) Run admin cmd sfc/scannow, no issue
(7) Tried above everything with no luck and frustrated, I COMPLETELLY uninstall the whole FS2020, delete the whole folder in C: drive, reinstall it…but the problem did’t go away!!!

Don’t know what to do now…

P.S
I have no any mods in the community folder
I am not using VR
I am not using additional peripherals, I use only mouse, keyboard and XBOX gamepad
I use Geforce Experience to set best setting FS2020
I am sure the graphics card does not have any problem, it runs smoothly on other games and application

not best you can do :wink:

1 Like

I tried uninstall the GeForce experience as well, no luck

no, un-installing is necessary… Gerforce Exp. is in generally not a bad tool , but Optimize ( or also auto-optimze ) is not best choice… Choose then Reset Optimization and disabled Auto-Optimzation and let the game decide…

Latest win10 update I installed was yesterday the kb5010472 (.net) & kb5010415 (cum.)… You have different ones ? It tried spanning in middle of VHHH and see no issues so far…

What is your PRE-Cache Setting ?

actually every airport would have the same problem, including discovery, training, challenge etc…
whenever the camera pans, it stuttered, like 0 fps

Same windows updates as you mentioned…

Don’t know what is pre-cache setting…I suppose you are referring to the “Data” page in-game, right?
I always let it default setting, no change of anything and suddenly has this serious fps issue.
380 hours flying now, very frustrated…

1 Like

there is a in-game setting called like “off-screen pre-cache” ( rel. new setting ).

The OP mentioned it too:

But I remember that we get report about in case ‘Higher Settings for this’ :slight_smile:
( note: I have it at Ultra Setting )

One example post:

Not sure whether its relevant in your case, but may be you can have a look into.

so here is my update.
I am 100% sure the “Photogrammetry” is ON before I get the zero fps issues
So today I tried turn it off, everything back to normal
So I don’t believe my eyes, so I turn it back on, the zero fps problem comes back!!!
The question is…why???
What is just happening?
I am sure I can turn it on without issue previously, because it is by default, why now?
What have I lost if I turn photogrammetry OFF?

yep… this is mentioned in the other topics too… I can only guess, may temp. network / server stuff…
( do you use add-ons like google-maps-addon ? )

Photogrammetry use the photos to render the scenery, so looks more natural. Its not available for all cities…

There are some videos and lots of topics in forum, e.g quick shot in YT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0T-7ggr8Tw

I have the same issue since SU9.

5 Likes

I am experiencing the same. To the point where I can’t get anymore than 10 frames after 3-4 hours of flight time. Heavy CPU usage.

1 Like

I’ve noticed off-screen terrain pre-caching actually knocks my fps down by 1/2 now… especially with payware airports like FSimStudios CYTZ and FlyTampa KBOS.

Was there any official statement on the issue?
I’ve been experiencing it since the big DX12-Xbox update, I had no problem whatsoever before then, now I’ve been dropping down to 3fps when panning the camera.
I’ll play round with more settings later on but I’m sure photogrammetry shouldn’t be an issue since I’m in the middle of Cambodia.
PC performance is also 100% not the problem.

I have spent the last 2 days trying every possible fix I can think of and nothing works. Unplayable in 2D or VR because you can’t even turn the plane without the game almost freezing. Everything else runs fine on this PC, DCS is running great. I am at a complete and total loss. I went so far as to do a full game re-install, clean community folder, clean nvidia install etc. etc. etc. Even at the lowest settings possible I get the stuttering.

2 Likes