Stutter/FPS drop when panning camera views

I just double checked and the video examples are with Pre-Caching set to Ultra and Rolling Cache off.

your tLOD setting and resolution ?

Have you been keeping track of the remaining lifespan of your SSDs? Personally, I think you are underestimating the lifespan of SSD. Donā€™t forget that HDDs have a limited amount of reads and writes before failure. Keep track of HDDs stats using SMART.

Regarding the amount of RAM and cache usage, donā€™t forget that Windows and the GPU share both RAM and VRAM.

If you want to keep the Rolling Cache in RAM, there are posts elsewhere in this Forum that describe creating a virtual drive in RAM and creating the Rolling Cache on it for each session.

If you want OPTIONS, then create some repeatable tests to document each optionā€™s performance and benefit. Then add it to the Wishlist so everyone can vote on it.

SSDs are limited in writy cyclesā€¦ HDDs have KPIs like ā€œWorkload per yearā€.
But yes, in special if users not fill its SSDs to 100% , the lifetime is longer as some users expect.

On other side Iā€™am still not a fan for extensive usage of e.g. huge pagefiles. Then you can come quickly to the end of the ssds life :wink:

But the main intressting info related to the stutters while panning we still not know from @eduonkhl : the LOD and the resolution. He own not realy new hardware, I have the same in meanwhile years old i78700K. The RAM, he mentioned, is currenlty not the limiting factor and also the Rolling-Cache is not relevant here. Lots of users fly in meanwhile completly without RollingCache ( Iā€™am too since a short while ). The Pre-Cache setting to Ultra, as often mentioned in that topic, is enough to cache the area around.

I am having a slightly different issue on XBSX.

When you pan round the camera in the cockpit you can see lag on screen. It is like a ghosting effect where the image does not stay in sync as if the lag on the TV goes haywire. My TV has an input lag of 15ms and other games are stable with no stutter.
You can physically see the wing tips for example produce a ghost image which makes it look like lag when panning around in external view.
The image is supposed to be fixed so it looks smooth when panning round.

in SU10 this issue still has not been fixed, also when moving around in the drone camera the FPS also drops

3 Likes

I hope they fix this. Itā€™s pretty annoying

4 Likes

After SU10 it appears also in my sim.

When panning left or right my CPU usage increases to 100% and GPU usage falls to 80% and i have stutter and fps loss.

There has never been such behavior before.

On SU9 was everything ok, cpu usage was max 60% and GPU always on 99% and i donā€™t had that massive fps falls.

3 Likes

I can also confirm - massive stutters when panning camera or flying low. Still not fixed

3 Likes

I know Iā€™m late but I didnā€™t notice someone replied my bad. Resolutions tested are 1680x1050 and I think it was 2520x1575 or something using Nvidia DLDSR at 2.25x. Also tried with a ā€œnormalā€ 16:9 1080p monitor to make sure that is not the issue but behaviour is the same. Settings are everything maxed out except instead of 400 LOD it is set to 150.

I know the lifespan of SSDs. The 980 pro switched from the 970 proā€™s MLC memory to TLC which has much shorter lifespan. The 2TB version has a 1200 TBW lifespan. This is a decent lifespan however donā€™t forget that many SSDs nowadays have QLC memory which has much worse lifespan compared to TLC still and with lower capacity models you get to that limit much quicker than you realize.

This also is not a matter of SSD lifespan. Itā€™s a matter of principle. Wearing out your pricy SSD shouldnā€™t be a requirenment to be able to play the game properly just because MS doesnā€™t know how to use RAM properly to fix this issue. Also since RAM is significantly faster memory than any SSD it should further improve on the microstutter. Itā€™s for this reason I wonā€™t create a Rolling Cache in RAM, simply because itā€™s not my job to fix an issue on a software I paid the full price of the premium deluxe edition forā€¦

Regarding the recources Windows uses, I think I used dedicated memory usage and not allocated, not sure though. Microsoft already CONSTANTLY writes garbage telemetry and whatnot to your SSD via Windows to later send it to their server. At this point itā€™s literally spyware where the issue is so bad and hogs up so many background recources that some games run faster on Linux with a whole translation layer between. Absolutely ridiculous.

1 Like

Resolution was 2520x1575 I think (1680x1050 with DLDSR 2.25x). Everything else is maxed out except LOD which is set to 150 out of 400. The hardware is not the issue though. If the cpu was so limiting the same stutter would be there while using rolling cache, yet it is not which very much leads to assume improper memory management compensated for by rolling cache. I bet if the memory management was done properly the 1% and 0.1% lows would much improve since RAM is a significantly faster memory type than SSDs.

we have also a topic in which the direction to the sun is mentioned, may beā€¦

rolling-cache I use in meanwhile no longer or only in very low portion like 2gigā€¦

1 Like

This is still around, too. Quite depressing to see mainthread hit 40-50ms with a 5800x3d on a fresh Windows 11 install

3 Likes

MSFS CPU does a lot more than create frames for the GPU. It does a lot of file I/O, network I/O, and registry I/O and anything else we asking it to do. All of these take time adding milliseconds to the main thread.

Iā€™m aware of how much is being asked of DX11ā€™s four threads. More just adding another data point to the issue.

same for me- still not fixed. :-((

1 Like

Iā€™ve flown for several hours on my system without major problems
Yesterday the simulator had a freeze after about 1 hour of flying the PMDG737 (which is not really a new problem)
As I tried to fly this route again now I have major problems with stuttering with panning the camera.
in outside view and in inside view as soon as the outside is displayed through the windows while panning.

Thatā€™s really weird as the SIM worked fine for weeks now and I did not change anything.

3 Likes

I have the 5600x OCed to 4.84Ghz, RTX2080S undervolted, and I play 4K mostly high settings with DLSS quality and DX11. Iā€™m getting 48-52 FPS in KLGA with the PMDG 737 and FSLTL. Iā€™m limited by main thread despite lower end GPU and 4K resolution (i always use DX11 as with DX12 I lose FPS and GPU gets too hot) but I donā€™t get much sttuers any more after I set pre render cache to Ultra thanks to this threadā€¦when I set it to medium or low the frame rate dips to low 20s and causes stuttering on panning. However with this set to ultra now never lets the frames dip below high 30s in NYC now which is much better than before. I think the root cause is as mentioned by others poor caching. But honestly Iā€™m happy with the performance Iā€™m getting given my $400 GPU and $200 CPU. Iā€™m actually getting better performance in MSFS than some older games like Xplane 11 in same locations with extra addons and plugins.

I have a 5800x3d and a 3080ti 32GB Ram and have this issue. I turned off photogrammetry scenery and the problem was gone. Panning the camera was suddenly smooth again. It has something to do with that. Although not ideal, Itā€™s a temp work around.

1 Like